It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Smart Dust Project. The Size Of a Grain of Sand. Contain Sensors, Computational Ability, Bi-Dire

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This is unbelievable. We are in for a real ride. The picture below shows the size and intricacies of this techknology.

The goal of the Smart Dust project is to build a self-contained, millimeter-scale sensing and communication platform for a massively distributed sensor network. This device will be around the size of a grain of sand and will contain sensors, computational ability, bi-directional wireless communications, and a power supply, while being inexpensive enough to deploy by the hundreds. The science and engineering goal of the project is to build a complete, complex system in a tiny volume using state-of-the art technologies

The story goes on to explain the intended uses for this and even shows the smaller sizes for this system of control in the Air We Breathe. Below are just a few of the intended uses.

Weather/seismological monitoring on Mars
Defense-related sensor networks
Land/space comm. networks
Inventory Control

After reading this story you will know why you need to hold your breath Below is the link to the full story

www.chemtrails911.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Yeah great idea, going to do wonders for the life on this planet I'm sure.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I was doing a search on this topic earlier today, and found a first mention going back to 2003! It's a healthy one to keep aware of, and i'm always amazed by the relative lack of attention it receives on ATS.

NEVER MIND "THE CHIP" --- SMART DUST IS COMING
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Look at how downplayed this topic becomes from the industry:

SMART DUST
Autonomous sensing and communication in a cubic millimeter
PI: Kris Pister

The dark side

Yes, personal privacy is getting harder and harder to come by. Yes, you can hype Smart Dust as being great for big brother (thank you, New Scientist). Yawn. Every technology has a dark side - deal with it. [this was my original comment on "dark side" issues, but it made a lot of people think that we weren't thinking about these issues at all. Not true.]

As an engineer, or a scientist, or a hair stylist, everyone needs to evaluate what they do in terms of its positive and negative effect. If I thought that the negatives of working on this project were larger than or even comparable to the positives, I wouldn't be working on it. As it turns out, I think that the potential benefits of this technology far far outweigh the risks to personal privacy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Environmental Impact

A lot of people seem to be worried about environmental impact. Not to worry! Even in my wildest imagination I don't think that we'll ever produce enough Smart Dust to bother anyone. If Intel stopped producing Pentia and produced only Smart Dust, and you spread them evenly around the country, you'd get around one grain-of-sand sized mote per acre per year. If by ill chance you did inhale one, it would be just like inhaling a gnat. You'd cough it up post-haste. Unpleasant, but not very likely.

Consider the scale - if I make a million dust motes, they have a total volume of one liter. Throwing a liter worth of batteries into the environment is certainly not going to help it, but in the big picture it probably doesn't make it very high on the list of bad things to do to the planet.

Yet look at the real dark side; thank you IgnoranceIsntBlisss / Hawk123 for making me aware of the topics last year, and I recommend a review of these threads and sources. It's just unreal what they have planned or in motion.

'Smart dust' aims to monitor everything: Hewlett-Packard

NASA’s “Planetary Skin” ‘global nervous system’.
Posted: February 23, 2010
ignoranceisfutile.wordpress.com...

DARPA & IBM building a “global brain” “cognitive computer” for “monitoring people”
edit on 8-11-2011 by Northwarden because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I have to wonder if "inventory control" might just mean POPULATION monitoring and control. And as always, I firmly believe if we're just hearing about this now, then this technology is old hat. That is a VERY scary proposition...

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Not really geo-engineering, is it?

"Smart Dust" actually covers a range of sizes, and it more refers to the multiplicity of sensors, rather than things being dust size. Even the smalled experimental "motes" are still several mm in size. A lot of the practical applications are much larger. Like this commercial one:

www.xbow.com...

And as they note, there will not be enough of them to have a noticeable environmental impact:

A lot of people seem to be worried about environmental impact. Not to worry! Even in my wildest imagination I don't think that we'll ever produce enough Smart Dust to bother anyone. If Intel stopped producing Pentia and produced only Smart Dust, and you spread them evenly around the country, you'd get around one grain-of-sand sized mote per acre per year. If by ill chance you did inhale one, it would be just like inhaling a gnat. You'd cough it up post-haste. Unpleasant, but not very likely.
Consider the scale - if I make a million dust motes, they have a total volume of one liter. Throwing a liter worth of batteries into the environment is certainly not going to help it, but in the big picture it probably doesn't make it very high on the list of bad things to do to the planet.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

Sounds scary, but do you have an actual source? Chemtrails911 is neither reputable nor factual, as far as I can tell.

