It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"We Are Confused" Letter To Citizens From The Oakland Police Association (And Response)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Here is the beginning of the letter from the police:

We represent the 645 police officers who work hard every day to protect the citizens of Oakland. We, too, are the 99% fighting for better working conditions, fair treatment and the ability to provide a living for our children and families. We are severely understaffed with many City beats remaining unprotected by police during the day and evening hours. As your police officers, we are confused.

Here is the beginning of the response from some anonymous poster:

Let me make it crystal clear. The people and vets are absolutely livid because your actions were not the actions of law abiding civilian law enforcement. Your people acted like ruthless mercenaries playing Rainbow 6 on civilians with less-than-lethal rounds at a standoff distance that you know damn well is easily deadly. Your tactics were dangerous, and completely against any recommended use of those non-lethals you were deploying. If CS gas was absolutely necessary, you had no business delivering it in 40mm launchers, it should have been under-hand thrown, and kicked down the line... then flash bangs!

I actually agree with a lot the cops had to say. Essentially paying city employees to have a day off in protest of... the city is ridiculous. I also agree with what the response was for the most part. Just seems like bad business all around.

Link

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Some are right.... Some are wrong... Some are good.... Some are bad... These cops are only human. Maybe if enough of these protesters were to take the beating, it might just sway a majority of the cops to say enough is enough and actually side with the people... Gandhi was on to something.

Unfortunately, some of the protesters are looking for nothing more then a fight... Difficult to convince someone of your peaceful intentions when someone is provoking them... Stand there, take the beating... Heal, come back and do it again... Eventually, Human compassion will take hold and some of these Officers will see the light... Not all Cops are psychopaths... Just like not all protesters are there to protest... You need a spark to light a fire...

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 001ggg100

Very good point. There are instigators in both camps. Something I wish more people would remember in the future.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I thought that letter from the Police Association was whiney and it tried to "pass the buck" to the Mayor's adminsitration instead of the Police Captain/Chief taking responsibilty for the actions that he ordered.

Oh, they're confused because the mayor is a political 2 face, flip flopper that wants to look compasionate and kick ass at the same time. Like the Chief of Police didn't know what's what.

What a pathetic "Can we have make up sex now, Oakland, you know you were naughty and we had to do it. You know you deserved it and we know you wanted it, so why are you making us feel guilty, baby?"

Cheap shot that is like OJ making appearances at shelters to council battered women!

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

It really was a whiney letter. I think it had some good points but it did strike me as I'm sorry you made me hit you.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

We, too, are the 99% fighting for...

"We, too, are the 99% fighting for..." ...the one percent AGAINST the 99 percent.
Well, no wonder you're confused. Cops shot themselves in the foot it seems.
I'm with the "occupyers" here.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Too be fair they are trying to keep peace for the people as well. Unregulated I have a feeling these protests would fast become riots.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by intrptr

Too be fair they are trying to keep peace for the people as well. Unregulated I have a feeling these protests would fast become riots.

Ahhh Domo, I can't tell you how disappointed I am to hear you say that. One of the primary requirements for the protests is to be non violent. Like in the days of the civil rights marches under Martin Luther King, If you can't take the heat without hitting back, don't show up and march. Same with Gandi. So far, so good. Compare Occupy to the recent riots in the UK and people are doing very well here. Police in Oakland were unprovoked as far as that goes. We will see in the long run? By the way, did you settle on a breed yet? Read your thread about dogs.

new topics

top topics

join