It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama administration proposes 15 cent Christmas tree tax

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The Obama administration is proposing a new tax on Christmas trees to fund a board promoting the holiday trees.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s proposal, which is listed in the Nov. 8 Federal Register, would allow the Obama regime to levy a 15 cent tax on Christmas trees.
The U.S. taxpayer would fund a shovel ready task force, entitled “The Christmas Tree Promotion Board.” According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture,” the board would seek to revitalize the marketing and image of fresh-cut Christmas trees, which have been overwhelmed in recent years by sales of artificial trees.”
Only this administration would consider taxing Christmas trees and call it a " promotion" for holiday trees.

More of the story here.
thehill.com...
edit on 9-11-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
oh the humanity, .15 cents more for silly trees for a silly pagan holiday.

There are people sleeping in tents right now in America. Give it a rest.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
two things.

first - this process was started in 2008 - under Bush, as requested by american xmas tree growers.

Second - www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatislave
oh the humanity, .15 cents more for silly trees for a silly pagan holiday.

There are people sleeping in tents right now in America. Give it a rest.

Where can you find a Christmas tree for one dollar

Perhaps you would be outraged at a 15 percent tax on tents.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
mediamatters.org...

Right-wing media figures are accusing the Obama administration of seeking to impose a tax on Christmas trees; but the Christmas tree industry has been working since 2008 -- before President Obama was elected -- to partner with the Department of Agriculture and establish a marketing campaign funded by tree growers in order to promote the sale of fresh Christmas trees.

But you know, don't let this get in the way of a good anti-Obama post.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

We already have to (in most cases)pay to buy the tree AND pay to dispose of the tree....isn't that enough.
15 cents might not break anyone,its just the idea
edit on 9-11-2011 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
If any one complains about 15 cents, you shouldn't be spending your money on a tree.
I mean come on, you can find 15 cents on the sidewalk. You might even find enough to buy the whole d*** tree.
Give it a rest.
edit on 9-11-2011 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Just buy a fake one, they last for years...problem solved.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
You can cut your own tree from any national forest for the price of a $5 tag available at ranger stations.

Everybody should do this. It's cheap and a good way to get the family out for some winter hiking.
Well, I should say anyone within a practical distance to a national forest should do this.
edit on 9-11-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Is it a 15 cent or 15% tax? Cause I paid $65 for my tree last year, so it's a pretty big difference. But it's a once a year thing and if they think it could really revitalize the industry it's probably worth it. I live near Shelton, WA and they used to be known as Christmas Tree USA or something like that but they've been struggling since their market dried up. I loath artificial trees and would gladly help in their demise.

edit on 9-11-2011 by Josephus because: changed there to their

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

It wasn't the Administrations idea, it was actually the Christmas Tree growers. They wanted a way to work with the Government to have a Federal advert program supporting Christmas Trees... the method of raising the funds (15 cent tax) was actually agreed to in 2008 under President Bush.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I'm as anti Obama as they come, but some folks really find the dumbest things to whine and complain about.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Good morning my friend, just to let you know this is already being talked about here.

Link: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Obama is only following orders as usual...TPTB say "Jump" and he says "How High Massah ?"....

Presumably the Powers that Be are now invested in the Christmas Tree industry (since they own everything else).

And Now want us to even pay for their commercials ...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
People still use real trees for xmas? Really, it doesnt make any sense to me, all the hassle to kill a living tree by cutting it down, dragging it to the car, tieing it down, dragging it inside, while tree sap drips everywhere, and on your carpet, needles everywhere, that constantly fall off and you will be finding them for the next 5 years, and the abandoned birds nest that is full of bacteria and god knows what, all to have a REAL xmas tree?

I bought a fake one from depot years ago for $100, has the lights on it, and it comes apart in 3 sections, we have fun decorating it, and i have even more fun because its less work, after xmas i throw it in a bag and put it back in the shed.

fun fun fun.

edit on 9-11-2011 by sicksonezer0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
If any one complains about 15 cents, you shouldn't be spending your money on a tree.
I mean come on, you can find 15 cents on the sidewalk. You might even find enough to buy the whole d*** tree.
Give it a rest.

If only one million people bought a tree for this price, that would accrue almost $150,000.00

And for what

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
Give it a rest.

^^^^^^^^IGNORANT POST WARNING! (Above)^^^^^^^^^

Try looking at the principle behind the .15 cents, not the dollar amount!
The way to boil a frog is too SLOWLY turn up the heat. And also remember that the Federal Income Tax was a TEMPORARY and VOLUNTARY tax to fund our nation's defense and infrastructure efforts. Give an inch... and you know the rest!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

It wasn't the Administrations idea, it was actually the Christmas Tree growers. They wanted a way to work with the Government to have a Federal advert program supporting Christmas Trees... the method of raising the funds (15 cent tax) was actually agreed to in 2008 under President Bush.

This is like saying the Banksters asked Obama for a bail out, and saying, "It wasn't the Administrations idea."

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Ok mate, check your sources.

mediamatters.org...

USDA received a proposal for a national research and promotion program for Christmas trees from the Christmas Tree Checkoff Task Force (Task Force). The program will be financed by an assessment on Christmas trees domestic producers and importers and would be administered by a board of industry members selected by the Secretary of Agriculture (Secretary). The initial assessment rate will be $0.15 per Christmas tree domestically produced or imported into the United States and could be increased up to $0.20 per Christmas tree. The purpose of the program will be to strengthen the position of fresh cut Christmas trees in the marketplace and maintain and expand markets for Christmas trees within the United States.

The Task Force proposed that a referendum be held among domestic producers and importers three years after the first assessments begin to determine whether they favor continuation of the program.

$0.15 for domestic trees. $0.20 for imported.
edit on 11/9/2011 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Obama reinventing himself as the new Grinch........

not only will he loose the Jewish vote in 2012, he's out to loose the Christian votes too?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join