It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The whole world is watching: OWS protester talks about assaults inside the camp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Citizens of the animal farm turning feral:

There have been multiple incidents of assault, drug dealing and drug use, rape and attempted rape, according to conversations with numerous protesters. And the problem, they say, is getting worse.

In the past several weeks, the cluster of tents at the west end of the park — the farthest section from the bustle of working groups and activity near Broadway — has grown increasingly dangerous, many say. The sanitation team has reported finding needles in tents, and reports of crack and crystal meth use have surfaced. But the most serious concern most protesters say, is the risk of assault, especially for women and at night…

But disruptions abounded during Monday’s meeting [on how to deal with crime and violence in the park], illustrating a concern for many occupiers: Can the current consensus-driven decision-making process function as the group in Zuccotti grows larger.

“These people are telling you what to do!” an agitated man with a mohawk shouted out. “There are many dangerous things being spoken right now!”

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Broadway — has grown increasingly dangerous, many say. The sanitation team has reported finding needles in tents, and reports of crack and crystal meth use have surfaced.

Minus OWS, its sounds like business as usual in NYC. But because it involves the touchy feelings people have about OWS protest, it becomes a big deal.

Just my opinion though.

edit on 2-11-2011 by sicksonezer0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
How kind of you to change the name of the article in your link and only cherry pick quotes for a sensationalized thread.

Occupy Wall Street Protesters Wrestle With Growing Security Concerns

Here's some of my own cherry picking from the same article.

"We are convinced [the rise in crime] is being partly manufactured by the authorities," Zetah said. "A lot of people who have ended up in the park have said that the police told them: 'Take it to Zuccotti.' "

Many other occupants said they had heard similar stories from people in the park exhibiting anti-social and criminal behavior.

Another rumor that has been circulating alleges that the drop-off bus from Rikers Island has been rerouted to deliver recently released inmates directly to Zuccotti park in an attempt to undermine the protests. A spokeswoman for the New York City Department of Correction said the city was "absolutely not busing inmates to Zuccotti Park," and added that there has been a drop-off point in lower Manhattan since mid-August, 2010.

"My feeling is, it doesn't matter how they're here. They're here. We have to deal with them," said Deborah Goodman, a member of community watch. "I hope we don't get mired in process."

Goodman says when she first joined the group, they offered an hour of training to new members. Goodman, a retired legal secretary, was skeptical.

"An hour is not enough time to learn how to deal with this," she said. "I love this movement, but I think that right now we are in a period of critical growing pains."

new topics

join