It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Choose A Dog Breed

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Finally a thread I really like.

I have two English Staffordshire bull terriers. However, they are NOT good guard dogs as they are
to friendly to stranger. They will however protect their owner with their lives. Here is what they look like: Gorgeous

If you want a guard Dog that can also be a firm companion and you have the space please look into either of the following:

Dogo Argentino - Big powerful and very muscular dog. Bred for hunting big game. They are white in colour and are very very fierce in protecting your family. Put it this way a pit-bull or German Shepard has no chance against one of these.

This is a VERY loyal dog and a very goods guardian on the home!! Period.

The next your should look into is

The Japanese Akita (or American Akita) - loyal, family orientated and very good guard dogs as used by the Japanese military and police forces. Not great around kids and needs a firm owner to be a pack leader.

Both these dogs live around 10 - 12 years but will provide great companionship and guard duties. Loyalty is in their nature.

If you need one more choice that will protect you in a moments notice and will be unwaveringly loyal you may want to look at the Fila Brasileiro. But YOU need to be sure this is the type for you!!

The Fila Brasileiro is a courageous, powerful Mastiff. It is amenable with its human family, making a very loyal loving companion. Extremely dedicated to his owner. A Fila will protect you without a moments hesitation. He feels that is why he is there. The Fila is NOT a breed for the average pet owner. You need to know what the Fila Brasileiro is about and what it takes to own one. If you choose to raise your Fila using the methods which produce a dog who is "Ojeriza" to strangers (distrustful of), you must decide if your lifestyle will allow a protective breed who is anti-social with strangers

edit on 3-11-2011 by Six6Six because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
reply to post by Domo1

We have two Australian Shepherds, I was never really a dog person before, but they've turned me into one. They're so damned smart, way smarter than anybody else's dog(s) in this thread...

I'd sort of agree with you since we had an Australian Shepherd crossed with a timber wolf when I was much younger. Very intelligent animal, but my Chows learned how to unlock deadbolts (the rotary leaver type, I had to change to key in key out) and turn door knobs to follow us outside or come down to the lab. Some dogs can be too smart for their own good LOL.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I like German Shepherds, golden ones, so maybe a tad of golden lab or retriever in them. We had a so called pure bred, golden one.

Aslo cockapoo's: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
one thing i aint seen in this thread yet is what enviroment you in.............

a husky would be usless in mexico and a german shepard (or alsaytion(phonetic spelling) as english people call them now since WW2) would be rubbish in northen norway.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
German Shepard/ Yellow Lab mix. Best dog I have ever had. He did have Parvo when we rescued him from the shelter....so it was touch and go the first couple of months. But have had him for 9 years now. Great dog.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
It is to bad you ruled out pitbulls. With a good owner, pitbulls are the best!

Other than a pit, I had a black lab/springer spanial that was super smart, and a natural in the woods. She was very hyper though...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I always wanted a great dane x bull mastiff. they are a very protective breed. they are intelligent. they are good family pets. If they throw to the mastiff they are very manageable dogs. If they throw to the great dane they are very very active dogs.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Boxer or Border Collie.

Best breeds ever.

If you can find a Collie/Lab or Collie/Shepherd mix, pounce on it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by showintail

Great Dane- Low up keep, extremely intelligent, laid back (as adults), rarely aggressive, protective, heal from snake bites quick (over night with treatment), natural sight hunters, able to carry loads,

neg- lots of food, must cut tail (or they clear coffee tables), needs large area, troublesome as puppies,

-Odin- best friend I ever had, pulled me out of a pickle a couple times and helped me protect the ones I love.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
So to the op..Have you any ideas yet...you have so many to choose from...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

im about to pick up my 5th doberman on monday. every single one has brought me great joy and they have all been very loyal and intelligent. they also bring a sense of comfort as in time you feel and know they will protect you. to let you know of the intelligence that these dogs can get to i have a short story about my doby Diablo. he was the smartest dog ive ever seen. we have these mats we put on our couches when we leave called scatmats. they are basically shock mats to keep dogs off the couch when we arent home. one day we put the scatmats on the couch and set up a camera to see how the dogs reacted. diablo went up to the scatmat, put his paw on it to see if it was on (which it was), and got a slight shock. he ran upstairs and got 2 blankets and covered up the mat and was snoozing on the couch when we got home. the dog was a problem solver. i know the life span of dobys is only 10 or 11 years but if you want loyalty as well as protection (just their looks are intimidating enough to keep most people away) and knowledge/obedience go with a doby. great dog that you wil love and will love you.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Has anyone ever owned an Irish Wolf Hound?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Nope but sounds like a pretty cool looking dog

