It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man confuses moon with UFO ... very funny!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Thought I would post a funny article I read this morning - it is Friday!

The latest has a few people chuckling. It's a recording of a man who dialled 999 and told the operator: "It's not an emergency per se, but there is something flying over our house. It's coming towards me now, enormous lights blazing, I don't know what it is ... big bright light in the sky, coming towards me.'' The operator tells him that she would see if anyone in the area knew about it.

Two minutes later, he called back: ''I just made a mistake ... I thought I saw something that was really strange and it wasn't actually. ... You won't believe it, it's the moon. I'm terribly sorry." Read more: www.smh.com.au...

You can see the video below;

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Sounds like Sir Alex Ferguson has had a few too many bottles of wine

Mind you he needed them after getting beat by city (Come on City)

He shoulda know it was the Blue Moon rising

edit on 27-10-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

He sounds like a lot of ATS members doesn't he?

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

LOL gold!

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
The guy sounds like he's quite totally wasted
Wasted enough to think, that the Moon is attacking you

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I'llhave what he's having!

Can just picture him making the call from a cupboard under the stairs wearing a geiger counter and a tinfoil helmet!

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

cant stop laughin at that man haha

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I pretty sure this man was Richard Hoagland.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I just figured I would add this, since no one considered it.

It might be possible that he saw an actual UFO, but when he started to think of what he would have to say to the police about seeing one, he reconsidered and thought it would be better to seem foolish than crazy...

I mean how likely is someone to actually think the moon is a UFO, and he said bright LIGHTS with an s
moving towards him...

Just thinking out loud.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
totally drunk...lol nice of him to call back though.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

hey thats not funny

One night I glanced out of my bathroom window and saw a light - I stared at it for a few minutes, and thought I saw a red blink - I immediately assumed it was an airplane (being near an airport and all) - but I kept watching and it didn't move

so I went and sat outside, and I noticed OMG, when did the stars get so bright? But this one, this one was absolutely brilliant - at least 10 times brighter than anything else in the sky - for a brief period I even let myself believe it could be something unusual - but after a few hours, it was pretty obvious it was a star - just to make sure I look for it now - all the time
its always there - where it should be - depending on the time of night

so it wasn't anything special about the star itself - but I sure did notice how clear my local skies are lately - less pollution? some other phenomenon? who knows - but I'm grateful - I'm 37 years old and never saw so many stars (even camping..)

I'm pretty confident now that its Sirius, since I'm facing North

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by KingAtlas

It might be possible that he saw an actual UFO, but when he started to think of what he would have to say to the police about seeing one, he reconsidered and thought it would be better to seem foolish than crazy...

I mean how likely is someone to actually think the moon is a UFO, and he said bright LIGHTS with an s
moving towards him...
The world's leading scientist in search of aliens (Jill Tarter, Director of SETI) had a similar experience thinking the moon looked like a UFO when it was partially obscured by clouds, which can alter the appearance and make it unrecognizable. However she didn't call emergency services about it, she waited a few minutes and figured out it was the moon when the clouds moved a bit so she could tell what it was.

Tim Printy wrote an article about this:

The Moon as a UFO

It sounds crazy doesn’t it? I have to admit I would side with many UFOlogists in proclaiming that I would think it extremely unlikely that the brightest thing in the sky next to the sun could be mistaken for a UFO. This appears to be the sentiment that Jerome Clark expressed in his commentary about Astronomer Jill Tarter, who had admitted she had been fooled by the moon in some clouds for a short period of time while in an airplane once.

Jill Tarter looked ridiculous when she admitted (boasted, even) that - as an astronomer yet - she failed to recognize what any Joe Doakes has no trouble identifying instantly: the moon partially hidden by clouds. (Clark)

So, Clark has proclaimed that just about anybody should be able to recognize the moon and would not consider it a UFO. However, there are UFO cases where the moon has played a role.

The Moon under unsual atmospheric conditions.

Many UFOlogist rarely appreciate how sky conditions can make familiar objects look not so familiar. In the case of Jill Tartar, she was recounting an episode where she saw a bright light peaking out of some clouds. She would realize what it was once she watched the sky clear enough to reveal the source of the light. Mrs. Tartar was just admitting how she had been fooled for a few minutes by a common event in the sky seen under unusual conditions.

