It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bombings, beheadings? Stats show a peaceful world

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Ironically, the whole premise of this thread shows one aspect of human development which shows us in a rather negative light today- the media does, indeed thrive on fear, and more importantly, politicians love to encourage a notion of fear to further control mechanisms- it seems, even though we have a massive array of information, technology and potential for independently researching things, we appear to be the most easy to frighten population in history.

Also, in the UK example, we are a more crime ridden society than we were 60 years ago, we care less for our families (sink estates with women who produce various offspring with different fathers who do not get involved with the kids), our old people languish in "care" homes and hospitals often a burden and inconvenience to their families etc

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
well I can tell you that crime has increased massively since the 1950s if you want to know, maybe you don't

Look, I've no doubt that one can find an increase in a trend if one looks at one country for one statistic over one recent time period... but I thought this thread was more about worldwide trends.

Maybe you should start a new thread specifically for 1950-2011 UK crime trends.
(But not just the last 20 years because its falling and that doesnt suit your agenda)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The sheer mass of media and information available to such large portions of populations allows for small, isolated, events to appear massive and to affect people on a global scale.

It's in Afghanistan, yet, it's in my living room, it's on my iPad, on my radio in my car. It's in my head. Always.

Media is designed to make mountains out of mole-hills (or however that saying goes), and I am not saying that it needs to be regulated, it just needs to be pointed out more and recognized as such.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by blueorder
well I can tell you that crime has increased massively since the 1950s if you want to know, maybe you don't

Look, I've no doubt that one can find an increase in a trend if one looks at one country for one statistic over one recent time period... but I thought this thread was more about worldwide trends.

Maybe you should start a new thread specifically for 1950-2011 UK crime trends.
(But not just the last 20 years because its falling and that doesnt suit your agenda)

I don't have an agenda, just pointing out that it is not really sensible to compare murder rates with now and the 15th century when a turnip was a treat-.

As for your comment, clearly the 1950s is the significant point in modern assessment of the stats, because of the huge social and cultural changes which englufed us with the 1960s- crime levels over the last few decades are massively higher than the period before that revolution- maybe you don't like that, who knows

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalunom
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Making the world seem more violent than it really is, yes, an interesting topic.

It's a great way to sell weapons, vaccines, security systems, and AND a great way to sell ideas to people such as, "it's ok to give up some personal liberties in the name of personal security and defense of country".

Had to reiterate this... also add INSURANCE to the list...
They want you to believe your life is ruined without your car/home/etc.
But in reality, life goes on, and tragedy can become opportunity in a flash... No house, no car? great you can quit your unsatisfying job and move closer to family and start over...

Also a large part of the fear machine is making everyone fear their neighbors... Destroying cohesion within communities.
For a long time I've been telling people all this rape, gang stuff, burglary etc is not a realistic fear. The odds are so trivial that you'll be a victim of something like this...
And yet parents clutch their children, "No talking to strangers", and we triple lock our doors.
The interesting thing is that it's usually someone you already know fairly well who would be guilty of a violation like this...

/rant
ANYWAY, interesting thread, thanks

top topics

<< 1   >>

join