Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Extreme Poverty Is Now At Record Levels - 19 Statistics About The Poor That Will Absolutely Astound

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Aestheteka

Firstly, Captain Stereotype, if I had know that life's problems could be so easily solved with such simple one word mantras as ”Move”, why the world would be so much better.
Oh wait... moving costs money, ironic if your reason for moving is because you don't have money.
I suppose you could walk it from state to state looking for one that has available jobs, affordable housing and a reasonable cost of living. Provided you don't die in the process of starvation, exposure or exhaustion traveling across a country the size of several other ”first world” countries combined.
Heaven forbid you actually try to leave the country.

Secondly, I missed where somehow I claimed that poverty here was greater or more ”real” than any other country. Conversely to that, however, you claim that poverty does not exist and is unknown here. Who are you to say that there is no ”real poverty” in America? That because of your broad generalizations of Americans, none of us here ”know” or live in ”real poverty”?

You assume that any and all ails people suffer here is their own fault, not as bad as they claim, not real and is only because they are lazy. I'm sorry, but contrary to popular misconception, being American does not mean we are a bunch of whiners who who all live in a house in the suburbs with two cars, ten computers, five iphones and more food on our fridge than a third world country. You keep saying have I every been to this our that country, well obviously you've never been here either outside of the tourist centers.

The difference between you and me is I'm not saying poverty doesn't exist somewhere, is not ”real poverty” our its more or less ”valid” than anywhere else.

Poverty should not exist anywhere.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Wow.
After reading this post, its not even worth debating with you. You are so out of touch with reality it's almost pitiful. Obviously, your only idea of Americans and what America is like comes from what you see on TV.

I apologize, what I had thought was pure arrogance on your part was, in truth, just plain ignorance.
I'll leave you with your preprogrammed, preconceived notions for now.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by dethduck

Me, a stereotype? Laugh.
Honestly, you have me laughing whilst typing.
Yes, 'move'.
Save up the money for a bus ticket, go somewhere where there is work, stay in a hostel and work until you have enough money to pay for better accomodation. Go to nightschool and get more qualifications - whilst working. Apply for other jobs. Keep repeating this until you can feel good about yourself and know that you've done it on your own.
That is what freedom is about in the modern age.
When you have enough money, move your family to the country and build a homestead.
There are always excuses why not. And there always ways around them if you really want.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

yes, move!!! to a wal mart parking lot!!!

money.cnn.com...

during the economic down fall of the 80's for awhile people, and gov't agencies were encouraging people to move...to Texas!!! ya, there were jobs in texas, so the people began their migration, then reagan got into office and the mess with Iran cooled off some, the price of oil fell, and low and behold, it wasn't as cost effective to drill the oil out of the texas dirt!! and well, that was the main driving force in the texas economy! so, well, people were moving down to live in tent cities!!!

ya, move!! chase those jobs, from city to city, from state to state....country to country....

let's see the people eat their tvs, their computers, their iphones!! let's see them build a home out of them, let's see them heat those homes!! they are just toys provided to keep the masses happy and content!!! when it comes to those things that are actually needed to live, well, my check wouldn't even begin to cover it....luckily, there's a husband who works also, when there is work..
close to 10 years in the industry, 6 in the same shop, ya I got cable, internet (the cable tv would go before the internet would be the way!!), got health insurance, but got to tell ya, still can't afford the medical bills so avoid the doctors, ya, we got food, car, trucks, ect.....but, it takes two checks to keep what we have. and well, our children are grown.....we'd be poor if they weren't!!!
don't judge the standard of american life on the number toys they have!!! in those single parent households it just may be possible that the non custodial parent is bypassing his child support payment and instead buying the love of their children...with neat toys!!!

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

S+F...I find it amusing that we are finally confronted with so many different statistics finally showing american life not to be as beautiful as the MSM would like like to portray it...

I personally know the distinguished hate those who haven't had the greatest opportunity's in life...and it's not pretty...whether it be doctors or lawyers...a large percentage hold that belief...

Granted they all don't...many of them do...even in my own smallish city in Montana it is VERY noticeable as a delivery driver for a pizza company...I work a full time job as well, so I am not butt hurt over it...but it is quite obvious no doubt, whoever it may be...
edit on 7-11-2011 by here4awhile because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Wow just reading that list made me sad but there are few things that these stats come from. right?

1) sure poverty level has risen, but so has the cost of living, food, gas... etc.

2) technology is better at gathering info, so much more info, about more people so the #'s seem higher

3) more people have become reliant upon food stamps instead of using their $ to buy food.

I can't tell you how many times it's been suggested to me to take advantage of food stamps.
My reply is always...
"I can put aside enough $ to buy food even if I'm broke till next paycheck."
Rarely am & I make squat but I live minimalistic.
I have food. Leave the stamps for the people who REALLY need it.
And everyone's reaction is the same... "Your crazy. Get it while you can."

Poverty level doesn't necessarily mean homeless or unemployed.
I'm at poverty level and i still have a job but I will only take stamps as a last resort.
Same thing with the soup kitchens.
Hope it never gets there but I don't need it yet.
Taking advantage of situations has become a way of life for some folks.
Most folks, in fact, that I run across daily.

