It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lesbians named Homecoming King and Queen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Lesbians named Homecoming King and Queen

www.examiner.com

For the first time, according to various accounts, Rebeca Arellano and Haileigh Adams are the first openly lesbian couple to be crowned the king and queen of a homecoming. The event happened when the two high school students were given the honor this weekend at Patrick Henry High School in California.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
www.examiner.com...

With everything going on in politics, at home and abroad, losing sight of what's happening here in the US in our everyday lives might be easy to do. In what could be called a dramatic change in our culture, two female students have been named Queen and King of the Homecoming in San Diego, California.

Photo of the 'King and Queen' and more on the story... www.examiner.com...

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 30-10-2011 by ChicagOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ChicagOpinion

They look like really sweet girls....good for them! They are also so fortunate that they both have supporting, loving parents.

Life sure is changing in general society...what is accepted now and what once wasn't

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Good for them. They're a cute couple.
The king is the short one?

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Not to be picky, but is one of them transgendered? Otherwise, how can there be a "king"?

Kudos to them, but I'm seriously curious.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I especially like the quote they gave in response to non-supporters about tradition. Go chickies!
So nice to have the rare diversion from the regular humdrum news now.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Yeah I just read the story and I think it's just ridiculous but I shouldn't have expected anything different It is California afterall........ Good on them for being a happy couple and what not but it's not an excuse to trample on a high school tradition like this.... A king is a male, who wants to dispute this with evidence of a king ever being a woman? It's not like they had to be a couple in order to win the title most of the time the king and queen of proms are not even dating... This is a once in a lifetime opportunity stolen from one of the male students... I don't care if the king was a gay male and the queen a gay female but don't screw with tradition......

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5
Yeah I just read the story and I think it's just ridiculous but I shouldn't have expected anything different It is California afterall........ Good on them for being a happy couple and what not but it's not an excuse to trample on a high school tradition like this.... A king is a male, who wants to dispute this with evidence of a king ever being a woman? It's not like they had to be a couple in order to win the title most of the time the king and queen of proms are not even dating... This is a once in a lifetime opportunity stolen from one of the male students... I don't care if the king was a gay male and the queen a gay female but don't screw with tradition......

It's a vote. That's the tradition. If the students voted for two hamsters, those two hamsters better damned well be getting crowned king and queen.
edit on 30-10-2011 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Oh my gosh, I am so happy for them! I hope this change sweeps across the nation!

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Here's what one of the king/queen girls wrote about non supporting people...

For all the girls who think tradition should be continued, go back to the kitchen, stop having sex before you're married, get out of school and job system, don't have an opinion, don't own any property, give up the right to marry who you love, don't vote, and allow your husband to do whatever he pleases to you. Think about the meaning of tradition when you use it in your argument against us.

Sounds about right!

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
YAAAAAY! Go Lesbians!

Yay!

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ChicagOpinion

That's dumb. I am all for gay rights, but this is just for attention.
The homecoming king and queen aren't supposed to be a couple right?
They are a guy voted king and a girl voted queen. Usually they are from different couples that are split up from their dates for the "honor" share a dance and then split.

That said.. I actually don't care and this isn't really news or worthy of ATS.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Well, you know these people. Votes only matter if the vote gets the results they want.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
The whole "Homecoming" tradition should be scrapped. Both in HS and at university, Invariably every homecoming I can remember one of my school mates was killed in a car crash due to them drinking and driving or the person driving was drinking while they were a passenger. Perhaps things have changed, but I doubt it.

Don't drink and drive!

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I don't know why anyone should complain. Gender is soooo twentieth century. Girl Scouts has boys, who think they are girls.

The parents must be stoked to have such trendy kids bucking traditions and norms. Having a transgender kid now is like adopting a foreign kid was 15 years ago.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

I am a pretty progressive thinking guy..
but something about the trans kids taking transition steps before puberty makes me a little uncomfortable.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

(clears the sarcasm from his voice)

I think the whole trans kid thing is ridiculous. Parents shouldn't encourage this crap. Schools shouldn't sanction it, as in the homecoming case.

I don't know if parents are scared to stand up to their kids, or just brainwashed from 40 years of political correctness or what.
edit on 31-10-2011 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

To simplify it for you, NEWS is defined in Merriam-Webster as:
"a : a report of recent events b : previously unknown information c : something having a specified influence or effect."

This story meets all three of Merriam-Webster's definitions.
The most useless posts on this site are posts that make the readers read that "so-and-so" doesn't think something is news.
Somebody does think it's news or it wouldn't be posted - all right? Get over yourself, my friend.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
From a masculine gay point of view I wonder if by the same process a male-male couple will ever be crowned the "Homecoming Queens", or perhaps also "King and Queen"?

I think non transgender same-sex couples should both keep their mark of gender.
Two women should be queens, and two men should be kings.
So, while I applaud and wish them the best, the notion of variety in gender should be expanded, rather than forced into a hetero-normative paradigm.
edit on 31-10-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Parents should of course abide by whatever a proponent of violence on ATS thinks they should do with their kids, right, Wolf? After all, you know best, what with your... uh... and all that... uhm...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join