It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tides Are Turning... For The Worst! OWS Terrorizes Local Business

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
NY Post articles on Occupy Wall Street:
Occupiers terrorize us: eatery
Deranged homeless man goes on rampage in Zucotti Park
"Occupy" goes big tent
Occupy "ball" street
Protester throws fit when he can't get free food
Then there's this Pullitzer Prize winner:
Time to throw the bums out

Real fair and balanced.

Media bias refers to the bias of journalists and news producers within the mass media in the selection of events and stories that are reported and how they are covered. The term "media bias" implies a pervasive or widespread bias contravening the standards of journalism, rather than the perspective of an individual journalist or article.

I guess it's something we only see when we want to.
I wonder what Chomsky would say about this?

Herman and Chomsky (1988) proposed a propaganda model hypothesizing systematic biases of U.S. media from structural economic causes. They hypothesize media ownership by corporations, funding from advertising, the use of official sources, efforts to discredit independent media ("flak"), and "anti-communist" ideology as the filters that bias news in favor of U.S. corporate interests. Their propaganda model first and foremost discusses self censorship through the corporate system (see corporate censorship); that reporters and especially editors share and/or acquire values with corporate elites in order to further their careers. Those that don’t are usually weeded out or marginalized.

Source:Media Bias

Sounds like a classic smear campaign to me

A smear campaign is an intentional, premeditated effort to undermine an individual's or group's reputation, credibility, and character. "Mud slinging", like negative campaigning, most often targets government officials, politicians, political candidates, and other public figures. However, private persons or groups may also become targets of smear campaigns perpetrated in schools, companies, institutions, families, and other social groups.

Source:Smear Campaign
edit on 8-11-2011 by jlv70 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

Originally posted by answerisquestion
so some apparent protesters break a toilette and drain causing $3000 in damage...now put this against the trillions of dollars and lives lost over the corruption OWS is fighting against...hummm I think I still stand with OWS it seems the cause to fight corruption outweighs the damaged toilette and inconvenienced shop owner probably making good money from it all

This pretty much says it all.

The statement "apparent protesters" means "don't blame us, somebody else did it". This fits in with what I have seen from OWS, the total lack of personal responsibility for the situation that they find themselves in.

Uh yeah, no. Pretty sure they learned that trick for the baggers. Scream at a sick old man, not our fault, anyone can be a TEAbagger. Drive to a mosque with a trunk full of explosives, don't blame us. Spit on people, call for armed revolution, advocate the murder of politicians, DONT BLAME US - ANYONE CAN BE A BAGGER!

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RatoAstuto

Originally posted by Open_Minded Skeptic

Originally posted by Manhater
You get that many people together and ends up like woodstock.

That would be the best thing that could possibly happen. The culture in the US has probably degraded to the point it would no longer be possible, but at Woodstock there were NO crimes of violence committed.

You obviously haven't heard the tale of how the Hell's Angels handling security stabbed some hippie to death.
second

You obviously got Woodstock confused with Altamont.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Sorry but they are not fighting against corruption
They may be fighting against greed and hard working people who want to keep the fruits of their labor but that's it
If they want to fight corruption they need to go protest at the white house or at the your local representative's office.
But no, they are not at all fighting corruption

You’re right. They’re not fighting against the corrupt; they're fighting against the "corruptors". The men who own politicians, buying them early in their political careers, then setting them against the people to fulfill their own personal gluttonous agendas of greed and power. They’re fighting against the people who tell politicians to wage wars for gold and oil, sending our men & women in uniform to die in vain. They’re fighting against the pro-slave movement, which has sent millions of jobs overseas to countries with no wage protection or workers’ rights for their people.

You say these protesters have entitlement issues, but I believe it’s the other way around. They’re fighting against those who feel entitled to their wealth and power, not because they worked for it, but because they were born into it, not knowing or not caring that their parents and their parents stole and murdered to obtain their wealth, much like they steal and kill to maintain it, through war, through financial scams and rigging, through blackmail and scandal.

