It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme Poverty Is Now At Record Levels - 19 Statistics About The Poor That Will Absolutely Astound

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Nameless Hussy

Yeah, at least the really poor in America aren't as poor as the people in *third world countries*! Because that's a great standard by which to compare ourselves. And this from a European, no less. Hilarious. And sad, and ironic, all at the same time.

You have also never been outside the US, have you?
"Third World Countries" as you put it make up a large part of the geopolitical world.
Being European, we have a conscience about such things.
Mainly because we helped create them.
By what standard would you compare yourself with? Ozzy and Harriet? Step by Step? Friends?
Meanwhile, back in the real world...
I don't know if the Peace Corps is still going but I'd recommend it. Go travel and learn about other cultures and you'll be amazed at how good yours looks when you get home.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
The disparity of wealth continues to grow. Something is very wrong and needs to change..

Actually, that is wrong. There were more "rich" in the 90's. Unless, of course, you count the disproportionate out-sized pay and benefits today of Government employees.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sprtpilot

Look back 100 years, 500 years, 1000 years - we peons have never had it so good!
Can you imagine living like a serf?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Aestheteka

I live with 4 adult males, my hubby and sons.....out of all of them, I worked more hours than any of them this past year, didn't earn more than any of them because of their unemployment, but worked more hours than them!!!
guess I could bring in some chickens, so cows, and maybe I could climb over the fence and use the small area of grass before I get to the highway and start myself a garden!! and, we could go through all our crap and sell what we don't need out in our front yard.. I could take all those beads I have and spend a little time and create a few things with them, sell them in my front yard also!!! and if things really got bad, we could move up into the national park and just build ourselves some grass huts!!!

but guess what???
chickens, cows, horses, well.....the city I live in would have a fit!! and well, you are only permitted to have so many days to sell your crap in a yard sell, not more than 5 days total I do believe, and well, a grass hut would be a no no in most places in the US. in order to have a job, many employers expect you to have transportation, a phone, decent clothing, ect...ya, we could live on peanuts, but it would not only be us that would have to reduce our expectations, so wouldn't the employers, the gov't as well as society in general...
well, those expectations and limitations in themselves drive up the cost of living!

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
We have a big problem with local governments restricting what people need to do to live....like having a few chickens or selling a few vegetable plants, for instance.

Where I live, it doesn't matter if you have 20 acres, if you aren't zoned right, you can't own ONE chicken. You have to get an inspection and pay a 75.00 fee to sell ANY plants at all, like at a flea market. (And they are checking left and right for all sorts of 'fine-able infractions' at the flea markets, which are starting to fizzle because of it.

My family has really taken a hit- some areas are not seeing it but mine is. Officially unemployment is near 15% here but it started in 2008 here, so it's got to be a lot higher. It's not just money, but man we lost a lot of dear friends that had to move to find work. We own our home and don't want to move. 27k and this place will be paid for- if we can just make it that long.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Aestheteka

"Men out here know how to build their own homes and repair every problem (otherwise they're not deemed men)."

If you try building your own home here, you get slapped with fines if you didn't pay to get the license/permit to build it in the first place. Oh, and make sure you have paid for the property, and the taxes that go with it. And be sure you buy your lumber from a reputable BigBox chain because your local small business lumberyard has been pushed out of town by lowes. Who will of course charge you an arm and a leg for said lumber, and taxes to boot. Then of course you have the water and garbage tax, and electricity that you are forced to pay for even if you don't use it half the time. And if you want cable, better not want the ability choose from a pool of providers. You get only one choice, who of course charges whatever they want because they know you just have to have it, in every room whever you want.

I can see where you are coming from though. But a way of life is a way of life. It's what you know and are taught. Poverty in my opinion, is homelessness, no food, no clean running water... Not "my mom can't buy me an xbox this year, only socks". That's just a spoiled child brainwashed by the media and society. Luckily, I was not poor, nor rich. I was brought up in a modest, middle class, single parent home. And we learned right from wrong, including how not to judge others based on their wealth.

