It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus said to give me all your money. amen.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
link

Food request for Rev. Schuller's wife sparks outrage

GARDEN GROVE – An email sent out to members of the Crystal Cathedral congregation requesting meals for founder Robert H. Schuller's wife Arvella, who is ill with pneumonia, is creating mixed feelings of sadness and outrage among members. According to longtime member Jim McDonald, an email was sent out by administrators to Bible study groups as well as church elders, asking that meals for the reverend's wife be dropped off at the cathedral's Tower of Hope where the Schullers' limo drivers will be waiting to pick them up at the designated time.

Member Bob Canfield says he was outraged when he got the message. "These are millionaires who have limos and chauffeurs," he said. "Why in God's name would they want the congregants to deliver meals? It's ludicrous." The email states that the Schullers do not want get-well cards sent because they would like to "keep her situation under the radar." "However, they would appreciate meals over the next three to four weeks," the email states. "They are to be sent to the church in order to be transported to Arvella. The limo drivers could pick up the dinners or meet in the Tower Lobby around 4:30 p.m."

Canfield said he and other members of the congregation are upset the request came at a time when their church is in bankruptcy and information coming out through court documents has suggested that the Schullers took nearly $10 million from the church's endowment funds. "They've completely depleted the church's funds," he said. "But they have shown that they have absolutely no remorse for what they've done. They're still being chauffeured around in limos. We, the congregants, have nothing." Crystal Cathedral Ministries filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy Oct. 18. A judge is expected to approve a sale plan on Nov. 14. Both the cathedral's board and the creditors committee have named Chapman University as their preferred buyer. Chapman's offer stands at $51.5 million. The Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange has offered $53.6 million. However, the Chapman plan will allow the Schullers to remain and continue their ministry with a leaseback and buyback arrangement.

For as long as she has known them, the Schullers have been distant from the congregation

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

yeah. looks like money was tight. here you have it again.

i'm in the wrong business...i need to be a christian preacher...
edit on 11/5/11 by ICEKOHLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Ahhhhh yes, parade out a wolf in sheeps clothing and hope unsuspecting viewers don't know that using the exception to define the rule is an enormous fallacy of logic.

How typical.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

my grandpa is an old time pentecostal preacher/evangelist. he is the real deal. so trust me...i do know what a christian is and should be. sadly...most christians today do not deserve the name christian.

it's just all too often you hear stories such as this. or the preachers beating their wives...or having sex with young men/boys...all kinds of misconduct and abuse. it seems like there are more corrupt preachers in the news these days than corrupt politicians.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ICEKOHLD

yeah. looks like money was tight. here you have it again.

i'm in the wrong business...i need to be a christian preacher...

No you need to be an American Con Artist ....

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Yeah religion in general makes a ton of money, its plastic figure politics.
Like any job, the higher-ups get into it for the money.

Here's a song that explains it all lol..

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

If it makes any difference, the bible (yes, the same bible that this "preacher" read from) condemns religious hypocrisy.

Its always "christians" like these who make the news..... Everyday christians who dont drive around in limos.....who try their best to live a life that they believe God wants them to never makes headlines. If so, it would not be so exciting to make threads out of it.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

it's just all too often you hear stories such as this. or the preachers beating their wives...or having sex with young men/boys...all kinds of misconduct and abuse. it seems like there are more corrupt preachers in the news these days than corrupt politicians.

Yes, I agree. That's because parading the wolves in sheeps clothing to the world is effective for the enemy, he realizes most people don't know using the exception to define the rule is an enormous fallacy of logic. That's they entire reason the enemy tempts people to fail.

It's quite clear in the scriptures that not everyone who sits in church is a part of the bride of Christ.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
"For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock." ~

Acts 20:29

Was this just a lucky guess??

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The vast majority of Christian pastors make peanuts considering most of them have masters degrees. I'm willing to bet they are among the least compensated people on a dollar for dollar basis when you account for their education expenses. These headlines often make waves but these stories are the exception, not the rule.

