It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Body armor?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I've found several bullet proof vests online that appear to be less than authentic. Does anyone know where the best place to find a real one is? What types are available and which one offers the most protection?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

This seems like a legit website,safeguardclothing.com I know that the prices range. Usually you get what you pay for. Dragon Skin armor is supposed to be the best, they have a youtube video for it....

I guess there is controversy though.
edit on 28-10-2011 by PunchingBag80 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-10-2011 by PunchingBag80 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-10-2011 by PunchingBag80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by PunchingBag80

Um, what site?
Edit: don't worry, its fixed
edit on 28-10-2011 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I've have scouted several online stores for body armor.

A few things you should know.

1. Unless you're going to spend 1500-2500 bucks you're not going to get anything that will help you when the SHTF. A 5.56mm steel core round will defeat IIIA body armor.

2. Most places online will not sell you body armor unless you can prove that your are military, LEO, or in a security outfit. That means you'd better have paperwork.

3. If you want body armor because of the potential for a bad situation, be aware that BA weighs a ton and it WILL slow you down. I'd just a soon go without it.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I am not about to try to survive in a SHTF scenario wearing body armor.....that is mentally retarded on so many levels. I was just thinking that it would be a good thing to have in a home defense kit. Why confront an intruder without it?
edit on 29-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

I takes a while to properly fit into IBA.

You'd better off shooting the bastard first and asking questions later.

If you're really concerned about it you can put the same amount of money into a portable FLIR unit and get blackout curtains.

If anyone breaks in they won't see you, but you will see them.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Army surplus store depending on your state.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

I'd rather not take the chance that they would get me first. I'm also not going to shoot before I know what's going on. I guess since I have no "paper work" I don't get anything though. That's kind of a dumb law.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

They sell the armor carriers not the trauma plates. And if they do sell the plates they are going to be VERY expensive compared to online sources.
edit on 29-10-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

That doesn't mean you can't get body armor.

Ebay has many people who are willing to sell it. Though many have different terms and different requirements.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

I'm in DC. I can go to MD, VA, or WV to buy it. Do you know the regulations for those states?

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

VA is probably your best bet.

It is legal to wear IBA in VA unless you are committing a crime with it on. Then they will add any weapons and the IBA as enhancements to you sentence.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Well I'm certainly not going to commit any crimes!
Just trying to make sure that a wise infiltrator doesn't get the drop on me is all, should that ever happen.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Didn't think you were.

Just relaying pretty much the only law in regard to IBA in VA.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Dunno.. I know in K.y. you can. Dunno about W.Va., but you can probably find out via Google. Just out of curiosity.. why do you want it? Haha I don't know how one goes about buying it really, I just know I have seen it in Army Surplus stores in town (I went a few days ago to buy equipment for a halloween costume and oddly enough at the exact moment I was looking at their flak jackets, which I didn't know were legal, a guy came in and asked about them). I wonder if they take your name or anything?
edit on 29-10-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

They do sell functional vests. I know because I was in the store the other day and saw them and asked about the legality and etc to the guy. It was completely coincidental. They had a flak jacket and they had a vest that said it could take up to 9mm. They were in the 100 to 200 dollar range. I was there buying an outfit for a post apocalyptic survivor costume for halloween.

While I was looking at the vest a guy came in to buy one.

Oh also interesting anecdote. While I was talking to the guy that ran the place he told me the young kids come in and will blow several hundred dollars getting gas masks, vests, and outfits to wear while they play call of duty online so they get a more "realistic" experience.
edit on 29-10-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

I just said why. If someone breaks into your house, why wouldn't a bullet proof vest be just as important as a gun? I think protecting myself with both items is a good idea.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

I didn't see your post at the time. Not being accusatory just curious.
Also, despite what the other poster said, I have seen functional vests with the plates, or whatever in them at the store.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

this page should answer all your questions worked with a gent that gave employes one took a 44 brushed and sore but nothing more www.bulletproofme.com... wish i still had mine had to give it back or pay the $$ for it

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

No problem. Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join