It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA silent on questions from young school child.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Years ago, as part of a grammar school project, my son's class was encouraged to take NASA up on their open invitation to answer questions from children. His first question some years ago now was: If NASA discovered aliens, would they tell the public. No answer.

Lot's of other kids' questions got answered, but not his. He tried a bunch of times after this, even going up into higher grades, but they would only acknowledge and thank him for his question but they absolutely would not answer it. I intervened, as a good father should, only to get the same silence even after 5 years of asking. We gave up.

For fun, the same son posed a new question to NASA on the same NASA forum last year. Is the International Space Station defenseless? Could someone actually take a shot at it or even take it over? How would the astronauts on board respond. Could they defend themselves?

I thought this was an interesting question. I'd never given it any thought. His effort is about a year old now. NO response. Not even a thank you or anything. So, from a PR standpoint NASA falls flat on its face.

If anyone knows a better contact point at NASA for my son to pose his questions, we would appreciate that. I, as well as he, have been let down in a big way. Why invite questions if this is the best you can do when a grammar school kid comes asking?

Thank you, M.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I am sure NASA has been asked that a lot. They probably dont care about hypothetical questions that are less about the universe and more about 'conspiracy'.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
The space station one is pretty obvious, right? NASA can't reveal the defenses of it. That has to be classified information.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
it's pretty simple isn't it ? they can't win with either answer, it would just stir up a lot of noise and distract them for doing what they are paid to do so they ignore it

with either answer, it just raises more questions, and wastes more time

cuz

at the end of the day, they are going to do what they are going to regardless of what the kids ask

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
I am sure NASA has been asked that a lot. They probably dont care about hypothetical questions that are less about the universe and more about 'conspiracy'.

How come extraterrestrial life is a question "less about the universe"???

The only hypothesis I see, is whether the human species of Earth is the most stupid, blind and numb of the universe, for create mechanisms to keep their own kind in the most absolute ignorance about something that should be so naturally dealt with.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Their silence is answer enough.
I think they have some great minds and toys however their credibility is tainted by their own procedure re informing the public of imminent danger.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Why is it so hard for them to answer such a simple question?
What is the point in trusting NASA if they cant even honestly answer if they would announce it if they found life?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
it may be a simple question, but its also an impertinent question.

your son should have just simplified it and asked "Are NASA a bunch of liars?"

ps - havnt they already found "life" ie bacteria... and did they not reveal that after they found it?

edit on 20-10-2011 by BohemianBrim because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malkuth
Years ago, as part of a grammar school project, my son's class was encouraged to take NASA up on their open invitation to answer questions from children. His first question some years ago now was: If NASA discovered aliens, would they tell the public. No answer.

You dont need to ask, the experiment has already been done.
Back in 1996, based on only plausible possibilities, NASA scientists were falling over each other in an effort to inform the public about alien life found in the Allan Hills 84001 rock from Mars.
They were VERY keen to inform the public.

Edit - NASA also have an exhibit you can visit, all about alien life.
Aliens Among Us?

And if he's so desperate to get an answer to the question, why did it take him YEARS to fail?
Took me only a few MINUTES to get an answer...

If and when life is discovered will NASA alert the public?
Yes, of course we would inform the public! Why not? So far NASA scientists have not found evidence of life anywhere outside Earth, but finding such life is the primary goal of astrobiologists. This would be perhaps the greatest scientific discovery of all time, and we would want to share...

astrobiology.nasa.gov
edit on 20-10-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by BohemianBrim
it may be a simple question, but its also an impertinent question.

your son should have just simplified it and asked "Are NASA a bunch of liars?"

Why would it be?? Even the people behind the SETI project has openly stated that they would have to go through proper channels and get permission before you could announce such a thing.
If they cant answer such a simple question then they are probably hiding that fact.

And funny how NASA has no problems providing answers to those really far fetched conspiracies, while they cant even answer this one honestly.
edit on 20-10-2011 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I had to read the thread to discern the question, but as I already know, NASA wont answer questions from scientist, the public or anyone that actually poses a real question.

