It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Raid Occupy Sydney site, violent confrontations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
This morning at dawn the Sydney police and riot squad conducted a raid on the Occupy Sydney protestors, using excessive force:

I saw bloody noses, I saw police throwing punches and I myself was put into a wrist lock like I have never experienced before - I was screaming in pain

There's more, protestors allegedly fought back:

The raid came after two protesters were charged with assaulting police and resisting arrest last night

A police officer was treated for lacerations to his head after he was allegedly struck with a metal torch.

Four people are expected to be charged with assaulting police and seven were issued filed court attendance notices for breaching a local government act.

Source: www.news.com.au...

Furthermore, the Perth protestors are going to Occupy the city during the Commonwealth leaders conference next week. More so, they and another group are going to march on the CHOGM. The ADF and Special unit cops will be there.

Source: www.abc.net.au...

Australia isn't taking the Occupy protests lightly.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
So I suppose people are saying that if anyone disobeys the police who act as they are told to to enforce current law, then the police are in the wrong?

I would love the address of just one protestor and we'll see what happens to my rights when I approach them. They are such losers. I am in full support of the Police in this regard.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I wonder of daaskapital actually knew what he was protesting. They don't mention what they do, if they have a job, why they were there against the law etc etc etc.

Daaskapital is just a whinger who susn't get his way when asked to move on. Let us try to set up a tent in his backyard and see who gets a bloody nose?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by daggyz
I wonder of daaskapital actually knew what he was protesting. They don't mention what they do, if they have a job, why they were there against the law etc etc etc.

Daaskapital is just a whinger who susn't get his way when asked to move on. Let us try to set up a tent in his backyard and see who gets a bloody nose?

Mate, i am not an Occupy protestor. All i am doing is drawing attention to the situations unfolding in the Australian scene of 'Occupy'.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Oh ho.. Be carefull, that is enough reason for the US and NATO to bomb the place !

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
What is the point in protesting? No one is going to do a damn thing except go broke and then go home when their money runs out and then get on unemployment and drag the economy down even more. I'm sorry, i may not do a whole lot for a living but at least i am trying and i do not have time to go to these protests because i'm a working man and a working man has to eat.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

man australian police are being pure scum over this issue.
just because a few people do something they beat up the whole lot?
australian authroity and government have made it very clear in the last week that we do not have freedoms and going against what they say is not allowed.
You can see they are scared.
They know people are right, and they dont want more people waking up.. which is what these protests are doing, spreading awarness.
If police continue to do this soon enough they are going to have to be running not assualting their own citizens.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
CHOGM will be an interesting event.

The police have made sure they will have absolute control, and..

I don't see the people protesting will have much say in it, and I do not think they will have a valid reason in their own minds.

it will be interesting..

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Wow. wow wow wow.

How can I say this without being offensive or hurtful? I surely cant.

Here in the US we view aussies and brits as a subspecies. Like monkeys that couldnt evolve into apes and then men. Its a general pulse and feeling here. I think it stems from wanting to be subjects and not free men.

Hard to quantify or put into words. Its no doubt any that attempt to rise after being beaten don submissives will be treated as such. They failed to make their presence and power known. Its kinda obvious what the outcome is going to be there.

No offense meant.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
What is the point in protesting? No one is going to do a damn thing except go broke and then go home when their money runs out and then get on unemployment and drag the economy down even more. I'm sorry, i may not do a whole lot for a living but at least i am trying and i do not have time to go to these protests because i'm a working man and a working man has to eat.

You make a fair point...and frankly, I'm not sure there is time left in the systemic problems coming to the point of collapse to actually change anything, at all. It's also quite fair that you work and don't have time. In saying that, I would note that OWS - St Louis did grow in number by a measurable % every night by people just like you, who also worked for a living and couldn't be there full time......yet still tried.

I don't see where the above things justify attacking those who are willing to go out and try. Not everyone who number among the unemployed are drawing unemployment. It isn't like that is an automatic thing to receive by any stretch. Some had savings that are now totally exhausted. That is why you see respected economists and others refer to an official Un-Employment rate vs. an Actual rate and the two are very different things.