They did seem to do a nice job of taking some student's web page describing some nano-tech projects, though (the links on the page all go through berkeley's domain, but none of the links do anything).

Was this linked to with further explanation (especially in conjunction with chemtrails)? If so, I'd like to contact Brett Warneke (the guy who made the original page) and let him know the hoaxers are using his material.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilverStarGazer
I have to wonder if "inventory control" might just mean POPULATION monitoring and control. And as always, I firmly believe if we're just hearing about this now, then this technology is old hat. That is a VERY scary proposition...

That's it, Codex Alimentarius regulations are designed to track products and food, and has been implemented with many breaches of the US and Canadian constitutional rights. This was through S-510 in the States, and Bill C-6, later C-36, which was pushed through in Canada late last year. Shawn Buckley was the foremost proponant of organic and health concerns who opposed the first bills (including an earlier version of C-6 which was defeated). This time C-36 was passed, and if you look to his videos on YouTube, you can see the legal implications it spells for linking to the WHO codex. Smart Dust may be a step "beyond" these legislations, but I imagine the S-510 and C-36 bills pave the road and set up the lamp-posts for making their applications quite industry legal.

Being honest, I must confess some slight personal agitation at the thought of writing another article on yet another “food safety” bill making its way through congress with the words “tyranny” and “Codex” written all over it. It seems that every legislative session, we are faced with the prospect of the same food bill cloaked in a different name. Invariably, this bill seeks to corral all food production into the hands of a few major corporations and essentially destroy the ability of the population to feed themselves. Here in late 2010, we have the new version of food imperialism known as S.510, the Food Safety Modernization Act.

While it is true that S.510 contains new and improved tyrannical sections that are unique specifically to it, the truth is that it is merely a repackaging of past bills (See here and here ) and attempts to control people through food. It is also yet another attempt to implement Codex Alimentarius guidelines under the guise of domestic legislation.

foodfreedom.wordpress.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I will make this easy to understand. I started this thread for the simple purpose of showing the possibilities of this technology. I never said anything about chemtrails or geoengineering. I have no interst in chem/contrails for this thread and I will not be bullied . I will however report those who are adding content and disrupting my thread AGAIN!! Consider it done for it is done as I post.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

The point was that this is the geoengineering and chemtrails forum. Perhaps another forum would be more appropriate?

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Uncinus

Perhaps you need to re-read my last post.,

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I think it's a very interesting topic. Just in the wrong forum.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

You wrote:

I never said anything about chemtrails or geoengineering.

Yet, here it resides, in that Forum (at present).

Would not the Science and Technology Forum be more appropriate? Heck might even fit into 2012....

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Uncinus

It's also viable they could be spread by air; they are technology and not chemicals, so I don't know what the contrail crowd would be concerned about them for. They have monitoring applications that could measure chemicals and soil, and could be used as an important part of future or present-day geo-engineering projects ... I fail to see why this is an inappropriate forum myself. Most issues could fit in two or three forums here, this one is as likely as the science forum, and there's more to suggest they are linked to manmade engineering of our environment than not.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
It's now in Science and Tech. Can we now focus on the actual topic?

Thank you.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Northwarden

Star for you friend and well said. It becomes a Red Flag for me (anything) that is small enough to be inhaled. Can be a health hazard. I have a hard time accepting someones opinion that there are not enough of these particulants to worry about
Kinda like telling me "Just believe what I say and don't worry about what you think" What a joke.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
reply to post by Northwarden

Star for you friend and well said. It becomes a Red Flag for me (anything) that is small enough to be inhaled. Can be a health hazard. I have a hard time accepting someones opinion that there are not enough of these particulants to worry about
Kinda like telling me "Just believe what I say and don't worry about what you think" What a joke.

Quote from the OP:

This device will be around the size of a grain of sand and will contain sensors, computational ability, bi-directional wireless communications, and a power supply, while being inexpensive enough to deploy by the hundreds.

So, hundreds of grains of sand. vs:

The literally quintillions of actual grains of sand that end up in the atmosphere every day.

For you to ingest one of these, you'd also have to ingest several tons of actual sand first.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Uncinus

You said it yourself!

