It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Anybody Have Info on the US Air Force's "BIG SAFARI" Program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Howdy,

THe USAF's Big Safari has come onto my radar scope during the research for the Groom lake Project. Does anybody have any information about the program that is beyond a basic google search? FAS has a blurb on them but very little else exists. Im pretty sure they spend alot of time at Groom, but I would like more information.

BIG SAFARI is the USAF's program office responsible for for sustainment and modification of specialized special mission aircraft. Big Safari is a specialized process of acquisition and contracting management process that supports 20-24 projects at any one time and includes responsibility for logistics sustainment for over 50 aircraft. This process was the basis for the Lightning Bolt Initiatives, and is used to accomplish special projects on a quick-reaction basis. Program management includes Detachment 4, 645th Materiel Squadron, U.S. Air Force Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, OH.

Although the Big Safari process already operates at minimum funding due to the effectiveness of its management procedures, and is already far more streamlined than any other program due to the nature of its authority, the Acquisition Reform Initiatives have still helped realize more cost savings. One example is a cost reduction in the F-16 Pod program, brought about by the ability to streamline the test program.

Over its thirty year operational history, the RC-135 fleet has always depended on a streamlined acquisition and requirements management process covered under Aeronautical System Center's BIG SAFARI program. In order to facilitate DOD accepted budgeting consideration criteria for this HQ ACC weapon system in today's fiscal environment, the Air Combat Command approved on 22 Feb 1995 an Operational Requirements Document that formally states all RC-135 requirements in a standardized and recognized format. It specifically covers, as directed by Air Staff HQ USAF/XOR message DTG 142000Z December 1994, all models and missions within the RC-135 fleet (RC-135 V, W, X, S, U, and the TC-135 W and S), including airframe, sensors, avionics, datalinks, ground processing, and training system. This ORD, however, is not a replacement for BIG SAFARI practices but will be used in conjunction with them to articulate this unique weapon system's requirements.
Big Safari was also employed to support the 1994 reactivation of the SR-71, and it was the only AF office that tried to promote the program.

The Lockheed Martin Skunk Works has been a primary contributor to Big Safari, transforming C-130s into Combat Talon (MC-130E), Compass Call/Rivet Fire (EC-130H), Commando Solo (EC-130E), AC-130H Gunship Special Operations Forces Improvement (SOFI), and Senior Scout. The October 1996 arrival of an EC-130H Compass Call electronic warfare jamming aircraft marked the beginning of a transition of US Air Force's Big Safari class programs, which are managed under specialized procedures, from Lockheed Martin facilities in Ontario, CA, to Palmdale, CA. Under the program, Palmdale will perform maintenance and upgrade of the Compass Call aircraft. The first aircraft to arrive is due back at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Arizona in December 1997. Other Big Safari projects moving or moved to Palmdale include Rivet Rider, a special-mission C-130 airborne color television broadcast station and the Pacer Coin C-130 platform which collects airborne and ground signals intelligence

[edit on 1-9-2004 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
located in rancho bernardo, CA

20mi north of san diego.

They deal a lot with unmanned systems now

Had influence with predator

Links with darpa

little is known for reasons

64.233.167.104...:CBzGyOGVQf8J:www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2001/011022-attack01.htm+%22big+safari%22&hl=en

64.233.167.104...:wXBqPNnUzO8J:www.dodig.osd.mil/audit/reports/fy00/00059sum.htm+%22big+safari%22&hl=en

www.google.com...

That should do you good for now.

[edit on 2-9-2004 by ignorance is a plenty]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Excellent than you the Global Security site I have looked into, but I will check out the other two. Thanks for the info

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I think big safari was the inside 911 operatives. The program was taken over by admin? (internal command / security breech)? in 1999 in peculiar circumstances, according to dod report. they oversee the mq-1 predator targeting system allegedly used against south tower on 911.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
BIG SAFARI is an USAF Program Office designed to quickly obtain and field tactical and strategic intelligence systems for AF (and sometimes Navy) aircraft, using streamlined acquisition and finance procedures, especially when time is of the essence. They can get away with these procedures because most of the time they are procuring systems in the single digits.

BIG SAFARI has been around since the mid 60's, when programs like RIVET TOP and the Teledyne-Ryan drones were all the rage in combating the SA-2 threat.

BIG SAFARI has historically been associated with SIGINT systems primarily, however, recent advances in UAV technologies has caused them to branch out into tactical weapons as well.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Hey, were you ever able to find any good info on the big safari program? Do you know anything about Project Liberty??

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Alot of stupidity and disinformation/speculation seems to be what is in this thread so far. Obviously it is old, and whatever. The program is nothing more then ISR operations. Inteligence/surveilance/reconnaissance. The rc-135 fleet is based at offutt afb, ne. It operates out of there, as well as kadena AB, japan, RAF mildenhall, england, fol(foward operating location)
al udied, doha, qatar, fol, hato intl airport, curacao, as well as diego garcia, indian ocean... There are a few other ops that go about, but id probably have my nuts cut off if i posted them on here, possibly ill consider this loss in the future depending on what happens after this post. I can go into much detail about the internals, the diagnostics, the baselines, etc., as well as the linguists, ases, sigs ops, navs, etc. that are aboard, incluing current op names and positions, such as the current list of their AA, AMS, DLO positions. I probably will get in trouble though :violin:. Like I really give a #. If anyone is still interested in this, ask away, and I will answer what I feel i can without worrying about a few certain people breathing down my kneck.

Ninja edit: the moron from rancho bernado is apperently smoking some good weed, from what i read up there,lmao. Im not a disinfo person either, hes just stupid and has no clue wtf hes talking about. Ninja edit 2:darpa does work quite closely with the program....

[edit on 26-12-2009 by davey0!]

[edit on 26-12-2009 by davey0!]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorance is a plenty
located in rancho bernardo, CA

20mi north of san diego.

They deal a lot with unmanned systems now

Had influence with predator

Links with darpa

little is known for reasons

64.233.167.104...:CBzGyOGVQf8J:www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2001/011022-attack01.htm+%22big+safari%22&hl=en

64.233.167.104...:wXBqPNnUzO8J:www.dodig.osd.mil/audit/reports/fy00/00059sum.htm+%22big+safari%22&hl=en

www.google.com...

That should do you good for now.

[edit on 2-9-2004 by ignorance is a plenty]

Are you referring to General Atomics Aeronautical Systems? They have a few facilities in the San Diego area.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
My bet would be the former Ryan Aeronautical, now known as Northrop Grumman in Rancho Bernardo, CA. There is a connection between BIG SAFARI and the drones developed there in the past.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Here is a document discussing BIG SAFARI and SENIOR YEAR programs, you may find of interest:

Allegations Relating the Security Controls on Two USAF Programs

new topics

top topics

join