It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photo-realistic 3D Maps, far better than Google Maps.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
A 3D maps company called C3 has designed a 3D map system similar to Google Earth, but this one is light years ahead. The maps are so realistic that even trees are fully rendered in 3D. It is almost as if the entire Earth was scanned from all directions by some kind of laser imaging. They claim that their tech was developed based on secret military maps. Take a look.

This is a video of the demo at CES 2011 at Las Vegas.

Here is another video that shows some detailed 3D trees too!
edit on 30-10-2011 by BIGPoJo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
How do you spell "wow" in some weird Scandanavian dialect?

That is some amazing tech.... seriously, it's SO impressive. Here's hoping that Google buy it from them and incorporate it into maps!

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Looks like Apple has bought into it.

www.appleinsider.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
The problem is, with google maps/earth, the imagery is updated periodically so you can actually use the timeline scrubber to see older imagery, and if you renovate your house, eventually your house will be updated into it.

Unless this is updated then it's pretty much a snapshot of when the images were taken. They don't mention if the data is current or ongoing, or from when it was initially released to the public from the military.

Also it's hard enough to get complete data into googles databases as it is, I can imagine this being a nightmare, if you don't live in an important or popular area. Joe bloggs in woop woop may never see his house in spectacular 3D, let alone in street view, or indeed in any decent resolution on google earth.

Was he reluctant to mention pricing? Or just hard to understand??

Either way, I'll be keeping an eye on it, looks amazing for what it showed!

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo
It is almost as if the entire Earth was scanned from all directions by some kind of laser imaging.

very well could be

"LIDAR: Light Detection And Ranging

-scanning infra-red laser
Laser reflections are detected at 100,000 measurements per second

...Laser reflection points, IMU and GPS data are combined, giving a point cloud with better than 5cm accuracy"

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo
Looks like Apple has bought into it.

www.appleinsider.com...
not bought into it, bought it. So you'll be able to get it on an iPhone but probably not an Android?

That still doesn't make me want an iPhone. Yes it looks better than Google maps but it's not really direct competition, Google maps is free and covers everywhere, the C3 tech is neither. But if you happen to be in one of the big cities in the database, and have an iPhone, and buy an app from the app store, and probably pay a monthly fee, you'll be able to use it.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
according to some user comments c3 is now owned by apple.

anyways imagine google earth laggyness x 10

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
We have a virtual Brisbane map, created by a company called AAM www.gim-international.com...
www.brisbane.qld.gov.au...

Also, LiDAR has been around for a while and is a fantastic technology. It captures points at different elevations and can differentiate between various vegetation types, buildings, ground and water. It is widely used for mapping vegetation and forestry. I recently used it to model flow path and accumulation of water down a mountain.

But you don't need LiDAR to build 3D models. Google Sketchup can be used to create what ever you want, then you just need a program like an ESRI GIS to add them in and create a scene.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24

Jøss

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604

Jøss

åfan

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by zenius
Also, LiDAR has been around for a while and is a fantastic technology. It captures points at different elevations and can differentiate between various vegetation types, buildings, ground and water. It is widely used for mapping vegetation and forestry. I recently used it to model flow path and accumulation of water down a mountain.

But you don't need LiDAR to build 3D models. Google Sketchup can be used to create what ever you want, then you just need a program like an ESRI GIS to add them in and create a scene.
LIDAR can do all that, but I didn't think it can do what this app does, which is rotate 360 degrees around a building and clearly see detail of all 4 sides of the building.

I'm pretty sure you need more than just LiDAR for that.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

If you have LIDAR you have to convert it to a Digital Elevation Model. Then you can drape a photo or a 3D sketch over the top of it and rotate in any direction if you have the right software. I've been using ESRI ArcInfo products.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miccey

Jøss

åfan

Fytti katta!

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I have one, tiny little, question: Where are we going...with all this technology? I understand, "they're" trying to "build a smarter planet"
but.....what is the PURPOSE for it all? I didn't know the planet was stupid...just those that live on it...so, why does it need to be built "smarter"?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by nuttin4U

Most things I've read about being 'smarter' have had to do with government relating to sustainability. Usually it's economic sustainability, but it's supposed to be environmental and social as well. I guess 'smarter' is supposed to be more efficient - time, money and energy wise.
What's the good of it? Where's it going? Just look at any sci fi movie.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miccey

Jøss

åfan

Upeaa!

new topics

top topics

join