It is humorous in a benign type of way, but the main reason I wanted to add some additional discussion is because it is specifically about NASA and their consistent stance on not answering, commenting or discussing certain questions that might actually answer some concerns for the public.

First, I would ask why do they black out certain portions of the sky map in certain constellations? What's up with that? What has national security got to do with anything that would keep NASA from not showing and blacking out an area in space? Could it be some type of imminent doom, solar flare, super nova or could it be alien invasion craft that would be distinguishable if NASA did not alter it out of the pictures and video feeds?

Secondly, I would ask why do they shut down NASA telescopes at critical periods if not to keep the public from seeing what is going on? Oh yeah, I would love to hear someone ask them that one.

Third, I would ask why is there so much digital erasure and digital alteration going on? I would love to hear that reply if you actually showed or presented the NASA rep with the mountain of public open source intelligence and evidence that exists that shows that NASA alters images, prevents telescope observation and calls UFO's ice crystals. They then act like they don't know what you' re talking about.

Anyway it does puzzle me why someone doesn't really ask the tough questions of NASA unless NASA has gone the way of big government and tells you what they want you to know even if you can discern its a lie and with so much pride in never answering anyone's questions, I ponder at times why in the world do we pay these idiots if not for some federal bureaucracy that has contributed to their bloated egos, their bloated budgets and their bloated paychecks and their politicized responses to questions from the public.

NASA is an embarrassment and an intentional impediment to truth, knowledge and actual facts. If you cant tell the truth and can be honest with the public, then it should be a crime to report otherwise. Lying has to stop.

While I wish we could hold these vermin accountable for their dereliction and willful deceit, I know that any politicized department has the protection of the executive and just like the executive branch, no one wants to accept any accountability and no one in NASA wants to tell the truth in honest talk to the public.

Oh well, decent thread to get you thinking if indeed you do any thinking, but as things go NASA is just another brick on the wall put in place not to inform, but to misinform while acting like you're too stupid to know better.

Thanks again for the thread.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaxBlack
First, I would ask why do they black out certain portions of the sky map in certain constellations? What's up with that? What has national security got to do with anything that would keep NASA from not showing and blacking out an area in space?

They dont.
Every example that has been brought up here on ATS has been an example of poor digital stitching done by *GOOGLE EARTH*, with NASA not being involved at all.

You've made the allegation. Now back it up, without reference to google earth, (which is a really crappy sky map in any case, no astronomer would use it).

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malkuth
His first question some years ago now was: If NASA discovered aliens, would they tell the public. No answer.

These are men and women with multiple degrees, and they did not take classes on "aliens and UFOs" nor are such things mentioned in their job descriptions. It is not what they do.

Is the International Space Station defenseless? Could someone actually take a shot at it or even take it over? How would the astronauts on board respond. Could they defend themselves?

Same as above. It does not touch on the reality of what NASA does.

The question from a child might be understandable, as would, "Can you see Santa's house when you orbit over the North Pole?" It is a cute question, but it is not NASAs job to disillusion your child. The adage, "If you want to stop being disillusioned, stop exercising in delusions," comes to mind.

But how do you smile at the naivete, and pat a child on the back, and gently whisper the disillusioning reply in a written form?

Maybe that is Dad's job, but it isn't NASA's.

NASA won't say it, but I will:

Maybe Dad believes NASA needs to be able to defend the ISS from alien invasion; but more important is that Dad needs to believe in instilling critical thinking in his son-- not foster a blur between fact and fantasy.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Malkuth

I think it's wonderful that your son asked those questions. We all wish NASA was an independent science organization who truly was honest with their findings for the betterment of mankind. However, NASA is subservient to the Department of Defense and after fifty some years we have unfortunately learned that what is good for mankind and what is good for the Department of Defense are two entirely different things. How I wish that wasn't the case...