So don't think for a second there's not a large # of people taking advantage of a situation designed to help out those in need.
Feeding upon one another while one's head is turned.
And when the food runs out...

Everyone thinks they deserve it and you know what?
They do.

edit on 7-11-2011 by Numb2itall because: For mistakes why else would I edit?
edit on 7-11-2011 by Numb2itall because: Because i'm flawed.
edit on 7-11-2011 by Numb2itall because: Damn thyne errors... DAMN THYNE!
edit on 7-11-2011 by Numb2itall because: I give up.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Aren't you just the little charmer? You've got everything and everybody figured out. You've got all the answers.

I have a word for people like you: Teenager.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
truly sad... the 'greatest and richest' country in the world.. Yet so many that are poor and the numbers keep increasing with little to nothing done to help them.. But the government can spend billions a day mass-murdering innocent people around the world rather than do what its supposed to do and work for the people..

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
The bickering over the definition of poverty in the USA doesn't miraculously magic employment opportunities out of nothing.
The fact remains, on a national level, the income disparity and declining quality of life in the USA is incredible. You can slice and dice that any way you want by quoting statistics of kids working for a-$-a-day in China, but that DOESN'T change the fact that poor in America are becoming poorer, the wealthy are becoming wealthier, all while the global economy tanks and unemployment in western countries collapses.
You have to have a societal frame of reference when you're talking about poverty, because it is directly affected by your access to arable land, your access to FREE clean water, the prospects for your kids, the health statistics for your neighborhood, the interest rate and inflation statistics, the minimum wage...

You could have three TV's, a games console and air-con, that doesn't mean you're not struggling to put food in front of your kids.
People often use those statements in the "definition" as some kind of measure of how ridiculous it is, but they always shy away from the fact that that describes the THRESHOLD, not the quality of life for all those considered below the poverty line.

Of course, this is going to get worse as the corporations move their business to the last safe havens in Asia. Then they'll get another 50 years of relative slave labor before the people really rise up and demand a living wage. All the while we'll be the ones making their designer sneakers in sweat shops and rebuilding our economies based on exporting.

The ONLY way to change the system is to vote with our money. If a company moves business to Asia, there's a national boycott against them. If a bank gives out massive bonuses to their banksters, we move our money to a credit union. If a company starts substituting quality food with trash to increase their profit margin, people start buying quality produce locally...
This removes the power from those corporations and means that they have no choice but to comply with the morals of the people they sell to or provide a service to in order to stay in business.

A good example of this is in the bankster mafia clan. They threaten to move their business to Asia if our governments tax them, but they still expect to be able to do business in the largest Western markets. The US and UK governments could increase corporate taxes if they had their people on their side actively stating that they will boycott if the company moves to avoid tax.
The banks WILL NOT miss out on billions of $'s in business in the USA and UK for the sake of saving a few billion a year in taxes. It's a myth that they would move out of our countries, and they use it as a threat to avoid having to pay the tax they should be paying.

As more smaller businesses grow to replace the corrupt corporations, more options will be open to us to take part in destroying the corporatocracy controlling our nations. All we have to do as citizens is stop supporting the corporations and start giving our money to smaller, local businesses. If we all did that over the coming five years we would all be better off and our economy would start growing again.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I have read all of your posts in this thread and I could not agree more. I live in the U.S. and I see it everyday. People do not want to do manual labor here, it is beneath them. If more people were self sufficient we wouldn't have this problem. I have been to several other countries and I too have seen real poverty. There are many reasons the U.S. is in the shape it is and many factors led to this. It would take many threads to cover the factors and many more to cover the solutions. Again you said it great. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
The bickering over the definition of poverty in the USA doesn't miraculously magic employment opportunities out of nothing.
The fact remains, on a national level, the income disparity and declining quality of life in the USA is incredible. You can slice and dice that any way you want by quoting statistics of kids working for a-$-a-day in China, but that DOESN'T change the fact that poor in America are becoming poorer, the wealthy are becoming wealthier, all while the global economy tanks and employment numbers in western countries collapse.
You have to have a societal frame of reference when you're talking about poverty, because it is directly affected by your access to arable land, your access to FREE clean water, the prospects for your kids, the health statistics for your neighborhood, the interest rate and inflation statistics, the minimum wage...

You could have three TV's, a games console and air-con, that doesn't mean you're not struggling to put food in front of your kids.
People often use those statements in the "definition" as some kind of measure of how ridiculous it is, but they always shy away from the fact that that describes the THRESHOLD, not the quality of life for all those considered below the poverty line.

Of course, this is going to get worse as the corporations move their business to the last safe havens in Asia. Then they'll get another 50 years of relative slave labor before the people really rise up and demand a living wage. All the while we'll be the ones making their designer sneakers in sweat shops and rebuilding our economies based on exporting.

The ONLY way to change the system is to vote with our money. If a company moves business to Asia, there's a national boycott against them. If a bank gives out massive bonuses to their banksters, we move our money to a credit union. If a company starts substituting quality food with trash to increase their profit margin, people start buying quality produce locally...
This removes the power from those corporations and means that they have no choice but to comply with the morals of the people they sell to or provide a service to in order to stay in business.