It's ones mentality and attitude towards their have and have nots... I actaully know alot poeple who are considered "poverty level" but would never think that of themselves. They are very happy with what they do have, and enjoy life in general and feel they are very rich. You can have all the monies in the world, and still be miserable.

Regardles of ones status level, or circumstances, a child should never go hungry.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

ctually, that is wrong. There were more "rich" in the 90's. Unless, of course, you count the disproportionate out-sized pay and benefits today of Government employees

I did not say there were more rich. I said the gap between the and poor has continued to grow....

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aestheteka
I wish people would travel more and see what real poverty is.
The term used in this article (and others I've posted on the same subject in recent weeks) is Relative Poverty, which is a statistical percentage of mean earnings nationwide

In 2009, in the United States of America, the poverty threshold for a single person under 65 was US$11,161; the threshold for a family group of four, including two children, was US$21,756.[11][12] According to the U.S. Census Bureau data released Tuesday September 13th, 2011, the nation's poverty rate rose to 15.1% in 2010.

Poverty threshold

This means that 15.1% of Americans earn less than 11,161 USD (for a single person) or less than 21,756 USD per family.
In daily terms that's 30.5 USD per single person and 59.60 USD per family per day.
Now compare with the international definition of Abject Poverty, which is set at earning less than 1.25 USD per day.

While I understand your point and certainly recognize that people in other countries suffer, you cannot simply compare daily wages here to there. The cost of living here is substantially higher. Basic shelter is more expensive here as is food. It's comparing apples and oranges. And the main thrust of the OP is that our kids have less now than they used to have. That's bad any way you look at it.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chett
Before you get too choked up might be good to find out what 'poor' actually means.

In 2005, the typical household defined as poor by the government had a car and air conditioning. For entertainment, the household had two color televisions, cable or satellite TV, a DVD player, and a VCR. If there were children, especially boys, in the home, the family had a game system, such as an Xbox or a PlayStation.[4]

I dont have a car, or tv, or air conditioning ...
I am not poor, I have all the basic needs met and many of the extras I want. I take no help from the gov. and pay taxes to boot.
www.heritage.org...

With a name like Chett, you should reside in Texas or Arkansas... I invite you to make a living down here. Especially with no A/C and no car. Hope you're not expecting a newborn any time soon. This ain't the prairie days where families pop out 20 kids and only 2 survive... Nothing is for free and the vast majority of land is fenced off. Best of luck learning to farm or having the opportunity to solely live off nature.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
If you want something then make it. The base materials for most anything can be found or hacked out of other stuff. The library contains books on doing every kind of task or needed skill you can think of. Money only gives stupid people access to things they could never do. Why not learn new things in ones free time?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Look back 100 years, 500 years, 1000 years - we peons have never had it so good!
Can you imagine living like a serf?

Now don't hurt yourself contemplating the paramount aspects of life.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
If you want something then make it. The base materials for most anything can be found or hacked out of other stuff. The library contains books on doing every kind of task or needed skill you can think of. Money only gives stupid people access to things they could never do. Why not learn new things in ones free time?

When you demonstrate how to transmute aluminum foil into gold bullion get at me!

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I don't think the term "extreme poverty" is used correctly here. I don't want to downplay the struggles of those in poverty in the United States. But after seeing kids in rural South Africa that hadn't eatin for days, and after making friends with kids who have to struggle to survive everyday in Mozambique, the life of a even a homeless person in the US doesn't seem so bad if they have a soup kitchen to go to.

NOW, let me also say that these stats are appalling. We have the means and infrastructure in the US to prevent this, but it seems over the past decade things have spun out of balance, and I know it's not because people are getting lazier because I know many of those who are hurting. I have faith that we as people can come together and make positive progress over the next decade. Like Tupac said, "After every dark night, there is a brighter day"

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nopeitwasntme

Regardles of ones status level, or circumstances, a child should never go hungry.

