It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sniper Rifles: Top 10

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45
As a home owner, all your weapons are over kill. As someone trying to over throw the government, you will definitely not succeed.

I really hate these over testosterone posts. The horrible thing about weapons in the household is that the statistics are overwhelmingly accurate...........it will cost a life in your household.

I don't advocate getting rid of your weapons. That is your right. I stand by that. However, if your a good shot, a pellet gun or sling shot will disable an assailant. Place your weapons in a secured area.

Ughh...too much testosterone.

Ok, let's do this your way.

Have you read the rules of this forum?

This is a place to discuss weapons and tactics, not a place to discuss whether you agree with having them in the home or not. Or discussing whether a OP has too much testosterone.

Please review this as they are, in fact, the official rules of this forum:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

So let's review:

is this a discussion about the Top Ten sniper rifles as presented by the OP or is this a discussion about the OP and your distaste of guns in the home?
edit on 19-10-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

You quoted a benign part of what my point was............

"You don't come online into an environment like this (where they have your personal information) and tell them what you have. Keep quiet. No one needs to know your provisions. Weather it be weapons, food or water.

Stay quiet is all I'm saying. You already have a grasp on weaponry. Do you really need anyone to quantify your beliefs? I think not. You seem smarter than that.

My military background say's shut the heck up.

Edited: Yes I have my dogs to. However, they can be maced and lured to eat tainted meat."

Now, please tell me you don't understand what I am saying.

Ok, I'm not in a war of words here. I am done. Only had a point. Dismiss it or move on.

Again, I am most appreciative of your service and you are a hero in my mind.

Enough said, have a good night.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

Being passive agressive will get you nowhere...

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

Being passive agressive will get you nowhere...

Ok, I going to take that as a funny "Eyes". Resident psychiatrist! We run into each other quite often. I enjoy your posts and replies. Smart a__. LOL

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Sometimes you gotta laugh!

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
these are so beautiful i almost shed a tear.

it's not the gun, its the guy pulling the trigger.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I browse this site often, and I honestly created an account just to give my two cents on this thread. Being a formerly discharged marine, and having served two combat tours in Iraq, I can tell you that the most popular sniper rifle currently used in theater and honestly the most diverse of any is a Modified M16a4 or M4 sniper rifle variant. Any infantry attached sniper, or SOF sniper will tell you that the most versatile sniper rifle in the field is a variant of one of these two weapons. They are lightweight, extremely accurate with minor modifications, and capable of shooting sub moa with little to no modification outside of barrel length adjustment. Not to mention the ability to transition from a sniper rifle to an assault rifle when SHTF. Once again, just my two cents, but should have definitely made the top 10 list. Also, the Macmillan .50 is much more used nowdays than the Barret. Its lighter, has a much more natural point of aim, lower learning curve, and much less likely to jam being bolt action.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
The ability to hit a taget at vast distances is not down to the hardware that you use alone. There is science involved, this all form part of an expert marksmans training. It is a formidable list of weapons the OP has listed but without the right guy behind it it may aswell be a BB gun.
Projectile selection, wind, temperature, weather and coriolis effect to name but a few.
None of this is simple stuff and most of the top marksmen have a spotter with them to help with calculations etc
Would be nice if any joe could pick up a rifle and start with extreme range marksmanship but it aint gonna happen without the science behind it.
edit on 19/10/2011 by waveydavey because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by beautyndissonance

Thanks for bring some real-time knowledge and practical knowledge to the thread. And, of course, thank you for your service.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

I'm sure that Corpsman appreciated the help!

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vinterskogen
The Mosin-Nagant has to be regarded in the top 3, purely because it changed the course of WW2. Imagine if the Germans took Stalingrad, they'd have then taken Moscow and you'd then have seen maybe a different outcome in those summer months in 1944.

...We might be speaking German right now if it wasn't for the Mosin-Nagant.

I bought a surplus Mosin-Nagant last year. 7.62X54! Its a cannon! Beautiful rifle. Excellent addition to the list!
edit on 19-10-2011 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I agree with the OPs choice but have to add another element that is not often discussed.