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by eeks4

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Nope but sounds like a pretty cool looking dog

here are some pictures of some...www.google.com...:en-US
fficial&biw=1024&bih=629 &prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=NGuzTuT-Ocn20gGK-IW0BA&ved=0CB0QsAQ

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Shar-pei
en.m.wikipedia.org...
These dogs have all the qualities your looking for
I've had experience with these dogs a little wacky at times but train very well this dog when trained would not come into the kitchen when food was being prepared and has guard dog tendencies that you were describing as those are desired traits you were looking for not to mention they are quite unique looking
Awesome dogs!

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

i have owned pitbulls and similar breeds and have been around them since i was a baby i dont own them to look like a tough guy i own them because they are great,loyal,and obedient companions. despite the media i have never been bitten by one of these dogs but i have been bit by every rott and doberman and shep i have been around. pitbulls can be very very athletic. you should consider a staffordshire terrier, pitbull, or Dogo Argentine. i have owned all three and they are great dogs. my pitbull i have now is 7 years old and still as energetic as a puppy and he is so nice he lets anyone cuddle with him. he has let my friends babies climb all over him and lick them in the face. he sleeps in bed with me or my grandmother in the apartment below me every night. you should honestly consider one

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I'd be curious to see what you end up with. When I was a kid we had dogs but we lived in small towns where it made sense. I'd love to have one again someday, but living in an apartment it just doesn't seem like a good idea.

So me and my GF got a cat a while back. Maybe the way we ended up with her will help you pick a dog. We went to this ladys house who takes in cats(she had about 40-60 of them), she gets them shots and gets them fixed, and then sells them with a free vet check up and a buncha other perks, was kind of cool. So we just went and hung out at her house for like 2 hours and basically just waited for a cat to pick us....since it was so hard to choose. The one we ended up with has a lot of personality.....she gets into trouble sometimes, but I wouldn't trade her back for anything. She's very nice.

good luck finding the perfect dog.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
One word on pit bulls....

most of what I've read so far in this thread seems to be positive and stating that they are great dogs with bad reputations, however, whenever I hear of a dog mauling someone it always seems to be a pitbull.....
Is this due to the breed, or are really crappy humans that raise mean dogs simply more attracted to that breed?

what gives?
as a rule of thumb I avoid them, but it always seems like the dog of choice for scumbag people....no offense.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
A staffie or Staffordshire Bull Terrier... Great dogs, Awesome to look at and are really friendly if they are treated well. They can lock their jaw which makes them great attack/guard dogs. Although the snippet I've posted below says they don't make great guard dogs, I find them fiercely loyal and will protect their family at all costs.

Temperament Although individual differences in personality exist, common traits exist throughout the Staffords. Due to its breeding, and history, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is known for its character of indomitable courage, high intelligence, and tenacity. This, coupled with its affection for its friends, its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, make it a foremost all-purpose dog.[3] It has been said that "No breed is more loving with its family"[4] The breed is naturally muscular and may appear intimidating; however, because of their natural fondness for people, most Staffords are temperamentally ill-suited for guard or attack-dog training. Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppies are very easy to house train.[5]

--quote taken from the wiki Staffie Wiki

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Shidzu/maltese crosses are an excellent Alert/dog....they cannot attack anyone ina serious manner , but they love listening and alerting their human companions of intruders, they have excellent hearing...and are cute as buttons.
Remember if you hear the enemy before you see him , you have the advantage if he has not seen you.

The secret to defending is to know your enemy is advancing before they strike.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join