It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars500 Mission Comes to an End

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
The "Mars500" mission came to an end yesterday for the six crew members who spent 520 days in a simulated "spacecraft" (although it never left Earth). The 520 day was meant to simulate the amount of time a Mars Mission would take to see how these people would fare psychologically by being cooped up together and isolated from the rest of the Earth for that amount of time. Some physiological studies were conducted, but many of the physiological effects of a Mars Mission may have to do with being in a zero-G or low-G environment for 500 days.

Mars500

Mars500 ESA Webpage

Study Overview

This is the isolation chamber that served as their simulated spacecraft and Mars habitat:
The Isolation Facility

I find it interesting that there were no woman crew members. Perhaps they wanted to eliminate that particular variable to be able to more closely study the other variables. I understand that method of experimentation (i.e., eliminating certain variables to concentrate on other aspects); however, I think they will need to include women on the next simulated mission of this type. A woman will certainly be part of any real Mars mission.

Here is a video of the hatch opening:

Video of Hatch Opening after 520 days

edit on 11/4/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
then came along plasma rockets.

www.physorg.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
They would a lot of lawsuits if something happened to the woman.
Its 520 DAYS after all.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I believe these people are tough as nails............

All I can say is "f that".

While the ISS is a little better of an experiment, these people added some simulated Mars information into the data bank
You never know this could save the real Nauts lives someday......

Someone might say, hey remember when we ran that simulation way, way back in 2011?

Oh I forgot to say that I enjoy reading your posts Soylent......good info to go with the story
s&f
edit on 4-11-2011 by liejunkie01 because: oh I forgot

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
S & F

I think this is so cool!!!

We are about to exploring Mars real soon, and its exciting!!!!

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I sooo wanted to get in on that experiment, but since I'm in the USA that was a no go LOL
besides, in a real situation, my gas would get me airlocked

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoctorSatan
They would a lot of lawsuits if something happened to the woman.
Its 520 DAYS after all.

I doubt it is a lawsuit issue. It is more likely (as I said) experimenters wanting to "eliminate variables" for these early studies to only concentrate on a few other variables.

Obviously women will need to eventually be part of this experiment, since it is likely women will participate in the first trip to Mars. However, if the experimenters wanted this particular experiment to concentrate on other issues (and NOT on the "mixed gender" issue), then they would not want women in these early experiments.

They'll add that variable to the next experiment, which will make it easier to see the effect that will have, rather than that effect getting mixed up in all of the other data they get.

top topics

join