It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama administration proposes 15 cent Christmas tree tax

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by sicksonezer0

Real trees are a lot more work. Sure. For many, like my self, it's more like a ritual of going out to the farm, drinking hot cider as you trudge through the snow looking for the perfect tree. hauling it back, stopping by the Christmas shop and getting some fresh wreaths for the holiday. I wouldn't trade that in for a molded plastic piece of # made in China.

And for the Enviro's out there, cutting down a Christmas Tree, which is then replanted, benefits the environment because young coniferous trees in the first 10 years produce 2 times as much oxygen than giant old trees.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee
reply to post by Violater1

Obama is only following orders as usual...TPTB say "Jump" and he says "How High Massah ?"....

Did you seriously post this????!!! I'm quoting it & I STILL can't believe it.

This is the most racist thing I've ever seen on ATS. O.M.G.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Ok mate, check your sources.

mediamatters.org...

USDA received a proposal for a national research and promotion program for Christmas trees from the Christmas Tree Checkoff Task Force (Task Force). The program will be financed by an assessment on Christmas trees domestic producers and importers and would be administered by a board of industry members selected by the Secretary of Agriculture (Secretary). The initial assessment rate will be $0.15 per Christmas tree domestically produced or imported into the United States and could be increased up to $0.20 per Christmas tree. The purpose of the program will be to strengthen the position of fresh cut Christmas trees in the marketplace and maintain and expand markets for Christmas trees within the United States.

The Task Force proposed that a referendum be held among domestic producers and importers three years after the first assessments begin to determine whether they favor continuation of the program.

$0.15 for domestic trees. $0.20 for imported.
edit on 11/9/2011 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

Thank you for point this out. If you live along the Canadian border and buy one of their trees, you will actually Pay More. Since you live in Portland, you may want to stay with USA trees.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Ewww Canadian trees?
I only buy trees I cut down myself, and I'll gladly pay $.15 to help keep the tradition alive!

By the way, it's not actually clear whether or not the tax is paid at time of purchase. From my understanding of the law it's an assessment, not a tax (technicality) so that say a grower cuts down 200 trees, regardless of how many they sell, the grower pays an assessment of $30.

Or if a grower in Canada exports 200 trees they pay the assessment of $40. We, the consumer, pay nothing. That's my understanding anyways.
edit on 11/9/2011 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick

Originally posted by nh_ee

Obama is only following orders as usual...TPTB say "Jump" and he says "How High Massah ?"....

Did you seriously post this????!!! I'm quoting it & I STILL can't believe it.

This is the most racist thing I've ever seen on ATS. O.M.G.

This is par for the course around here, racist stuff is said all of the time and nothing is done about it.

You could report it though.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Save a tree and plant one. I'm tired of taxes on everything....I want 1 tax for everything. Stop nickle and diming me to death. Evil greedy tax collectors should be outlawed!
I like going out and cutting one down with the family.
If your lucky enough to have property you can grow and cut your own. Or have friends that will let you come over and cut one on their property.
Though if I'm going out of town for the holidays I don't go out and cut one down. I just use one of my large plants that looks like a Christmas tree...lol...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Originally posted by Rockpuck

It wasn't the Administrations idea, it was actually the Christmas Tree growers. They wanted a way to work with the Government to have a Federal advert program supporting Christmas Trees... the method of raising the funds (15 cent tax) was actually agreed to in 2008 under President Bush.

This is like saying the Banksters asked Obama for a bail out, and saying, "It wasn't the Administrations idea."

It is like saying you didn't read your own article.

Some in the industry wants to assess a tax in order to fund a promotional effort to increase the
popularity of the fresh Christmas tree. This is to combat the increased popularity of artificial trees,
by launching some sort of marketing effort...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Two threads based on biased BS again...

It is like they don't even check their facts...just as long as they can hate on Obama.

Obama 2012

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko
Two threads based on biased BS again...

...just as long as they can hate on Obama.

Obama 2012

You say this like it's a bad thing

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join