It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is your survivalist role model?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Everyone needs a role model, even survival nuts! So which fictional or real person is your survival role model? I'll go first with mine, because he's always prepared and insanely funny!

Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer is a firearms enthusiast and a paranoid, survivalist, right-wing, anti-government, gun nut. He and his former wife, Heather Gummer (played by Reba McEntire), were the first persons in the film series to directly kill a Graboid. He has an "overkill" approach to trouble and takes himself deadly seriously.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Rambo

That scene where he pulls shrapnel out of his side and cleans it with fire!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
My Self. for i know thyself.

this is the key component to survival.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
everyone living in the third world

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
My grandma. She was a tough old broad.

She used to get the best of me until I learned to fake a left. Still & all, she could take a helluva punch.

Sorry: Tom Sawyer!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
John Connor from the Terminator movies...the grown up John at any rate. Yeah, he looks tough...

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Hugh Glass

He was a young trapper who accidentally surprised a mother grizzly, who mauled him and gave him a compound fracture in one leg. His companions on the trek decided he was dead (or by some accounts, would soon be). They took his food, knife and gun, and left him wrapped in a bearskin shroud. They fled while digging his grave because of the fear of an immanent indian attack.

Glass, set his own broken leg(!), ate wild food, and built himself a sledge so he could lie on it and crawl(!) back to civilization.

When his leg began to show signs of gangrene, he found maggots in a rotting log. Putting them in the wound, the maggots ate all the dead flesh and killed off the infection.

Glass crawled for dozens of miles through snowstorms and floods, and eventually walked to an indian camp, and made it back to civilization, after a trek of 200 miles (!).

A tough son of a gun.
edit on 21-10-2011 by tovenar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

Oh you must be talking about the first Tremors movie, right? Yeah, those two were hard core survivalists and great characters. That was a fun movie...

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
My Brother, he has not only mad skills and knowledge but a mix of high consciousness, awareness and a heart of gold.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

edit on 21-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Ted Kaczynski other wise known as "THE UNABOMBER"

Most folks dont realize how smart this man really is. and after reading his manifesto it made me think. i do realize he murdered many people for what he believed.

and we all know killing people is wrong, and i know way advocate the death's.

but his manifesto was brilliant. and he was a great survivalist

per wikipedia :
In mid-1969, Kaczynski moved into his parents' small residence in Lombard, Illinois. Two years later, he moved into a remote cabin he built himself just outside Lincoln, Montana where he lived a simple life on very little money, without electricity or running water.[21] Kaczynski worked odd jobs and received financial support from his family, which he used to purchase his land and, without their knowledge, would later use to fund his bombing campaign. In 1978, he worked briefly with his father and brother at a foam-rubber factory,[17] where he was fired by his brother, David, for harassing a female supervisor he had previously dated.
Kaczynski's original goal was to move out to a secluded place and become self-sufficient so that he could live autonomously. He began to teach himself survival skills such as tracking, edible plant identification, and how to construct primitive technologies such as bow drills.[2] However, he quickly realized that it was not possible for him to live that way, as a result of watching the wild land around him get destroyed by development and industry.[2] He performed isolated acts of sabotage initially, targeted at the developments near his cabin. The ultimate catalyst which drove him to begin his campaign of bombings was when he went out for a walk to one of his favorite wild spots, only to find that it had been destroyed and replaced with a road. About this, he said:
The best place, to me, was the largest remnant of this plateau that dates from the tertiary age. It's kind of rolling country, not flat, and when you get to the edge of it you find these ravines that cut very steeply in to cliff-like drop-offs and there was even a waterfall there. It was about a two days hike from my cabin. That was the best spot until the summer of 1983. That summer there were too many people around my cabin so I decided I needed some peace. I went back to the plateau and when I got there I found they had put a road right through the middle of it..." His voice trails off; he pauses, then continues, "You just can't imagine how upset I was. It was from that point on I decided that, rather than trying to acquire further wilderness skills, I would work on getting back at the system. Revenge."
—Ted Kaczynski
edit on 21-10-2011 by InshaAllah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
DUKE WAYNE and the boondock saints

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by InshaAllah
Ted Kaczynski other wise known as "THE UNABOMBER"

Most folks dont realize how smart this man really is. and after reading his manifesto it made me think. i do realize he murdered many people for what he believed.

and we all know killing people is wrong, and i know way advocate the death's.

but his manifesto was brilliant. and he was a great survivalist.

Yeah, the murder part was idiotic and damned useless, but the manifesto was indeed brilliant. Interesting nomination.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

That is simple enough,the answer is former member Daddybare.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Oh, I am trying to remember the name of this guy. I saw a documentary about him. He decided to go out to Alaska, I think it was, and just completely live off the wild. He built his house, using tools that he built and was completely isolated from society aside from a visit from a friend who flew in on a plane once ever 6 months I believe.

I can't think of his name, but if you saw that documentary, you would be saying wow!

There was a thread about him here a while ago. Maybe some one remembers it?

Here I found the thread!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

My idol is Richard Proenneke!

This man is amazing. The video in the thread is just a small segment of the actual documentary, I can send anyone a link to the full documentary, streaming online, if anyone is interested. Just send me a U2U
edit on 21-10-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I still think Burt Gummer tops them all. He's prepared, he's funny, and he always manages to win without resorting to gorilla warfare.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

I only have one role model in this world and that is me. I do not 'follow' others

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Ryan Cawdor from the Deathlands series

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Have any of you guys read the "Foxfire" series of books on turn of the century mountain folks that came out about 1970 and has enjoyed multiple reprintings?

The people in those books are my role models. They came along in the early 1900's and grew up and thrived during the Great Depression and WWII. They made some money when times were good, and lived on nothing when times were bad. They literally made and improvised everything they needed because they could not buy it or it didn't exist.

It is these types of people that are the real survivalist...not the Rambo want-a-be types. The foods they ate, the building materials they built with, the medicines they used, the weather, the signs, the sun and moon, the rivers, the land...were all used to sustain them.

The saying is "We make our own reality."... How true. I have never used an I-Pod, I-Phone, MP3, I still don't have a cell phone... I recently learned to use a digital camera for a mission trip to Mexico...BUT, I can go out into the woods with a rope, a double edge axe, and a froe... and build a simple 10x12 cabin out of pine logs in a long weekend...and if I use my chainsaw and froe... I can have enough shakes to roof it in about a week. My farm and lifestyle is based on my grand parents lifestyle...'cause i like it that way.

When my friends at work visit my farm, they all say it's like going back to their grand parents farm from the 1950s and 1960s... the hog pen is made out of logs. The first goat barn I built is basically a cabin... the barns I built are all out of rough cut boards and clap board siding I salvaged from shipping pallets. Any minute, you expect to see grandma come around the corner in a gingham dress and her apron bunched up carrying an armload of tomatoes or apples.

Basically, when the lights go out and we can't get to town, we go into 1900s mode... fire up the wood cook stove, go out to the barn and get up eggs, go under the house into the root cellar and get potatoes, onions, a cabbage, and some canned tomatoes, go to the smoke house and get some ham, go to the garden and get some greens, draw up some water... and while dinner is cooking... we sit by the fire and clean guns or mend clothes... maybe sip on some homemade wine...

..."and a country boy can survive."

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
No one.. I follow my own path and live life on my terms.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join