It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP Clears Hurdle To Drill In Gulf While Oil Spill Liability Laws Remain Unchanged

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

BP Clears Hurdle To Drill In Gulf While Oil Spill Liability Laws Remain Unchanged

www.huffingtonpost.com

WASHINGTON D.C. -- The Obama administration is set to allow BP to resume exploratory drilling in the Gulf of Mexico roughly a year-and-a-half after the company oversaw the largest offshore spill in history -- but without any changes to the laws that hold companies responsible for the economic damages that such spills cause.

Friday's announcement from the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management that BP could proceed with plans to drill four exploratory wells roughly 200 miles from the Louisiana coast was a coda to a summer-long saga that forced the government to confront uncomfortable questions a
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Really?

Of course federal agencies would approve BP to drill four more wells in the gulf. It's not like most of these politicians stand to make alot of money from big oil, and drilling closer to home.

One of the worst environmental disasters in history, which we don't even know the full consequences of yet, and the politicians and corporations responsible, get off scott free!

Hell if anything these companies made money off the whole disaster.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Oh as long as their pockets are being lined. They will allow anything. Screw the environment and the marine life.

You would think they would have learned their lesson by now.

BP are like the rest, profits before anything else.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

You're right and sadly I don't think the lesson will be learned anytime soon.

I mean, most people I know aren't even aware of the horrrible oil disasters in African and South American countries, most caused by western countries oil corporations.

Whole eco systems are allready devestated and yet no one bats an eye. Can't we atleast care, if anything, just for future generations sake?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
What's sad is that we outnumber these corporate giants 100,000 to 1, yet they continue doing whatever they want, whenever they want, while making money screwing us and the environment over.

It seems a bit retarded on our part to keep allowing these things to occur because they have more money than we do. I bet 500-1000 people standing at the shore line with definite intentions to stop any more drilling will put a crimp in their goals.

Sitting on the ground while making peace signs "asking" them to stop sure does work huh?
edit on 22-10-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
BP obviously is exerting control over TPTB: ...we have only 1 alternative:

Only thing we can do is not buy BP products. I doubt we can have any impact on this company or the governments that it controls in any other way.
I stopped using any of their products the instant the spill began. I will waste fuel looking for another gas station simply because I will not use that product.
We have several of these stations in town. They are doing a booming business. What on earth are people thinking?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
BP is known in the oil industry for having extremely lax safety standards. After what they have proven themselves capable of, I would not hire them to mow my lawn.

The fact that they have been allowed anywhere near the Gulf of Mexico, following their latest debacle, proves only one thing. But you knew that already, didn't you?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

agreed

as a warrior no doubt you've heard the saying:
kill the head[s] and the body will die.

and i'm talking about invisible heads

the story of Heracles vs the Hydra comes to mind

the age of the sit-in and civil disobedience is long over

the people are too busy consuming or too jaded, sick, tired, or too concerned with day to day survival to care if peaceful protesters are beaten up by the enforcer class.

if a group of protesters should receive the kent state treatment, will the people get off their lard weighted butts?

one lives in hope,

but i won't hold my breath.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant

it's ok to say it

king oreo
and most of congress are bought and paid for, being psychopaths they don't care about the consequences as they will be dead by then, so to hell with future generations.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant

Well you only have to look back on their history, to see that company does not care about the after effects of a major incident. I knew an individual who worked for BP years ago. He moved to Spain. One of the reasons he moved, out of the area he lived. There were more leaks at the local oil refinery, which is near a large population off over 50 thousand residents. And BP themselves tried to cover it up.

The authorities could nor prove this off course. But he moved to Spain, after vowing he would never go back to that town nor would he work for BP ever again. And he warned others including his friends on how bad BP's health and safety record was.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Money will always trump common sense unfortunately. BP is among the worst...

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

*sighs*....

Every high tide we get here on the beach I live at since the so-called cleanup of the BP oil spill, leaves globs of thick black nodules. Some days when the wind blows off the gulf you still get that wonderful smell of oil. enough to make your eyes water. In the old days before the spill it was wonderful to splash in the clear waters. Enjoy all of natures bounty with the little fish that would tease your ankles, and the little peeper birds that would run along the shoreline in search of there food.
But now even more than year later, the water is always cloudy, there are no small fish, in fact the only thing that seems to not been effected are shark. And we've had an upsurge in there presense. No more little birds running the surf line. In effect no matter what BP or the goverment says the beach is dead. Oh and if you dig down 6" you'll hit a thick layer of oil sand. They just covered it up. They didn't clean it up.

So now your saying BP has gotten the rights to drill again..
*sighs*.......

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Eye of Horus

I know....I live in New Olrleans...and if you go to the marshes, you can still see oil. It makes me sick. There is still oil leaking you know....near or from the Macondo site. You really should see this
video-embed.al.com... Please click on the previous link and watch that video first before the youtube one

edit on 10/26/2011 by StealthyKat because: edit

new topics

top topics

join