I suppose I just shake my head at the handful here who relentlessly attack anyone even related to the OWS movement in a passing way. It's easy to tear down and ridicule. That takes nothing. It's not nearly as easy to stand a protest, particularly when that is a 24/7 one in conditions far from the comfy bed in one's own home.

Are some of them homeless or fugitives hiding in the camps? Sure...Some are. However, the cops would have stomped this into mush within a week if that category accounted for numbers even approaching 50% of those in the Occupy camps.

Sorry to hear about Sydney. Hang in down under...You're in our thoughts and prayers up here. Solidarity! ! !

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I am not saying it is right to attack people who are peacefully trying to protest., but OWS is like a group of animal rights activists standing in the way of a bulldozer that is put into gear with no one driving it. They are going to get rolled over and that will be that. As in the case of the U.S., governments will just inact laws like the Patriot Act, where the government can detain people suspected of terrorism without due process and their rights to habeus corpus suspended until the tyrant in power decides to let them loose (if ever). it wouldn't matter if you were just minding your own business taking a piss in the bushes, if you get branded a terrorist just because someone fabricated some bullsh*t information, they can do whatever they want to you and everyone else will believe them even if they are lying out of their asses. We know this because it happens here in the U.S. quite often.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

Here in the US we view aussies and brits as a subspecies. Like monkeys that couldnt evolve into apes and then men. Its a general pulse and feeling here. I think it stems from wanting to be subjects and not free men.

I doubt very much that is the majority view in the US..

Spread your crap somewhere else please..

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I am not saying it is right to attack people who are peacefully trying to protest., but OWS is like a group of animal rights activists standing in the way of a bulldozer that is put into gear with no one driving it. They are going to get rolled over and that will be that. As in the case of the U.S., governments will just inact laws like the Patriot Act, where the government can detain people suspected of terrorism without due process and their rights to habeus corpus suspended until the tyrant in power decides to let them loose (if ever). it wouldn't matter if you were just minding your own business taking a piss in the bushes, if you get branded a terrorist just because someone fabricated some bullsh*t information, they can do whatever they want to you and everyone else will believe them even if they are lying out of their asses. We know this because it happens here in the U.S. quite often.

Well, with respect on this, I do disagree.

First, the level of cleanliness and maintenance on the properties the Occupy Movement are holding 24/7 occupations varies dramatically by all accounts and for different reasons. The whole world saw the idiot on the NYPD police unit and I'll be the first to say he should have gone to jail for it, without any further questions. That not only was about as low class a stunt as I can imagine, it hurt the WORLD wide movement given where and how he did that.......At the least, the photo was good enough for people in the camp to know him, and that should have been immediate eviction.

Where I was in St Louis, there were 3 porta johns, serviced every morning, first thing. Trash was held to a bare minimum because all volunteers picked up, constantly. It is a never ending task for a camp of 30-50 people but it had to be done and it gets done there. Other locations I have seen photos and videos for are absolutely atrocious and look like there is either no direction among the people at all, or everyone just gave up on self respect and dignity entirely. That was NOT my personal experience by any stretch.

As far as being steamrolled....That was tried in St Louis on the 3rd or 4th day of Occupy and never tried again....knock on wood. They realized, I believe, arrest wouldn't do anything but INCREASE the numbers that came back, and this wasn't a local issue but a mere extension of a national and global one. Chicago was raided at about 1am this morning, as I watched it live on the streams. Another great overhead view, as it happened. By Chicago standards, they all but rolled out the red carpet and handled them with tender loving care. It was interesting to see for CPD.

Then again, the WORLD is watching...and they're finally understanding that. A real bad move by a protester makes them infamous across the global headlines........but so does a bad move by a cop. It's a fascinating situation to watch develop as this grows so large and so fast that authorities are truly baffled as to how this can be handled without actually feeding the anger and desperation that is supporting the movement to begin with.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Once again an overreaction on the Police's part. But yet we have Australia getting involved in other countries trying to so called spread democracy. Double standards when they are not giving their own citizens the democratic right to protest.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
]Originally posted by Shadowalker

Here in the US we view aussies and brits as a subspecies.

this statement says more about you than it would about any other person.

edit on 23-10-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-10-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join