People think of the moon as a stationary object (more or less) in the sky, and don't realize it can follow their car, but it can appear to do just that:

...in case 363, the moon was construed to "follow" a car. When the car stopped, it "kept on going" right over the western horizon. In case 569, the moon "followed" the car and always matched its speed.

It was claimed (in case 295) that the moon "landed one to two miles away," and in another case "came down on Plum Island." In case 86, the simple dimming of the moon near the horizon was interpreted as line-of-sight motion. (Hendry 45-6)

Why would any "Joe Doakes" think the moon was following their car and why would any individual think the moon "landed" only a few miles from their house? It is clear from Hendry's writing that the claim that everyone can readily identify the moon is not valid and people do make errors. Some of these errors may sound ridiculous now but the witness felt these were accurate observations of what they saw.
There are scientific explanations for how the moon, Venus, Jupiter, or other fixed objects in the sky can "follow" a car, yet many people dismiss this and say "It couldn't have been Venus, it followed my car and Venus can't follow a car".

Wrong. It can appear to do just that, as can the moon. Here's another case:

A waitress in California got home at 3:57 AM when she saw a saucer "twenty-five feet in diameter" with red, green, and blue flashing lights and a cloud haze around it. This report had a lot of other provactive elements going for it:
1) The waitress called two more adult witnesses, who also filled out reports describing the saucer.
2) Two lights were seen next to the saucer that looked like stars but pulsated different colors like the object.
3) The saucer hovered stationary over a hospital for fifty minutes and then shot straight into the sky very rapidly. Surprisingly, the two "stars" disappeared at the same time.
4) A loud humming noise was heard throughout the observation. At the end, the hum got louder and changed into a high-pitched loud beeping sound just prior to the "rapid ascent"
5) The lights were seen dimming and brightening in the parking lot of the Grossmont Hospital over which the saucer hovered, "as if it were sucking energy from them."
6) Animal reactions included her parakeet screeching and her dogs howling and barking.
7) Physiological reactions were present here too; while watching the saucer the waitress felt as if she were in a trance and could hardly speak.
That was the moon too, betcha didn't know the moon could do that!

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
So every day I go to work.
At work I sit at this desk in the lobby.
I've been looking at this same desk, which looks very much like a desk, every day for years now.

So one day I'm sitting at this desk, I put down my smartphone and look at the desk.
Next thing I know I'm freaking out, screaming and running from what I thought was a monstrous breast trying to devour my legs...until a co-worker points out it's just a desk.

Yeah, that's what this it's.
I can see this happening.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by dethduck
Yeah, that's what this it's.
I can see this happening.
I can see it happening too if there was some dense fog obscuring the view. It seems like many of the moon as a UFO cases involve some type of atmospheric interference, like clouds or haze. Also keep on mind that the desk can't "follow" your car like the moon can, so you're more likely to mistake the moon for an object following your car, than a desk.

And yes you have reason to be skeptical, heck the author of the article I posted said he was skeptical, but it does happen, as he goes on to point out.

home.comcast.net...

It sounds crazy doesn’t it? I have to admit I would side with many UFOlogists in proclaiming that I would think it extremely unlikely that the brightest thing in the sky next to the sun could be mistaken for a UFO.

edit on 28-10-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Yes but the point i was making is that, people might change thier story because of a feear of ridicule or ostaciztion.

When someone realises the large scale implication of what they would be admitting publically, then they would be more motivated to change their story and keep the truth silenced,

I mean from your perspective perhaps you would find nothing wrong with admitting the, you might even enjoy the fact that you saw that, but some would not want to be associated with UFO`s and would change their story to seem `normal``

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
An existing thread started by MisterLondon discussing this 999 call is at the link below:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by dethduck

Monstrous leg eating breasts you say.
Sounds like a woman I used to know.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Wow...just wow....Ok the next time I see another "Americans are stupid" video posted on YouTube I am going
to post this in response to it.

edit on 10/28/2011 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Sounds more like an intentional prank call that the prankster attempted to recant out of fear of going to jail. LOL!

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by KingAtlas

moving towards him...

Just thinking out loud.

Now this is a very classic ATS reply.

No Seriously he DID see a UFO, they do exist, he just didnt want to come forward anymore after logically (while being wasted) thinking about it.

new topics

top topics

join