A mortar fire controler in an observation post or with the point section, point platoon. A radio, a map, a compass has the ability to rain 81mm mortars or artilery of every sort with pin point accuracy from miles away anytimeanyplace anywhere!

As a former sniper and MFC I have to say that an 81mm wins the arguement lol

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

Mosin Nagant, Yea she's over 100 years old but its just as good as the other rifles. But only cost $75-$150. the 7.62x54 is nothing to laugh at.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I bought a surplus Mosin-Nagant last year. 7.62X54! Its a cannon! Beautiful rifle. Excellent addition to the list!
edit on 19-10-2011 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

The Mosin-Nagant is a great shooter to own. It would be a good idea to have the head space checked. I checked mine some years ago just to be safe. It is a good idea for all Mosins Model 1891, 91/30 or the M44 to be checked. Also Enfields, Springfields, any of these rifles that have maybe seen action, remember they now have some years on them, so take care of them and yourself at the same time..

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
No M14 on the list?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45
As a home owner, all your weapons are over kill. As someone trying to over throw the government, you will definitely not succeed.

I really hate these over testosterone posts. The horrible thing about weapons in the household is that the statistics are overwhelmingly accurate...........it will cost a life in your household.

I don't advocate getting rid of your weapons. That is your right. I stand by that. However, if your a good shot, a pellet gun or sling shot will disable an assailant. Place your weapons in a secured area.

Ughh...too much testosterone.

Well I don't have to "succeed" as you put it.

If even ONE crazy future politician says "Wait; we can't just march in there and round up those "constitutionalists"( or "Jews";"conservatives";"patriots" pick your stereotype) they have guns!

I have succeeded beyond my wildest dreams(and not a single shot was fired!)..

Continuing:

Well: life's not a video game; now is it;
Technically I can kill a deer with a tennis racket if I hit him just right too; in the real world dropping that "pellet gun" pellet into the eye socket of a dodging; hiding target (especially one ) that is shooting back at you is never really possible. Hence the call for "serious hardware" tools; not toys.

Typical internet armchair argument: I've lived with plenty of guns and around people with plenty of guns my entire life: never seen one gunshot victim.Never fired my guns in anger only drew my service issued "pdw" (personal defense weapon) once.

Keep your "statistics" close at hand to keep you warm and safe (when things go"bump" in the night):
(Personally my money's on my: .45/.303/7.62x39 semi-auto/12ga(s) & the.22(s)...)

Additionally: I don't appreciate your "do gooder-feel good" attempt to "protect"me from myself".

failed antigun rant.
edit on 19-10-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Cheytac408 should be over the Accuracy International imo. better ballistics, range, lethality. and def over the barrett.

But here's one that should be up on the list for its versatility. Desert Tactical Arms SRS
DTA SRS

Bullpup rifle, half-moa accurate, exchangeable calibers from 243 to 338
DTA SRS-defense review

or the DTA Hard Target Interdiction, which can handle 50bmg, 408cheytac, 375cheytac, 416 barrett
DTA HTI

half moa accuracy at 1.5miles is amazing, butin my case, the shooter remains the weakest link in the package.
edit on 19-10-2011 by greygary because: formatting

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally
Sniper Rifles are the scariest of guns. A sniper can kill someone, and be so totally removed from the person he kills that it feels like nothing. Theres no interaction; just a pull of the trigger which hits a target many meters away...

Thats a typical (dishonest)armchair video game analysis: Sniper and Spotters biographies would disagree;

they very much see the faces of the people/targets they kill/("reduce"). Perhaps not( the shooter); as the rifle is in full recoil; but long distance shots take time to arrive.

I don't believe any man kills and "feels nothing"except a pure diagnosable "psychopath".

And those don't last very long in the military.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911
reply to post by ScottishBiker420

I'm a big fan of Chuck Norris and .50 caliber weapons as well my friend!

I know that record sniper shot in Afghanistan over 1.5 miles was with a British L115A3. Oddly enough, it was the No.1 rifle on the list. It was a Canadian who fired that shot. [/quote

It wasn't a Canadian it was a British Soldier. Here's the article:-

www.nypost.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

lmao the yanks always have to try and be involved somewhwere .
all bow to the master race

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join