From the OP :

This device will be around the size of a grain of sand and will contain sensors, computational ability, bi-directional wireless communications, and a power supply

That's the frightpoint right there, all that tech ingested in one tiny package! What does it do, who designed it, and what happens when it lodges in our lungs? It's not pleasant to inhale stone dust which can cause sclerosis of the lungs, years later, through growing over and agitating them. But smart dust could be designed to do and measure so much more.

It depends on the method of application. I give up on hoping that we won't be surveilled by this sort of thing however; a few scans of nanotech pages is enough to show how impossible it would be to try and keep track of it under present civilian means.

Thanks Cherub, and good to meet you

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Below is my purpose in what I started the thread for and it is clear in the last 2 sentences what the possible dangers are. Not Sandstorms and pictures of artist renderings.

The goal of the Smart Dust project is to build a self-contained, millimeter-scale sensing and communication platform for a massively distributed sensor network. This device will be around the size of a grain of sand and will contain sensors, computational ability, bi-directional wireless communications, and a power supply, while being inexpensive enough to deploy by the hundreds. The science and engineering goal of the project is to build a complete, complex system in a tiny volume using state-of-the art technologies

I don't know what that sandstorm picture of an artists drawing has to do with what I said in my post but its clear this guy wants to continue to steer this thread his direction. Steer it with whatever means available to disrupt and kill the thread.He states the topic should be moved in his earlier post and it has been moved . Now he continues to assume what I am thinking and dictate what health hazards are possible. I am not talking about sand I am talking about "These Devices" which is clear as he even quotes my post in which it states "Devices" How much is enough out of this bully and his crew.?
edit on 8-11-2011 by CherubBaby because: added txt

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

In the source from your OP it mentions that miniaturization technology makes it feasible to economically make "hundreds" of these devices. Hundreds, not millions. Think about the very narrow sorts of applications for their use, in those quantities.

In order to be an actual health hazard, they would have to be microscopic......such as the "dust" mentioned above.

But, the articles describe them as a "grain of sand". SO, about a millimeter in size? Maybe larger, but around that dimension? Perhaps your sources give such details??

In any case, ingesting or inhaling something the size of sand usually causes an almost immediate fit of coughing. It is our body's first line of natural defense.

As to their potential, I think it's a great idea for a tool, in many ways. Does anyone remember the film "Twister"? It was the story of the tornado chasers....yes, over-dramatized for Hollywood, in order to have an actual dramatic narrative, but one concept they showed was using small sensors that were deployed from containers, as the tornado passed over.....these were sucked up into the vortex, and then transmitted the interior wind patterns to the researcher's laptop computers, for analysis.

These micro-devices could certainly serve a function like that, it would seem.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

Your wrong again. Are you a doctor? How do you know what is ingestable and how it would feel? No your not a doctor so your assumptions are baseless.Furthermore, your Assumption and added guesswork in saying the following, is baseless again because you add the word Millions to the statement and nothing about Millions is ever mentioned , except by you.

Hundreds, not millions. Think about the very narrow sorts of applications for their use, in those quantities.

No you think about it. You obviously are by your comment above. Then you continue in your error by saying,

In order to be an actual health hazard, they would have to be microscopic......such as the "dust" mentioned above.

What dust are you talking about"Mentioned Above" What thread are you reading ? You go on to pose as a doctor.and give your unliscenced medical opinion below.You even curtail you own statement by saying the word "usually" which is not a word that is to be taken as a surety to count on.

In any case, ingesting or inhaling something the size of sand usually causes an almost immediate fit of coughing. It is our body's first line of natural defense

Then you continue to state your opinion again which is baseless, and say the purpose and potential these devices may have is by compari ng them to a hollywood movie that used devices a 1000 times bigger . Devices the size of Tennis Balls,.which is utter nonsense and is completely your opinion and not even close to the original topic of the article in the first place. The quote below shows this.

As to their potential, I think it's a great idea for a tool, in many ways. Does anyone remember the film "Twister"? It was the story of the tornado chasers....yes, over-dramatized for Hollywood, in order to have an actual dramatic narrative, but one concept they showed was using small sensors that were deployed from containers, as the tornado passed over.....these were sucked up into the vortex, and then transmitted the interior wind patterns to the researcher's laptop computers, for analysis

To sum I ask you. Are you a doctor? No. Did you invent or have a say so or input at their manufacture or conception? No. What does a hollywood Tornado movie have to do with this thread other than it obviously being the only way you can explain something that has nothing to do in reality with what your pretending might be reality someday? Until that day everything you say is a cartoon.

edit on 8-11-2011 by CherubBaby because: typo

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join