It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I get the flu shot?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I have COPD...got my shot already...doin' just fine

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Personally, i'm 18, and i've never gotten it. It's really up to you, but if you're a healthy 18 year old, I don't see why you would need it, if I don't.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I'd say no. I used to be super sick all the time. Every year taking whatever they wanted me to. Every year getting sick. So... college. I moved away, stopped taking ANYTHING, and now (along with a lot of hard work and exercise) I'm not 'going to die'. (Quote from the doctors.)

Do your research, man, aside from the crazy ideas out there, I'm pretty sure they've completely proven them (flu shots) to be useless. Luckily, I think they have only been proven to harmful to little people, preggos and the elderly. So, you're off the hook there, right?'
'

Oh, and no worries about school.
When I got sick it would be for like two weeks or more. Most people only get it 7-10 days. I still graduated with a 3.478. College is not as scary as someone clearly told you. The biggest thing to worry about? Just taking care of yourself and doing your work. Teachers don't really care if you don't show up. BUT- if you do get sick- contact them- A LOT. Make them know who you are. Then, get better and catch up. Seriously, unless you miss half the semester (at which point you should drop and receive incompletes) you will do fine.

And I would post links to places for you to compile information, but I'm sure to be attacked.

(Shhhh... check out NaturalNews. Although some articles sound crazy, he always cites his information with good sources.)

Good luck on your first year!

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
I know a lot of people who do not take medicines for colds and what not. They just let their body take over. Build up their immune systems. They think that all these vaccines and medicines actually make us weak in a way because we don't build up natural immunities.... It does make sense to me in a way....

I guess I'm one of those people. I've only ever had one flu shot and it was the trial study flu shot when it was new, before mass marketed. So it was around 1991. And for about a year was the only time I ever got sick...for a year after getting that first flu vaccine.

Obviously, I've never had one since. Seems pointless to get a shot that actually makes you sick for a year, when my normal immune system does 10 times better without such a shot.

Going 20 years without flu shots my immune system does excellent. To "catch" a flu now means that my immune system fights off any flu within 8-12 hours. I get a fever for 20 minutes, then my immune system puts the fever in check--so no fever for 20 minutes. Then a fever for 20 minutes--then no fever for 40 minutes. Then fever for 20 minutes--then no fever for 1 1/2 hours. I usually just take a nap and wake up and my immune system has fought off the flu strain during the nap.

I also have no need for aspirin (never purchased), no need for Tylenol (haven't purchased since around 1992), no need for Advil, nor Alleve, nor the little orange pill like the others. The last time I bought Ibuprofen was when my impacted wisdom teeth were coming in...so...2003. Cramps...a nice hot cup of Chamomile tea works wonders. No need to pop a pill.

If you can build up your own immune system without shots..DO IT! You'll be glad you did later in life!

Oh and two people said on the previous page to only get the flu shot if you have asthma. Nonsense! I've had asthma since the age of 4 and I've refused flu vaccines for 20 years.

Building up my own immune system without shots means that my immune system (with asthma) fights off a flu strain in 8-12 hours. Even that 2009 H1N1 strain was a mere 10-12 hour flu for me. I simply took a nap. Woke up and my immune system fought it off.
edit on 26-10-2011 by MapMistress because: added sentence

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Well, since college education is the next bubble to burst, id say you wont get a job outta college anyway. So take the chance.

This coming from a michigan grad....go blue!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join