It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens when tire chains won't do the job?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Well, you could just not go anywhere. That's not always an option though. Enter, the mattracks system.

For a hefty price tag these babies will turn any 4x4 into an off-road vehicle in a class that not even the Hummer H1 can touch. They also make them for UTV and ATVs. They're not only good for snow, but they're also capable in the mud as well. The only real downsides are the price tag (7,000-50,000 from what's floating around the net), and the 40 mph top speed on pavement.

Manufacturer's website
edit on 8-11-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
From my experiences with tracked vehicles they are not always the answer. Tracked vehicles can throw a track, which is a major pain in the "bleep" to put back on. Tracks wear out and where do you find a spare track? Furthermore, you need more tools to repair and maintain. So at first it seems like a good jump, but factoring in cost vs proper snow tires, chains (not cables), a winch, come-along and maybe a block and tackle. Perhaps you should be using snow shoes instead.

I have seen a tank get stuck on ice-- it is possible, although I have driven a loaded tractor trailer on ice with minimal issues.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowMaster

These work very differently than a real tracked vehicle. A 4x4 weighs a lot less, so the flotation you get is amazing. From a mechanical standpoint, the biggest problem I can see is the weight of the assemblies. According to their website they weigh 360 lbs each! 360 lbs per wheel, 720 lbs per axle, is a lot of weight. I wouldn't be surprised at all if these things busted axle housings on straight axle trucks. Each assembly probably weighs about 5 times what the axle was intended to handle. Not good!

Evidently it's not a problem in snow though. I'm not sure I would trust it in mud without using caution.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Pretty sweet! But, can I convert my Subaru?

I've never made the leap to snow chains but if I did I would go with these from Thule based on what I've read in a couple of Subaru forums. One of the easiest systems to install. Good snow chain systems are not cheap. Still cheaper than putting snow tracks on my Scooby Doo.

www.etrailer.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
LMAO the hummer h1 really> all the H1 is, is cheap chevy A-arm suspension and a tahoe frame.
get a chevy in the dirt and you get a ROCK alright, a useless rock just sitting there.

snow chains are more for people without 4x4 or those who have no idea how to off road...

just air down your tires to 12-20psi and you truck will go anywhere.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I can't see the photos in the first post to tell the exact application (blocked when I am at work), but my $.02.

I had a set of them for my John Deere Gator, and they were definitely not ideal in that application! They made the vehicle's turning radius about four times wider than normal, did not have much "bite" in any terrain that was not firm (good, but not excellent, snow traction and only "fair" in mud), and any time I scaled an uneven obstacle more than about 6" tall (a stone wall, for example), various front end components would either pop out of place or completely break. I had them on for about two years and probably went through for sets of ball joints. The tracks seemed to reduce the Gator's suspension travel by about half, but then again I never wanted to push it to any limits with them on. Heaven forbid the darn thing got really stuck in the middle of nowhere.

I could imagine they may work better with a regular-sized vehicle, however on a smaller vehicle, the track kit was more marketing hype than a wise investment.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

A Hummer h1 is based on the military Humvee. Not sure why ATS insists on confusing the h2 with the h1, it's kind of annoying. H1 = Arnold model, H2 = trashy suburban convert. That is all.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by therainmaker

I can see that being a problem given the unsprung weight we're talking about. The beefier the truck, probably the better off you would be. The trucks in those videos, the Bronco and the Samurai, both have stout axles for their size. I would think a vehicle with already stout axles would be preferred.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
For that price,you would be better off buying a snowmobile.And a sleigh.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Snowmobiles get really cold.
You can also haul a fair amount with these things over deep snow. I never said it was cheap, but it is very cool.

Neat little before and after type video.
That's an H3 for those of you that still don't know your hummers after almost 20 years.

edit on 9-11-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

H2 = trashy suburban convert

I second that, Iv seen these for ATV's also

edit on 9-11-2011 by ga-`tv-gi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
If you get to this you need a snow cat.

Making a ghetto truck into one doesnt cut it.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowMaster
From my experiences with tracked vehicles they are not always the answer. Tracked vehicles can throw a track, which is a major pain in the "bleep" to put back on. Tracks wear out and where do you find a spare track? Furthermore, you need more tools to repair and maintain. So at first it seems like a good jump, but factoring in cost vs proper snow tires, chains (not cables), a winch, come-along and maybe a block and tackle. Perhaps you should be using snow shoes instead.

I have seen a tank get stuck on ice-- it is possible, although I have driven a loaded tractor trailer on ice with minimal issues.

Totally correct,although tracked vehicles can be better in somesituations,tracks require more maintenance than a wheel,more parts to go wrong,and with all the latest puncture resistant products for tires track seems overcomplicated/more hassle than its worth!

For a bug-out vehicle that needs to blend the best of track and wheel together look for an argocat,those little things are nuts!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ScottishBiker420

Argos can't go through snow worth a crap though.
In fact, they've always had center ground clearance issues. About the only thing an argo is good at, is crossing slow moving water that they can float over. One rut on an ATV trail and your ultimate vehicle becomes the ultimate anchor. BAD rut clearance.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Good point...but i tend to look at most vehicles with a scope to modify,perhapswith snow-shifting equipment fitted to the front...and offsetting the drive to gain more clearance,would be hard to re-seal the hull but perhaps in a shtf scenario a vehicle that could cross water would be better in a given situation...from the experiance ive gained through my time wrenching and modifying vehicles adding these behemoth tracks to a standard drive-train without serious modifications to the gears,clutch and bearings with all the increased parasitic drag of the system would result in constant burned out clutches amongst possible stripped gears and in a apocalyptic scenario where car prts are becoming like a currency durability is key IMO

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Yes... yes you can put them on a subaru (a highly modified one anyway)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ScottishBiker420

Actually the steering knuckles, stub shafts, ball joints, and axle u-joints would take the brunt of the breakage.
The assemblies give a gear reduction in much the same way that a portal axle does, which means the only breakage would be due to lateral forces on the axle shafts themselves.
Your clutch would also be safe, unless you drive like a moron.

I'd recommend you use them on a solid axle truck, brace the axle housings, and upgrade the u-joints and stub shafts to the best you can get. Many after market companies offer upgrades for that area, because it's also a common problem when fitting bigger tires, even when using larger O.E.M. axles. Full floating axles would also be the best axles to have, because it takes all the weight off of the axle shafts. You could probably get by with standard axles with upgrades though.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Ahhi see,i thought they went straight onto the hub,and drove the track sraight off the hub,yeah in that case they seem pretty good,well apart from the service life of the tracks and when they need freeplay adjusted oiled etc etc,havent seen a set up close yet though,we dont really get stuff like that often in the UK as we dont get the mad weather often enough would love to get a 4x4 quad and shoehorn some on

top topics

join