The article presented has placed allegations against OWS, and if they’re true, which I doubt (seeing that Occupy has become overrun with criminals sent there by local police), but if they’re true then I condemn their actions, but I still do not condemn the movement, because ultimately the objective is more important than this person’s shop, more important than my business, your business, more important than any single person’s life on this planet. Change has to happen or we are all doomed to slavery to a system designed to turn you into a blind, deaf, and docile meat sack. Maybe you’re okay with that, but I am not, and I’ll see this thing through to the bitter end, till they pry my freedom and picket from my cold dead hands.

~FugitiveSoul

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

A business owner near the Occupy Wall Street encampment claims she has been repeatedly harassed and threatened with bodily harm by protesters after she and her employees refused to give in to their outlandish demands.
“I’ve been told, ‘Watch your back!’ 10 times,” Stacey Tzortzatos, owner of Panini & Co. Breads
She demanded the protesters stop using her shop’s restroom as a place to bathe every day.

The final straw came about two weeks ago, when the demonstrators broke a bathroom sink, flooding the shop, and clogged the toilet -- setting her back $3,000 in damages.

www.nypost.com...

Read the entire article, it goes on and on with more and more surprising acts of violence
Even if these are not true OWS'ers then OWS need to be more organized in getting rid of such acts
buisness
What the hell is going on today with this attitude of self-entitlements?
What about personal responsibility?

Isn't personal responsibility the most pro-people path to economic stability?
I don't get this

There are alot of videos with police brutality, but remember there's another side to the coin

Pray tell.. how should OWS stop things like this? Should they make a human barricade in front of the business.. to check people going inside? Should they try and guess which people entering are people wanting to bathe or actual customers?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I will say this without a shadow of doubt, illusion or whatever you could come up with is that those using and employing intimidation, harassment, threats of harm or destruction to either the person of another or a business is not to be tolerated and these fringe elements do not represent nor speak for this movement!

We absolutely, completely, totally and unequivocally condemn all actions such as this and stand against those causing or threatening harm to another.

This is not tolerated! This is so Anti what this movement is all about!

edit on 9-11-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by FallenWun
Uh yeah, no. Pretty sure they learned that trick for the baggers. Scream at a sick old man, not our fault, anyone can be a TEAbagger. Drive to a mosque with a trunk full of explosives, don't blame us. Spit on people, call for armed revolution, advocate the murder of politicians, DONT BLAME US - ANYONE CAN BE A BAGGER!

Do you have any proof to back up this BS statement?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Of course there is no proof.

It’s easier to just demonize the opposition by name calling. Any person or group that actually has a plan to fix our system is a big threat to OWS because they know rational, well thought out plans make more sense than the propaganda and fantasies they spew.

Name calling as a cognitive bias in propaganda

When this tactic is used instead of an argument, name-calling is thus a substitute for rational, fact-based arguments against an idea or belief, based upon its own merits, and becomes an argumentum ad hominem.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Each and every piece of it. How about you narrow down exactly which one you have a problem believing. I kind of hope you say all.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Of course there is no proof.

Really?

K.

It’s easier to just demonize the opposition by name calling. Any person or group that actually has a plan to fix our system is a big threat to OWS because they know rational, well thought out plans make more sense than the propaganda and fantasies they spew.

Name calling as a cognitive bias in propaganda

When this tactic is used instead of an argument, name-calling is thus a substitute for rational, fact-based arguments against an idea or belief, based upon its own merits, and becomes an argumentum ad hominem.

Um...what name did I call anyone again? Pretty sure you just roundaboutly called me a liar. I cannot wait to find out what names I am slinging.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Anything with a Murdoch, Turner or Rockerfeller attached to it should not be trusted and that is that as all 3 are doing whatever it can to spin the tide against this movement because they finally are realizing that the jig is up.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join