A good example of this is in the bankster mafia clan. They threaten to move their business to Asia if our governments tax them, but they still expect to be able to do business in the largest Western markets. The US and UK governments could increase corporate taxes if they had their people on their side actively stating that they will boycott if the company moves to avoid tax.
The banks WILL NOT miss out on billions of $'s in business in the USA and UK for the sake of saving a few billion a year in taxes. It's a myth that they would move out of our countries, and they use it as a threat to avoid having to pay the tax they should be paying.

As more smaller businesses grow to replace the corrupt corporations, more options will be open to us to take part in destroying the corporatocracy controlling our nations. All we have to do as citizens is stop supporting the corporations and start giving our money to smaller, local businesses. If we all did that over the coming five years we would all be better off and our economy would start growing again.
edit on 7-11-2011 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Stupid feeders why can't they suffer in silence we don't need this information out there....oh wait they do nevermind then please continue.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Why can't people live without milk is beyond me. Considering there's nothing fresh about it.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockerchic4God

No, not the only country, we also have 'poor' fat people here in the UK, with the same sort of priorites as someone else listed above

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

u got some great points there! we are living in paradise compared to the times in the great depression. i am the first to admit we as americans have become extremely spoiled, or you could say we have very high expectations, which is a much nicer way of putting it. the sad part is that the greed of the corporations and the effect it is having on the american worker. i am going to do some research and see if i can find out the number of americans working for corporations. the thing that bugs me is that the corporations are making record breaking profits yet we are in a recession and american workers salaries hours and jobs are stagnant?? these facts alone are enough for me to sympathize w the owser's.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

Don't get me wrong. The system sucks and most of us are bled dry either from above (the coporations) or from below (those on welfare who think it's their right to stay in one place and complain that there isn't work yet say they can't afford to put food on the table but list having cars, trucks, ipads, internet, cable, etc).
The system needs a massive overhaul but so does the mentality of the people. But this modern gimme gimme way of thinking has to change first. Nobody wants to do manual jobs as it's beneath them. Everyone wants an office or managerial position. No one wants to start at the bottom and graft.
The majority of arguments between my wife and me are over money. Money is a constant problem. Money is a constant fear. There is no security, no long term guarranteed work. But when there is no work in the area I'll drive a 6 hour round trip through blizzards on some of the worst bush roads imaginable to reach it. Both of us work more than one job yet we end up with virtually no money at the end of the month and we very rarely have anything which could be counted as a luxury. That is wrong. And seeing so much of our money being taken away to be given to people who think it is their right to leave school and walk into a McMansion and drive a luxury car without having to work for it makes me sick.
People in my region won't work because there is virtually no difference between what they would earn and what the government pays them in handouts. That is wrong. There must be incentive. And there must be self-pride.
These things have to change. But standing in a park for several months waving placards is not the answer - nor is electing another professional politician who merely verbally regurgitates what he knows people want to hear.
The biggest problem is the Nanny State. I really believe it's time to let people stand on their own two feet again. Yes, that will mean REALLY hard times for some but it will encourage people to do things on their own. The Nanny State should also back the hell off when it comes to controlling what people can and can't do with their lives and bodies. no faceless bureaucrat should have the right to dictate how i or anyone else should run their lives, it should be up to us to learn by our mistakes (so longs as we don't hurt another person or their property).

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I would be very happy to be a teenager again.
I'd definitely live my life in a different way. I've learned so much snce I first set out on life's little journey and I cringe at how stupid and arrogant i was before I had kids.
Having kids really shows you what is important and what isn't.
As for being a charmer, no, not really. I see no reason to be false. I'll leave that to the politicians and lawyers.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chett
Before you get too choked up might be good to find out what 'poor' actually means.

In 2005, the typical household defined as poor by the government had a car and air conditioning. For entertainment, the household had two color televisions, cable or satellite TV, a DVD player, and a VCR. If there were children, especially boys, in the home, the family had a game system, such as an Xbox or a PlayStation.[4]

I dont have a car, or tv, or air conditioning ...
I am not poor, I have all the basic needs met and many of the extras I want. I take no help from the gov. and pay taxes to boot.
www.heritage.org...

You can buy anything on that list for less than $50 (except for the car/air/monthly cable) "Color televisions" OOOoooo, Now that's classy. Accumulative junk & electronics doesn't equal wealth.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by rockledr

I manually push ink through a screen everyday, is that "manual" enough for ya???

the problem isn't that the work is "beneath me", to be honest, I kind of enjoy screenprinting, the problem is that the wages are beneath the cost of living!!!!

the fact is really, that those manual jobs, well, their pay would put alot of people under the limit for many of the programs, especially if they have kids!!!

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aestheteka
reply to post by dethduck

Man, have you ever left the US of A?
Have you ever been to Africa, or even Mexico?
As for telling me how much it costs to live In downtown Mass and that you can't grow food there - then move...

Yeah, at least the really poor in America aren't as poor as the people in *third world countries*! Because that's a great standard by which to compare ourselves. And this from a European, no less.

Hilarious. And sad, and ironic, all at the same time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join