That said, Christian congregations do NOT do enough to help out the poor in their communities. Not even close. Anyone living in a 3,000 ft square house and claiming to care about the poor is generally a hypocrite unless they have seven children or so. I know a lot of people who pretend to be Christians but live in a 3,000 ft2 house. A genuine Christian is going to live with not much more than they need and help others with the rest of their money.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over.

edit on 5/11/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Not sure why, but I was reminded of this scene from one of my favorite films of all time..

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by seachange

exactly. me personally...i don't want much for myself. i like my nice computer and smart phone...other than that...i drive an old honda with a bad paint job...i buy my clothes at walmart...and i use extra money to help out.

i go to the store and buy a shopping cart full of canned foods every month and take them to a soup kitchen. soon...i plan on buying back packs and filling them with like toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, mcdonalds gift cards, a couple pairs of socks and couple pairs of underwear and a couple shirts and going downtown and just kinda find random homeless folks and hang out with them for a bit and give them the bag.

if i can find cheap blankets...maybe even throw a blanket in the bag. i would love to start a charity for something like this. all the money i collected would go to packing up bags like this. going out and just hanging out with the bums. and the best part...not even talk about God. just be their friend.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I haven't gone to a church yet that wasn't PACKED FUL of money hungry wolves. Makes you wonder if there are any at all.

The last church I went to was holding a bidding war. "Who will donate $20!, Do I hear $20?!, I'll do $20!....I'll do $30!....Can anyone do better than $30?!....." You get the point, and yeah, it was just like that for 15 minutes.

I also enjoy the people who ask you to pray for their cars to be fixed, or that they will have the strength not to eat cake at a birthday party. Please..

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

reply to post by seachange

i go to the store and buy a shopping cart full of canned foods every month and take them to a soup kitchen. soon...i plan on buying back packs and filling them with like toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, mcdonalds gift cards, a couple pairs of socks and couple pairs of underwear and a couple shirts and going downtown and just kinda find random homeless folks and hang out with them for a bit and give them the bag.

if i can find cheap blankets...maybe even throw a blanket in the bag. i would love to start a charity for something like this. all the money i collected would go to packing up bags like this. going out and just hanging out with the bums. and the best part...not even talk about God. just be their friend.

This is a good idea! There is a group near where I live that does this, however they have a place for the homeless to come when the weather is too bad to be outside. I always take some food, soaps, and things like that, they love it! he place has beds and a shower facility and every now and then a dentist will go and do dental work for them. It's not even a church affiliated group, just good people, with good intentions, and that's what I like best about.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Yep, folk like that, if they are thieves, are the bane of the Christian's existence.

Good that I've seen the real thing or I might feel self-deceptively like you do:

Loving families and world-class neighbors that leave a lot of pay-it-forward love behind when they go. It hits me that that's the only form of "time travel" given us thus far.

Shame on the ego that built such an absurdity as the Crystal Cathedral. But you should meet some of the people I know.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
Ahhhhh yes, parade out a wolf in sheeps clothing and hope unsuspecting viewers don't know that using the exception to define the rule is an enormous fallacy of logic.

How typical.

You mean wolf in shepherd's clothing. There are lots of them from my own experience and the experience of everyone I know. If your pastor/priest isn't a wolf then you should consider yourself lucky.
edit on 5-11-2011 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Sadly, people get the "Man of God" they desire. People only flock to these guys because they say what the congregation find as truth. The people who attend these churches elevate these guys above others. These men do not put a gun to anyone's head.

It is the peoples fault for elevating others above themselves.

If you cannot find God within yourself, you cannot find him in anyone else.

If you can find God within yourself, you do not need another to lead you to him.

Just sayin...

You get what you ask for.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

couldn't agree more brother. i am all the church i need.

off topic IAMIAM...you might like one of my new tattoos (the I AM part):

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

reply to post by IAMIAM

couldn't agree more brother. i am all the church i need.

off topic IAMIAM...you might like one of my new tattoos (the I AM part):

The tat is killer my friend. I love the Sigil!

I might have to incorporate it into a future peace if you don't mind.

With Love,

Your Brother

top topics

<<   2 >>

join