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
NASA is just conservative about it. With these kinds of questions, it's better not to offer anything because you just rouse the bees from their nest. Nasa deals in hard facts. And I mean HARD. HARD. Want proof that they do? Then google Gilbert Levin and go here:
spaceflightnow.com ...

Like someone else said, NASA doesn't deal in hypotheticals.

We will eventually know about ET if ET is out there, but only after it's a HARD fact.

PS: In fact, go here and scroll down to his publications list: gillevin.com...
edit on 20-10-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Thank you, one and all, for your responses. There were a couple of honest surprises in your posts. A few people seemed unable to hone in the point of my question very well. What a shame. Anyway, the thing that bothers me most is that for the program in question - clearly a PR-based effort- it would be understood going in there would be the possibility of questions being raised that would not necessarily be easy to answer. But silence, or silence after what amounts to a thank you for posing the question is not what anyone should ever regard as a PR coup. Even simply deferring the question to a possibly more appropriate entity should have not been rendered 'unthinkable'.

If my son has gotten anything from the experience it would be that he is just part of the next generation of Americans who will be forced to pay for a civilian program from which they can not expect their reasonable questions to be dignified by an intelligent or thoughtful response.I would say this is an honest assessment.

I understand that there are people there with multiple degrees and that their training may not be in handling those issues. Those are not the folks you put in the PR line of fire. You put those people in there who have expertise dealing with the public or you hire a firm of professionals to do it. Now, if you can't even manage to set this up appropriately from the get go, then I say there is no good message that comes from this.

As for critical thinking, rest assured there were discussions about these questions before they got fired off. The class talked about the questions of the students, I talked over the questions with my son in advance. There were not just fired off willy-nilly and consideration was given as to what sorts of answers might be expected.

I have very often defended NASA for the great, great work it has done..because they have. Credit where credit is due.I also know that many a good scientist has left NASA because they cannot stand to attempt to do serious research where they are expected to do it with one hand tied behind their backs and to have waffling support when a find become controversial. In this simple PR matter, they have failed miserably by any measure.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Let's not forget that NASA is a Department of Defense Agency.

That alone might give you an indication of what the PR effort is all about.

NASA is also one of the prime teats of the government, upon which corporations latch to extract every possible benefit (profit or otherwise) that they can.

What aren't classified as defense-related secrets are otherwise categorized as trade secrets.... again - more reason to continue the stranglehold on any information that can be even remotely excused as 'privileged.'

Ever hear the often tritely employed phrase "Knowledge is power?" You may as well accept that holding on to it serves their purposes and will be even more tightly held as the dollars ebb away from the agency....

As for the alien microbial life story... they are still fighting about it's legitimacy. The answer was eagerly provided because it was debatable. Debate = attention, and attention leads to funding ....

Your son's question was pure... they can never answer that kind of question. Had it come from a UFOlogist or a CT'er they would have... and the answer would have been steeped in the usual memes, bias, misinformation, and misdirection ... but a simple "yes" or "no" answer?.... that is beyond those who construct lies for commercial and political expedience.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Well the answer to the first question is almost certainly yes given the number of times they announce new data that provides for the possibility of extraterrestrial life. YEveryone knows NASA are actively looking for aliens and for new ways of finding them. It's one of their main missions.

The answer to the second question is probably no - who or what (apart from a Bond villian) would attack the ISS? I believe it does however carry an anti-mutant space goat distraction flare (MkIIb)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

hypothetical questions

less about the universe

more about 'conspiracy'.

Really?

Why is the sky blue?
What are the sparkely things in the sky at night?

Are they more of the type you are looking for?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Okay they are arrogant, full of themselves.... My cousin married a guy who interned at NASA while at MIT or after MIT. He had a complete full scholarship for graduate school at MIT. He says nothing about what he does as a career now. He works for a private firm. Makes a hobbie out of church activites. The Christmas form letter is a brag sheet like nothing else. They care nothing about what the relatives are doing or thinking. Just plain weird people. Think they know it all...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join