It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The best survival bunker/vehicle available in the united states.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I followed a link from ATS recently and was surprised to find in one of the ads, an article about former soviet T-72 tanks being sold on US soil. I looked it over and thought the fact that Americans can purchase Soviet tanks now was really cool, and I looked up the T-72's specs. This thing has everything a real survivalist needs, in a mobile package.

The T-72 has a comprehensive nuclear, biological, and chemical (NBC) protection system. The inside of both hull and turret is lined with a synthetic fabric made of boron compound, meant to reduce the penetrating radiation from neutron bomb explosions. The crew is supplied clean air via an extensive air filter system. A slight over-pressure prevents entry of contamination via bearings and joints. Use of an autoloader for the main gun allows for more efficient forced smoke removal compared to traditional manually-loaded ("pig-loader") tank guns, so NBC isolation of the fighting compartment can, in theory, be maintained indefinitely. Exported T-72s do not have the internal lining that is standard on Russian T-72s, which consists of a layer of synthetic material, containing lead, that provides some degree of protection against the effects of neutron radiation and electromagnetic pulses.

source

The article I read quoted T-72 prices at just under $50,000, the price of a new SUV. I'm not sure if the versions they're selling are export, or domestic Russian surplus, but the radiation and chemical protection is worth a look for the super survivalists. Not the survival nuts. Who said we're crazy? We're not crazy, we're prepared!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

great so you are stuck in a tank for god knows how long after a bomb is dropped...sounds like heaven...

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

You could drive around and run over a bunker or two for more supplies.
Ah the fun you could have with a tank in that situation.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

from janes

fuel tanks - 1000l

range 480km

not to mention :

lack of storage space

noise

lack of accomodation - it has a 3 man crew - with little room to manouver

simple to track

if you insist you need NCB protection - look at a lighter , less obvious vehicle - many wheeled recon vehicles now have NCB kits - and they are desined for crew comfort and storage space / additional passengers

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

It's a tank......that makes it awesome. I want one. I want one with a bumper sticker that reads "An ATS member was here. Yea, we roll like that."

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Yeah, nothing like painting a huge target on yourself by driving around in a tank. A nimble quick 4x4 would be better. I'd take a army diesel full size Blazer over tank.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Metal Head

well know a 50 BMG would do what to your 4x4?
What would it do a T72?.... Scratch the paint!

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
You wouldn't see my 4x4, I'd be somewhere blasting through the woods getting the hell away from anyone with a 50 cal. Hell some gangs probably have RPG's. Tanks are too slow.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

a single tank - unsupported by infantry or other AFVs is distressingly easy to eliminate even with its main gun and MGs operational , take those away - and its a victim awaiting its fate

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

ok name one weapon in the USA that a survivalist would have in there BOB to take on a tank.
Yea we have NGA national guard armory's that might have TOWS like the BGM-71 TOW or the M-220 few know how to use them, out side of mil anyway, laws is the easiest, but the ones you might find after TSHTF would be used. One more thing tell the IRA how to take on a tank they would like to know

edit on 22-10-2011 by bekod because: editting

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Metal Head

The point is, that the Soviet T-72 was intended to be used during a MAD scenario, and is well outfitted for the end of the world. It's already built, it's mobile, and it's not really very expensive compared to another survival vehicle. I'm not sure what condition a surplus tank would be in, but it's definitely worth a look to a serious survivalist that has money to spend.

It has nothing to do with fighting people. A tank would be useful yes, pulling things, running anything over that you want destroyed, intimidation tactics to would be looters.
edit on 22-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
when it comes down to it, man vs tank; Tank will win, yes there are anti tank weapons out there most do not work one the first shot, the ones that do work on the first shot, the common man will not have, only the Mil will.
With that type if you do not have the know how: to use, aim and fire it, it is a death trap!
To you or the ones around you. what is the blow back range of a RPG LAWS or a TOW, can a LAW be reloaded? What are the rounds for the RPG how many times can a TOW be used? I gave you the LAWS answer. GI"S i know you know but pleas, for the sake of a good laugh wait til some answers then speak up. yea the net web is a good search eng but then does it tell you the truth? here is one can a RPG round be used in a TWO launcher
ok back to the use of the T72 as a SUV mobile survival bunker, or MSB. the price is right it has the protection , all terrain, good travail distance Cruising Range (km) 500/ 900 with external tanks for a tank that is, has room for three what more could one ask for... (ok ammo main gun night vision ect ect ect...) not the things you can get at the army navy store
edit on 22-10-2011 by bekod because: added info. and word edit.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

which part of " one tank , unsupported by infantry or other AFVs " dont you understand ?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

irrelevant twaddle - you dont need any aort of ATW to take out one unsupported tank

PS - i dont know how to fire any of the weapons you cite , but i can fire :

carl gustav

MILAN

huntington LAW80

and am confident that if they were in servicable condition [ ready for action ] i could fire LAW72 and RPG , i am confident i could fire TOW too - but ATGWs take training and practice to acheive accuracy - so would be supprised if i hit at any sort of range

as for the danger area - LAW72 and RPG need less than the LAW80 , and TOW needs more than MILAN , so yess - i could calculate a safe firing position

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I think the real questions is, why, in a SHTF scenario would you blow a perfectly good survival shelter up? I would approach the tank with hands in the air, and ask if they needed a crew member in return for shelter.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
t-72s are hunks of # though

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod

ok name one weapon in the USA that a survivalist would have in there BOB to take on a tank.
Yea we have NGA national guard armory's that might have TOWS like the BGM-71 TOW or the M-220 few know how to use them, out side of mil anyway, laws is the easiest, but the ones you might find after TSHTF would be used. One more thing tell the IRA how to take on a tank they would like to know

Your "tank" is demilitarized. Sticking a rifle out any small window would give the occupant a very, very limited line of fire. The tank has to stop as it is a fuel hog. Simply crawl on top with some gasoline. You don't have to penetrate armor using liquid fuel and fire. The occupants have to come out or burn as fuel penetrates any opening. You have full reign if your standing on the tank and the occupants are trapped inside.

Little pig, little pig.....

With a buttoned-up, NBC-protected vehicle, the significant points of entry are the engine air intake, engine exhaust, and gun tube. Think about a loader opening the breech of a main gun with a pint of burning gasoline in the chamber (surprise, leaking down on him), but the engine intake is the bigger target. And a forced draft... hehe
edit on 29-12-2011 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-12-2011 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
A tank could have it uses as an interior survival compartment built within your home, especially if you installed it under a cloak of darkness before you built the house, it could be your bug out room ,you could have a secret entrance that led you to the hatch, then once inside you could lock it down and turn on your surveillance war room and booby trap controls, and if you were raided and you needed a quick escape, you could just fire the badboy up and drive through the house and over your attackers, crushing them to death

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
you would be spending all of your time looking for fuel, and a giant target for any passing aircraft with bombs.

you want a dirtbike, atv, dune buggy, even a nice little car, uses little gas and gets you where you NEED to go.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I like the idea of a tank. Then I remember that I have no idea how to work on one, that there would be no available parts to pillage if it broke down, and that there really is no point. Treads break, you're done son.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join