It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Port of Oakland Now Shut Down!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
The nations fifth largest port, located in Oakland, has been shut down by OWS protestors. The port is an important asset in the importing of goods from Asia. Watch it live here: livestream.com/globalrevolution.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The movement is spreading.. This global protest is amazing to see..

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MegasAlexandros

The nations fifth largest port, located in Oakland, has been shut down by OWS protestors.

Care to tell me why exactly?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

The movement is spreading.. This global protest is amazing to see..

And once a clear and decisive message has been communicated it will be even more amazing. Too bad that is unlikely to happen.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

The nations fifth largest port, located in Oakland, has been shut down by OWS protestors.

Care to tell me why exactly?

It's just symbolic really. Akin to the Boston Tea Party.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I believe this will be a defining moment in OWS.

Either they win or the people do as there is no middle ground on this one.

Stay safe folks.

Peace

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

How is it like the boston tea party? This hurts everyone, not just the 1%, but the whole 100% of americans who rely on that port for work, importing and exporting their goods... Wanna be symbolic, quit buying $2000 apple laptops if your so poor and out of work...
edit on 2-11-2011 by whiskeycowboy because: spelling error

+13 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by whiskeycowboy

Boston Tea Party: People threw stuff off a ship. Did that not "hurt" everybody? The increased military presence, higher costs of goods in Boston, and rioting which ensued "hurt" everybody, but in the end it was the catalyst to a revolution. The end outweighed the means. I can go without "Made in China" for a while...

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegasAlexandros
reply to post by whiskeycowboy

Boston Tea Party: People threw stuff off a ship. Did that not "hurt" everybody? The increased military presence, higher costs of goods in Boston, and rioting which ensued "hurt" everybody, but in the end it was the catalyst to a revolution. The end outweighed the means. I can go without "Made in China" for a while...

As I see it, and you are certainly allowed to disagree, Occupy has a logistical problem which goes beyond even their lack of cohesive message. All of these people liken it to the American Revolution. The American Colonists were a part of the world's greatest power but the bulk of that power was across an ocean in the days before air travel. Occupy is inside the world's bastion of military might. It can't be done the way the Founding Fathers did it. And that's if there is agreement that it even should be done.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Good point about the "made in China", ill give you that one. However with boston, they only threw over tea, not completely shut down the port, which would prevent all sorts of products (medicines, food, tools, cars, etc) from enter or leaving, which harms everyone, not just a small portion of people, ie* tea drinkers...

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Protesters have effectively shut down maritime operations at the port, Director Omar Benjamin said Wednesday, as more than 4,500 people arrived at the gates.

Earlier, 50 police officers, many in riot gear and armed with tear-gas canisters, formed a line at Maritime and Bataan roads, near the police command center. About a dozen motorcycle officers had formed a second line behind the police, but have now moved.

About a dozen protesters on bicycles were facing off with the officers but are now riding around the streets outside the port. Where they are headed was not immediately known.

The crowd of more than 4,500 arrived at the Port shortly after 5 p.m. and stretched several blocks down Middle Harbor Road leading into the port as they begin their attempt to shut down the port for start of the 7 p.m. night shift.

www.mercurynews.com...

edit on 11/2/2011 by JackBauer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

And once a clear and decisive message has been communicated it will be even more amazing. Too bad that is unlikely to happen.

if over 1200 occupations world wide is not a clear enough message to you that peeps are pissed off.. I really dont know what is.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
These people are asking for it.

This is going to be ugly.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

I'm not sure. Do you believe the military would fire at its own people? I know if the government hired mercenaries and private contractors they would, but I don't believe our regular soldiers would.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
here's where it starts to get ugly people, truly ugly....

who's fault is it... everyones, it's the 99% for allowing(threw irresponsibility as in becoming dependent on 'the system' and ignorance) to allow the 1% to come to the level of influence in which they have. It's the 1%'s fault for not recognizing this coming a long time ago and addressing it ethically and effectively...

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

This is what the worlds corporations want, is to shut down all shipping ports in America. Apparently the OW protesters are being used to accomplish this feat.

Texas: First Mexican Truck Enters U.S. Under Nafta

www.nytimes.com...

Our corporate bought congresses have sold us out! Wake up America, the world’s corporations are doing their best to close down American shipping ports in the name of greed. The North American corridor will end the docs Union jobs.
The worlds Corporations want to bring all the imports that are going to the United States and Canada to the bottom of Mexico, there is nothing like slave labor to rake in more profits.
The NAFTA Super Corridor is illegal and was done behind the American peoples backs. This is only good for the worlds importing and manufacturing corporations and not the American people.

NAFTA Super Corridor / NAFTA Super Highway / NASCO Trade Corridor

www.americansov.org...

The NAFTA Corridors: Offshoring U.S. Transportation Jobs to Mexico

monthlyreview.org...

The OW protesters have successfully shut down one shipping port; I have to wonder which one is next, New York, LA, San Francisco, or New Orleans?

edit on 2-11-2011 by impressme because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
They're reporting on sky news that Bank windows and ATMs were smashed.

Stage 1 - vandals
Sage 2 - rioters
Stage 3 - looters

and then they have you..... just like in the UK
At least the Grocery Store attack was prevented.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Looks like its heating up there again.

rt.com...

RT has a journalist with the protesters and shes sending updates.

6:26 GMT: RT’s Lucy Kafanov: Protester tells that 200 Oakland PD officers are at 6th and Broadway in riot gear.

6:30 GMT: RT’s Lucy Kafanov: Protesters occupied the building on this street, crowd built barricade

6:34 GMT: RT’s Lucy Kafanov tweets that protesters are running down the street with a garbage dumpster to block off streets.

7:04 GMT: Riot police marching down on, explosion heard, Lucy Kafanov tweets

7: 09 GMT: Occupy Oakland protesters set barricade on fire. Batons are out but riot police holding formation for now. Mood is tense, RT’s Lucy Kafanov

6:35 GMT: RT’s Lucy Kafanov: 16th Street officially taken by Occupy Oakland protesters.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
anybody watching the live stream right now? Or is everyone asleep?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by UnaChispa

I have no need to watch the live stream. I've been at the damn thing since 10:30am this morning

My legs feel like they are going to fall off lol. Without a doubt, I've walked over 7 miles today

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join