It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A ``Wasted`` Vote vs. Voting For The ``Lesser Evil`` vs. ``Not Voting At All``

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
What in your opinion is the best approach and why

The most negative sounds like a Wasted vote and not voting at all
But a wasted voted usually means voting with principle and who you really agree with

The lesser evil is just usually a partisan vote, a vote for the party and not the individual which to me seems like the real ``wasted`` vote!

And not voting at all, in some ways is wrong, but sometimes there are no options
There`s always independent but sometimes even with 3rd party there isn`t really much to chose from

I think that voting for what you believe in is the most important, and if more people thought this way the country would be way better than it is now.
But people call that wasted

Thoughts ATS

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I dont know if i will vote this time around. Even IF Ron Paul gets the nomination.

I have lost faith in our electoral process.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Voting is a trick.

It is a way to get you to consent to be ruled by someone else.

If you do not vote, then back it up by not being part of the system.

If you do vote, well you can't complain about your bondage.

Ooohhh tough decisions to be made very soon.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Thanks for the topic OP. People need to quit buying into the left right paradigm. The only choice we have in U.S. politics, is the choice between two puppets from the same criminal cabal. The problems the nation, and the world, is experiencing is caused by the same powers. Don't you see the pattern here? Every four years it's the same conversation/bitching/debating about how the current president sucks and lied and did the exact opposite of what he promised during his election campaign. And yet here we are again, almost four years after Obama was to be the hope of America, arguing about the same ol' stuff. Stop and think for a second, in your entire life has any single president done what he said he was going to do? No, other than maybe a few trivial things from time to time to keep the sheep happy. Throwing the masses a bone, if you will. Wake up people it's a joke and the sooner you realize this the better off we will all be.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I voted for the "lesser evil" in Obama last time. That backfired miserably. This year, I will "waste" my vote on Ron Paul at all costs. If he doesn't win the nomination, I will write him in. He is the only logical choice at this moment. Unless folks want to right in GetReadyAlready.

"Not voting" is not an option, unless you have some better plan for taking over the government, or unless you plan to give up your right to any and all opinions when SHTF. We must vote. It is either vote or revolt in my eyes. So, I plan to vote my conscious and prepare for the ultimate disappointment and subsequent fall of the City upon a Hill.
edit on 18-10-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by shroom

I agree with all the above replies. I've believed for a long time what carlin talked about before I knew anything about anything;

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Seems to me that Apathy is worse than who we vote in everyone is give the choice to be a part of the system instead they sit there and complain my vote isn't going to change anything and many people jump on that bandwagon if your not a part of the solution then your part of the problem.

People should vote too many people in this nation have paid the ultimate price in blood,sweat,tears and hard work.

Vote! if not stop complaining about a system that you hepled create.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Seems to me that Apathy is worse than who we vote in everyone is give the choice to be a part of the system instead they sit there and complain my vote isn't going to change anything and many people jump on that bandwagon if your not a part of the solution then your part of the problem.

People should vote too many people in this nation have paid the ultimate price in blood,sweat,tears and hard work.

Vote! if not stop complaining about a system that you hepled create.

We find common ground here neo96.

But in the back of my mind, as I step into the voting booth, a little voice alway says "STOP, don't encourage them"

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
the lesser evil...well in politics your never going to find a candidate that reflects your own values 100% so you need to consider what each candidate stands for to you, and decide which one most closely matches your stance on issues that you find meaningful and significant.

an example, i am an independent. social issues, i am liberal nearly across the board. on fiscal issues i am very conservative, in the traditional sense. so i look to the issues that are most pressing in our nation, in my opinion. then i pick the candidate that most closely matches my own views on how to fix the issues.

i am so far standing behind Ron Paul. I hate his social platform, his fiscal platform though looks pretty solid. i am willing to forgo my social issues that i feel need attention because of the mess this counrty is in. We need someone with the fiscal cajones to fix this mess, first and formost.

the only wasted vote is the one not cast. even if in vain , attempting to be a part of fixing the problem is still action that is laudable. doing nothing seldom results in positive outcomes.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deafseeingeyedog
I dont know if i will vote this time around. Even IF Ron Paul gets the nomination.

I have lost faith in our electoral process.

Unless you are an elector, your vote is best served in the primaries. Seems much of the People fail to understand how the president of the United States is elected.

Your vote on election day, as part of the popular vote is a media and political gimmick. Being only engaged in the election process on the Tuesday after the first Monday of November is failing your/our responsibilities in self-governance.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil.

Voting is the very least a person can do in the ever present and always necessary vigilance for freedom. Voting is not the end all and be all of participatory government. It has been said that that government that governs best, governs least. In order for such a maxim to hold any truth the People themselves have to be in a stable state of self governing. Self government requires much, much, more than voting for "leaders".

Keeping watch over the watchmen requires more than just voting. What good does it do to vote for some one who will appoint a new committee of watchmen to oversee the watchmen currently watching the watchmen?

It is We the People, individually, who must step up, go beyond the sacred rituals of a laity. Stand in your lines if you must, and enter your sacred little curtain covered booths to make your pact with the gods of election, it is your right to exercise this religion, but once you have finished with your religious mysticism of ritualistic voting rites, be heroic and confront the many faces of tyranny when you see it. It is often not expedient to do so, but to not do so only accelerates the moment when it is no longer expedient to acquiesce to tyranny.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I'll let change start with me. I believe I may vote for Ron Paul in the primary. Others may vote for someone else and polls may indicate my vote is pointless but what if everyone thought so but they were wrong? Ron Paul winning the primary in a single early voting state would be huge.

Ron Paul understands our debt needs to get under control and economic growth needs to improve. I believe some of the candidates don't understand one of the biggest threats we face is our huge debt which could become economic suicide as Ron Paul says. I agree with Ron.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I refused to vote last time as I could not in clear conscience vote for either candidate.

I have one I can vote for this time: Ron Paul.

I am changing from Democrat to Republican to be able to vote in the primary.

~piano

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

None of those are good choices.

If you don't vote but have a strong opinion it doesn't matter, That opinion won't be heard. If you vote for the lesser evil your still voting for one of the official candidates and we know one is gonna wind up winning anyway.

There should be "None of The Above" on the ballot. This will negate the need to vote for the lesser evil. This vote should be counted. If the majority of voters vote none of the above then We The People have spoken and no one wins and we must have another election.

Candidates should NOT be allowed to decide if they will run for office. The People should pick a candidate they think will be best no matter if the person wants the job or not. Lets say 100 people are chosen by the popular vote ( most voted for from all voters just like a big election). Weed out the ones who are willing to do the job. Those are the candidates in the race.

Candidates cannot take one dime to promote their candidacy from private or corporate sector. The US government pays for everything. No big deal because all they will Only be paying for a few things - airtime of equal length they get to state their campaign promises. beliefs and agendas and platforms.

This will be on TV radio and documentation in written form on display at your post office if you want a copy.as well as the Internet. This info will include if they were governors, congressmen or senators etc. their complete voting record on every issue. That's it. No traveling from town to town kissing babies, no corporate sponsored dinners and special events - Nothing to spend corrupt money on. No campaigning at all !!!

Then after word is out, The Election. Each persons vote counts. No electorial college. This is how we should elect our leaders. It is the best most fair honest way to do it without taint of corruption.

(and overhaul voting machines so they cannot be tampered with - perhaps all voting should be recorded on live to internet camera so all people could record and play as oversight committees.)

edit on 18-10-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

top topics

join