I believe the ultimate wake up call is being jailed and fined by police for "improper use of sidewalks." Perhaps the poor should be in prison to live the HFCS good life... Operation Little Debbie - Honey Buns

Unwrap a
kiddos!
edit on 7-11-2011 by Americanist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM
I don't think the term "extreme poverty" is used correctly here. I don't want to downplay the struggles of those in poverty in the United States. But after seeing kids in rural South Africa that hadn't eatin for days, and after making friends with kids who have to struggle to survive everyday in Mozambique, the life of a even a homeless person in the US doesn't seem so bad if they have a soup kitchen to go to.

NOW, let me also say that these stats are appalling. We have the means and infrastructure in the US to prevent this, but it seems over the past decade things have spun out of balance, and I know it's not because people are getting lazier because I know many of those who are hurting. I have faith that we as people can come together and make positive progress over the next decade. Like Tupac said, "After every dark night, there is a brighter day"

The terminology is correct... What you're referring to is dire poverty. Thank the oligarchs for perpetuating both forms.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Americanist

Originally posted by CREAM

The terminology is correct... What you're referring to is dire poverty. Thank the oligarchs for perpetuating both forms.

Thanks for clarifying. Indeed I do thank the oligarchs, but I also take personal responsibility which is why I participate in a lot community service and do my best to educate others about the current situation of the world. We can't change the way the way oligarchs do things by wishing they would change, we have to start with changing ourselves and leading by example.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I find it hilarious when people throw out their pat little answers on how Americans aren't really poor bc the have this or that. The reason they have these things is bc the programming laid down on us all is strong, and people want desperately to have all he things society tells us we MUST have. It's a sad attempt to fit in, to be part of the "normal" people.

There are no simple answers. These problems, their causes and solutions are entwined and extremely complicated. To alleviate these problems we will need an entire paradigm shift. A completely redesigned education system. An end to the MSM and their evil brainwashing and constant dumping on peoples self esteem and self worth. It will require an end to rabid consumerism. But it will never happen unless the system collapses bc this system is driven on exponential consumerism... A monster that must be constantly fed more and more to survive.

I'm soooo sick of all the armchair quarterbacks lurking on ATS. You guys just have all the answers right? I call bs. You all need to get real and quit with the harsh judgement and condemnation followed up with the rhetoric of a shallow and feeble mind. Try thinking things through before you look down your noses while gracing us all with your righteous sermons on the laziness of the poor. Some people are able to fight the current and eek out an existence, but many others can't. They were never supposed to... That's how the whole system was designed. The 1% don't want the poor to do better. Money bring freedoms... Freedoms that TPTB don't want us peons to have. It's just all part of the plan man!

I can smell your ill placed contempt from here, and it STINKS.

edit on 8-11-2011 by SilverStarGazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

I wish people would travel more and see what real poverty is.

This means that 15.1% of Americans earn less than 11,161 USD (for a single person) or less than 21,756 USD per family.
In daily terms that's 30.5 USD per single person and 59.60 USD per family per day.
Now compare with the international definition of Abject Poverty, which is set at earning less than 1.25 USD per day.

I'm a single mom of a teen and I have made every year (aside this last one being out of work and not on unemployment) about 8k a year. Just letting you know we DO exist. No tv in the house, no cable, no dvd, no vcr, no car, even now we have to wait 3 days before i can put food in the house again (food stamps). I have 4 hotdogs left. the kid is going to have them all for those 3 days. I'll get by. done it before.

however, I did get hired at walmart. Thank GOD. I'm waiting on the background and drug test to come back. No worries on either. I'm a clean person 100%. I don't even drink.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Chett

Yes, Chett,

We need to think about what really poor means, S & F to you.

It means starving people - which the world could save.

I cannot understand why the richest people in this world will not save the starving.

A message to you rich people:

If you live in a country which could save these people but does not, or if you are rich and do not save these people - look foward to judgement and a bleak afterlife.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

the problem is that history has been teaching all of them that to feed the hungry causes them to multiply thereby causing even more suffering. birth control is an answer but most look at it as just another problem.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join