It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If There Was A Nuclear Attack

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by R3N3G4D3

First order of business would be to make sure that I've survived. Meaning I'd wait 10 days where ever I had found to hide. Then, I would get a Geiger counter as soon as my head was back above ground. The I would search for food and water that wasn't radiating. If I had to, I'd travel as far as I had to.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Well that only really applies to you in the USA doesn't it? No FEMA in the UK.....

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

sorry your cars vehicle system is toast from the EMP pulse the war head gave off as the fusion or fission takes place, pre 1960 cars trucks should be ok if not the old dura spark sys duel points, and not running when the bomb went off, frying the alt, gen sys 6 volt would be ok as well. new cars trucks... just might as well walk when there is a nuke bomb, it will fry all electrical sys unless you got a Faraday cage around your vehicle.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Haha sorry, it was a nuke according to the OP and not an EMP bomb.

I'm sending you for another round of CBR/CNBR classes

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
As others have said, it depends on the scale your talking about.
Your issues are mainly going to be EMP, fallout, and other survivors.

In a full-scale attack, one of the first weapons detonated would be a high altitude burst. This is to disable all unshielded electrical equipment. Batteries would cease to function, cars would not start, computers would be fried, etc. This is why military equipment is hardened for EMP, and you’ll notice things such as fighters cockpit canopies are lined with a thin mesh of gold. Anything that can reach a grounding point, or is not protected in a Faraday cage is going to be toast.

Next comes the actual attack. They will first hit any military installations basing missiles and bombers plus any command structure that can launch a retaliation. This is the attack that will, long term, pretty much end life on the planet permanently. Since most of our launch sites are hardened against such an attack, they use what is called a “Slow walk”. Here is a picture of what a slow walk looks like:
www.ki4u.com...

When a missile impacts a buried hardened structure it throws lots of debris in the air. This cloud of dust then protects the remaining missile silos from incoming attacks because the dust cloud will actually destroy the fast moving incoming warheads, while at the same time still allowing the slow moving outbound missiles to launch. So they dig them up, by hitting one, moving to another, waiting for the dust to settle on the first one, then hitting it again. This will throw so much fallout into the upper atmosphere, and the jet stream, that it wall literally coat the planet in this radioactive ash.

That ash is going to be in the water, the air, coating every surface on the planet. Once you inhale or ingest enough of it, you will slowly and painfully die from radiation poisoning. Then as an added bonus, this ash will create a layer in the upper atmosphere, cutting off sunlight, and causing a nuclear winter. Pretty much any life that is left on the surface, that has not died of radiation poisoning up to this point, will slowly starve to death before all that ash dissipates.

Of course they still will hit all the production and population centers just to put the icing on the cake.

If you can manage to survive the fallout ash long enough for it to decrease in radioactive strength (bunker down somewhere), you might be able to move around outside, that is as long as you don’t kick any up and inhale it. All the surviving wildlife though will have been exposed to it, and if you eat their meat, you’ll ingest the radiation yourself. Of course it will be in all the water sources too, and if not properly filtered, again you’ll ingest it. It might take years for all that ash to wash away to acceptable levels without humans cleaning the area up. Of course until all the ash is out of the atmosphere, every gust of wind or drop of rain will bring fresh fallout to the area.

As to people, well... You just played fallout, so you kind of don’t need me to explain that…
There’s a reason it called Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD).

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic

Originally posted by Shadowalker
reply to post by Jepic

sealed foods that can have fallout rinsed from outside the packaging before opening are fine. They will contain no radiation at all.

Taking objects that cannot be fully scrubbed down and cleaned is a very bad thing though.

Radiation does pass through a tin can. It will pass like a knife through warm butter. Especially gamma radiation. Especially in the form of a nuclear bomb, because all the energy and radiation the blast gives out.

Correct it passes through everything. But just like an x-ray it doesn't stay. You can x-ray a can of beans and then take it home and eat it. The x-rays microscopically damage the item some but its very safe to eat. Just the same as in a pandemic, the packaging should be washed with brushes and water at the place its found and then again once it is home to remove fallout dust. Often fallout is so small it cant be seen without a 10x loop.

Gamma dissipates rapidly and almost instantly once released, the same as an x-ray. Fallout is carrying the nuclear fuel that wasnt consumed in the reaction. Those atoms are still splitting and releasing more gamma particles. When you learn the rule of 7 then it becomes quite clear. They briefly cover it in my previous link under "5.Shelter" Thats a free one to distribute. If you have the money Get the two or three books on the subject everyone carries. They have a lot of useful info.

An effective shelter will cut the gamma from 500R down to 5R or less as well. Properly constructed a shelter should drop your exposure by 200 times or more.

The more you educate yourself, the better your chances.Having the proper knowledge, equipment, skills and PPE is key.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join