It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Charges Against Kobe Bryant Dismissed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Attorneys for the defence and prosecution have been meeting behind closed doors today in the Kobe Bryant case. Late in the afternoon, the rape charges were dismissed by the judge because the alledged victim did not want to go on with the case.

sports.yahoo.com
EAGLE, Colo. (AP) -- Attorneys in the Kobe Bryant case hastily assembled behind closed doors in the courtroom Wednesday amid reports prosecutors will drop the rape charges against the NBA star.

The prosecution will drop the case as early as Thursday, according to media outlets including MSNBC, ABC and Court TV, all citing unidentified sources.

District Attorney Mark Hurlbert scheduled a late afternoon news conference, but his spokeswoman declined to comment before that, as did attorneys for the 20-year-old accuser. Defense attorneys did not return calls seeking comment. L. Lin Wood, an attorney handling the accuser's federal civil lawsuit against Bryant, said that case was intact Wednesday.

There has been no settlement of the civil lawsuit and there have been no discussions concerning a settlement,'' he said. He declined to comment when asked about the criminal case.

Bryant, 26, has said he had consensual sex with a then-19-year-old employee of a Vail-area resort where he stayed last summer. If convicted, the Los Angeles Lakers star would face four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation, and a fine up to $750,000.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 1-9-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Either this girl flat out lied or this case was deliberately sabotaged by the prosecutors office and the court.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Scuttlebut I am hearing is the prosecutor's screwed up again.

In the past the court has released the victim's personal information to the public on 3 separate occassions. Now it turns out that prosecutors did not turn over a possible exculpatory opinion written by an outside pathologist. Kobe's people were going to ask for dismissal due to the actions of the prosecutors.

The prosecution, knowing full well that their actions should result in a dismissal of charges are attempting to salvage the case by asking to drop the charges "without prejudice." This way they can possibly recharge him without worry of double jeopardy.

As far as a possible settlement - I just don't know Fred. This girl was adamant for a year that all she wanted was justice and the court system has continually failed her. At the very least this case sends a disturbing message to victims of rape.

I have to ask you why you think she should be liable for the court costs. The DA could have refused to file charges against Bryant, but they kept saying what a great case they had. Also is it her fault that the courts kept screwing up?

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
What about the far-flung notion that she's an opportunist with dollar signs in her eyeballs? Personally, I think that's a strong likelihood. It happens all the time. I don't buy the idea that she's an innocent babe in the woods who was forcibly raped by some evil monster. Figuratively speaking, I think Bryant is the one who has been raped here.

Bryant, whether guilty or not, has already paid a very high price over accusations that may or may not be true. He has lost, and will never get back, millions of dollars in advertising revenue and will always live under a dark cloud of suspicion, not to mention the millions he has had to spend defending himself. It has caused irreversible damage to his career and hasn't even gone to trial yet. To me, that's not justice.

I think in a case like this BOTH the accused and the accuser's names should be kept under wraps. A person's reputation and livelihood should not be destroyed by the system when their guilt has not even been established. If he's guilty, then he should be punished accordingly and pay the price. Otherwise, his life should go on as it was prior to being accused. It's all too easy for someone to falsely accuse another simply for monetary gain, and thus cause irreversible damage the other person's life.

Something about this case stinks to me. Everyone's a loser, and nothing was gained.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
Scuttlebut I am hearing is the prosecutor's screwed up again.
As far as a possible settlement - I just don't know Fred. This girl was adamant for a year that all she wanted was justice and the court system has continually failed her. At the very least this case sends a disturbing message to victims of rape.

I know, its tuff. Its like the Micheal Jacksons case where he settled with the family. if that was my son and it was true there is NO way I would cut a deal. Id but that bastard in jail, then sue his ass.

I think this whole mess is going to make rape accusers think twice about going to court which is appaling and rape defendants take a hard ball approach to defending themselves.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
By the way, I just heard on MSNBC that the prosecutors have dropped charges against Bryant ...

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Yep. I just heard on the local radio.
Charges were dropped they are saying.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   
That person Kobe Bryant is a severely defective specimen. Hopefully a higher form of justice will prevail. I believe every accusation that girl made.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
We have the best criminal justice system that money can buy. It didn't even go to trial. What does that tell you?

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Kobe is innocent. No woman who is raped has sex with another man right after. It just wouldn't be possible for her. Any woman will agree with that fact.

Kobe's accuser was a liar and just out for his money - although I hope he realizes that he put himself in this whole situation by being a punkass and screwing around on his lovely wife.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brian0U812
Kobe is innocent. No woman who is raped has sex with another man right after. It just wouldn't be possible for her. Any woman will agree with that fact.

Kobe's accuser was a liar and just out for his money - although I hope he realizes that he put himself in this whole situation by being a punkass and screwing around on his lovely wife.

Unfortunately, despite of what people think, it is hard to prove medically without a doubt that she had sex with someone right after - it could have been before and had proven the same results. I think it is shame how the defendents attorneys were given the opportunity to bring up things in court that were not usually permitted in the court of law. I heard a statement on the news last night from Kobe B "clearly her interpretations of consentual sex is different then mine" - my question is what does he consider "consentual"? This has been a game for years of his word against mine and many men still believe to this day that flirting with someone gives them the right to bend them over and have their way. Don't get me wrong, I am not accusing all men of having that type of opinion, however I have been in many court rooms where there have been women totally battered by the justice system because some freak has money to fight with the dirtiest attorney's he can find. I nor nobody else knows for sure if he is innocent or guilty accept for that girl, all I know is what I have seen with Kobe B.'s attorneys and what they have actually gotten away with. I have seen it too many times. The truth always comes out - even if they could not press charges in the future, the truth will eventually come out. I predict that KB will continue to try and pull her through the mud as much as he can (if he is guilty, he will) in most cases men who rape will go out of their way to make themselves and their decision valid in some way, so they go out of their way to discredit the other person. Time will tell.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
�I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman,� Bryant said. �No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case.�
www.msnbc.msn.com...

The above statement and others from the link above are what I heard on the news last night. It almost sounds as though KB himself is questioning what really happened - maybe he got a little carried away. Like I said, the truth will come out eventually. This whole case should have been shut to the public - period, for both KB and for the girl that pressed charges.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
im a big fan of Kobe, and i have met him. i didnt think he would seriously do that, i think the lady lied and was part of an insurance scam as what happened to jerome bettis and micheal jordan. and Kobe was using the consentual sex thing as a legal strategy.His lawyer is known for using far out strategies, but i also here they secretly came to a financial settlement while watching SC this morning.

join