It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Banned" USAF Academy Text Book - Introductory Space Science Vol II

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
For those interested in reading the USAF's take on UFO's before they pulled the text book (was apparently too controversial):

www.beyondweird.com...

It's interesting what they say about Tungusta and how the global radiation levels increased indicating a possible nuclear explosion.

Cheers

JS

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Interesting that they'd use European English spellings for words like "behaviour" but thats neither here nor there...

I love this part:

This leaves us with the unpleasant possibility of alien visitors to our planet, or at least of alien controlled UFO's. However, the data are not well correlated, and what questionable data there are suggest the existence of at least three and maybe four differnet groups of aliens (possibly at different states of development). This too is difficult to accept. It implies the existence of intelligent life on a majority of the planets in our solar system, or a surprisingly strong interest in Earth by members of other solar systems.

I'd have to do some checking to see if this is legit... It doesn't "read" like such a textbook....

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
interesting read , youre right about it not sounding like a textbook

cant find anything on Major Donald G. Carpenter either

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I doubt this was ever a textbook. Something like this might have been on an assigned reading list, but I doubt even that.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I found this site on Google with an explanation of the subject at hand.

www.cufon.org...

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I don't know, something seems a little off about this, it doesn't ring as credible as the fireman's manual.

Maybe they got confused and it's a Royal Airforce textbook or it could be a left over from the BBC April Fools joke that went wrong "Alternative Three" if anyone remembers that or has read the Case Book on Alternative Three will know what I'm talking about.

To elaborate on Gazroks Observation:

This leaves us with the unpleasant possibility of alien visitors to our planet, or at least of alien controlled UFO's.

WOuld the Air Force at this point refer to an alien craft as an "alien controlled UFO's". I mean if an Air Force pilot engages a new and odd looking say Russian Craft would they say they were engaging a Russian controlled UFO or would they use a different term.

I would think they would at this point refer to it as an alien controlled craft because while not identified, if they know it's alien controlled is it still an UFO?

Also:

It implies the existence of intelligent life on a majority of the planets in our solar system, or a surprisingly strong interest in Earth by members of other solar systems.

Okay, I'll give them the thing about civilizations outside our solar system, but even in 1967 I find the concept of the USAF considering the possiblity of other inhabited planets within the solar system a little silly.

That's just my opinion though.

Also if someone is in the mood to go digging around here's a link:

www.academyadmissions.com...

That's pretty much all I've got right now.

Spiderj

[edit on 9/2/2004 by Spiderj]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
its an entertaining read even if it isnt real.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by acidhead

Found him at the Airforce Association.

www.afa.org...

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Somewhere (Why do I log on late on saturday... when I know i'll be half asleep and of no real use?)... I ran across an article that both proves that this text was circulated at the USAF academy and that it was at least entered into one class. Through I don't remember the details, I strongly remember seeing a picture of an investigator holding the cover of this text up against the interior background of the USAF academy library. The cover portrayed the famous RB-47/UFO encounter from the 50s.

The point of the article was that the writer was in the library and had just retrived this book from the "old textbooks" section.

Now...because I can't remember where i read this article... what I just wrote can't be proved and so is meaningless....

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by acidhead

may i ask a leading question - is your first name starting with a "d" and ya second starting with a "b"?

- does the name "welling" mean anything? - u look very similar to a very good friend of mine.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
That doesnt read like any military text book I have ever read

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Finally got back to this

Thanks for the links people...

Funny how Lieutenant Colonel Donald G. Carpenters' title was the "U. S. Air Force for advancing U.S. space defense capabilities" in 1972...

Hmmm...

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I'm sitting here among several AF Academy grads...I'll find out toot sweet if this is true or not....stand by to stand by....

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Affirmative Reaction:

Good luck hunting a copy down

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jumpspace
Affirmative Reaction:

Good luck hunting a copy down

Guy here just got off the phone with a buddy who is a Sq CC at the academy and a grad...he's never heard of the book, and says that no books are ever "banned" at the school, period.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I can't get to the site that is listed in the first post...smart filter here on base says it is blocked because of "sex"....guess I'll have to wait till I get home....

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Affirmative:

Try this link:

www.cufon.org...

If you also notice, I made sure I put the double quotes around the word banned in the original post as I'm not sure what really happended to the text book

[edit on 10-9-2004 by jumpspace]

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I have only heard of this elusive tome. Never saw a pic of what it looked like just, photocopies of some of the pages. If it only "exists" in this photocopy form can it be considered legit at all?

[edit on 10-9-2004 by Der Kapitan]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Thought I'd bump this to see if anyone can shed any further light on this.

Cheers

JS

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Ahh the number 13, wasn't it Chapter 13 in the "FEMA" guide as well that pertained to UFO's..?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join