It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's with the guy used on the commercial for the tomorrow's EAS test in the US?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
At the risk of posting yet another thread about tomorrow's EAS test and all the connected theories, this post is more about the commercial that's been broadcasted in an effort to make everyone aware of the test.

Am I the only one who finds the commercial strange in some way? I can't really put my finger on it but while it's intended to instill calm, I don't feel calm after watching it. Firstly, it looks like a commercial that could have been made in the 1970's for some reason and the way the guy speaks just has me unsettled for a reason I can't place my finger on. Maybe it's the way he says "help ME spread the word"? I don't know.

Plus, I live in the Northeastern part of the US and none of the commercials I've seen have the sign language or closed captioning (no conspiracy implied...just an observation) and all of the local news outlets here in NY are saying that the test is going to last for 30 seconds whereas the national commercial says 3 minutes.

Here's the link to WNBC Channel 4 in NY:

WNBC Channel 4

Anyone else notice any differences or have thoughts about the commercial itself?

Timidgal

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by timidgal

The reason behind the caption and sign language is for the hearing impaired.
You don't see this type of commercial everyday, maybe that's why it seems odd to you.
I don't see anything weird though.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Well he looked a little.. constipated.. aside from that... I saw nothing strange?

link   
So this test thing is going to be on tv and radio right? I don't have live tv and don't listen to radio so I won't likely hear it. Are those the only to venues they will use?

link   
I think they want as many people as possible
to know this to avoid panic. War of The Worlds
was taken from a radio show, people tuning
in thought it was real - there was a panic. Just
imagine not knowing about this and the
announcement comes on your tv or radio and
you think there is truly a national emergency?

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I just want to let everyone know, this kind of test has not been done before, as far as my middle aged years go.
I just find it odd and chilling to be quite frank. FEMA has announced in past years that they would not alert people if there was a threat of any type of apocalyptic asteroid or comet, so I see this as more of a preparation for a nuclear attack.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I saw nothing weird about it at all.

Am I the only one who has not seen a commercial for the tests though? To be honest I did not know they had commercials to alert us about the test until I saw this thread.

Well, I see nothing to be afraid of, but hey, I can give you a conspiracy to think about.

Sure would be a great time for a terrorist to start attacking, right at the moment the test begins. We would be sitting ducks.

Nah, that wont happen. I have just joked about the possibility before when I heard my area testing out the tornado/bomb sirens in the past.

I know, I am a dork.
edit on 8-11-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
I just want to let everyone know, this kind of test has not been done before, as far as my middle aged years go.
I just find it odd and chilling to be quite frank. FEMA has announced in past years that they would not alert people if there was a threat of any type of apocalyptic asteroid or comet, so I see this as more of a preparation for a nuclear attack.

Why would you assume nuclear attack? It could be used for any number of things.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

The reason behind the caption and sign language is for the hearing impaired.

That I understood - I was merely commenting that I've seen that same national EAS test commercial here in my area over the last three days probably two or three times, and they've never had the signer or captions. Just an observation that I found bizarre but not indicative of any type of conspiracy theory.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Dear timidgal,

He sounds like Mr. Garrison on South Park and that is creepy.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

I would believe so because those are the two main forms of mass media. BTW, the actually envy you the lack of TV and radio... It turns your brain to mush if you let it.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Is that an upside down Freemason symbol in the background picture? Hmmmmm I don't know that caught my eye instantly...

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I could have sworn that I saw a different commercial than this the other day, and it freaked me out a bit. I think it was the same guy. This commercial doesn't seem all that bad, but I kinda see what you mean. I think part of the creepiness is from that woman in the lower right corner of the screen. What's she doing? Dancing? lol.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Perhaps I find their proactivity unsettling because I'm not used to it and have, unfortunately, become a skeptic.

What I really found bizarre, though, is the fact that the commercial says it will be broadcasted for three minutes and the reports on my local news say 30 seconds. Just a strange difference..

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I have not seen one of these commercials, either!! I guess it could be because I don't watch t.v. on a regular basis, tho?! I bet you don't either, do you?

As far as an attack taking place during said test, I am just kicking back and waiting to see what happens. So much kaka flying thru the airwaves at this point that I'll probably feel a HUGE sense of relief at just a momentary cessation!

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
The test was originally scheduled to be over 3 minutes. Now it's cut to 30 seconds..or so they say. I think the PSA's were made before that change was.

Official FCC EAS Nov 9 Test Handbook

That ought to cover everything else, at least as far as any broadcasters are being told. The rest, I guess we'll all see together tomorrow afternoon.

Just a note though, because I am a paranoid kind of guy sometimes...but this is a moment in time when almost everyone in America will be listening to or watching a signal being transmitted from a single source, at the same time, coast to coast and with no means of communication left out. Anyone read Stephen King's 'Cell'?

Personally, I'll be shutting all my stuff down a short time before this is set to go...and I'll power everything back up 10-15 minutes after it should all be over. I know it's silly...but these are strange times. It is what it is.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I agree with you op this guy's look kinda freaked me out too. Looks like he's from dragnet or something. Not instilling calm in any way.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

It was a financial descision actually! LOL We hardly ever watched tv, just movies. So we switched over to netflix and just watch streaming movies or go to hulu and watch tv shows on there. As for radio I think we own one around here.. somewhere! LOL I have a squeezebox radio and listen to pandora on that when I'm home so it is just music!

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Not silly at all! I plan to make sure I'm not listening to radio or watching tv during this time. Well not that I could do either at home, but tomorrow around that time I'll be at my mom's house and she often times has the tv on as well as the radio. Maybe I'll just wait till after lunch before I go over to moms! LOL

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
I saw nothing weird about it at all.

Am I the only one who has not seen a commercial for the tests though? To be honest I did not know they had commercials to alert us about the test until I saw this thread.

Glad I was able to heed his request and share it with others.

Well, I see nothing to be afraid of, but hey, I can give you a conspiracy to think about.

Sure would be a great time for a terrorist to start attacking, right at the moment the test begins. We would be sitting ducks.

I'm wasn't afraid but something about the commercial is unsettling to me for some reason; it's obviously just me because others aren't picking up on the same vibe. I think it's good that they are warning people to avoid panic but I've heard from friends in other sections of the county who have also not seen the commercial (and they're avid TV watchers).

Nah, that wont happen. I have just joked about the possibility before when I heard my area testing out the tornado/bomb sirens in the past.

I know, I am a dork.

Sorry but anyone with a John Lennon avatar can't possibly be a dork!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join