It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Branson opens world's first 'spaceport' in U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Branson opens world's first 'spaceport' in U.S.

www.rawstory.com

British billionaire Richard Branson opened the world’s first-ever commercial spaceport in the New Mexico desert, the new home for his company, Virgin Galactic.

The eccentric businessman, with usual flair, sported a black jacket and waves of hair flying as he inaugurated the building by breaking a champagne bottle against a hanger building, while rappelling down the side of it.

“Spaceport America,” as the site is called, will serve “as the operating hub for Virgin Galactic and is expected to house up to two WhiteKnightTwos and five SpaceShipTwos, in addition to all of Virgin�
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This new Branson venture is only a few miles from my home.
I applaud Branson's entrepreneurial spirit in this new enterprise however I do find it completely decadent to offer spaceflights to the wealthy; but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see commercial applications and government contracts to take up most of the space on the Virgin spacecraft.

Perhaps if I can get access, I'll make a short documentary and post it up on ATS.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
If they were using the technology that's only exclusively available to elite private space projects and/or gov't/military applications, the average citizen could book a trip into space for less than $100 dollars each.
Instead they will be using technology that is hardly cost effective and no where near what human capabilities have discovered, or rediscovered.

Suppress the good stuff and show us the Flintstones technology, I'm quite sick of hearing about it personally.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
This is suborbital only. Orbital spaceflight is an entirely different league.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Kudos to Branson

About time the American Dream of space flight was taken out of only government hands. I'm all for it.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Which is? You cant act like you have proof of some super secret technology without atleast throwing us a bone as to what is.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
And shortly thereafter...

A malfunction during the most recent test flight of the private spacecraft SpaceShipTwo sent the vehicle hurtling out of control until its crew could stabilize the craft for a safe landing.
The issue provided some heart-stopping moments for its airborne crew and ground handlers, but also allowed the vehicle's owner, Virgin Galactic, to showcase the craft's safety features.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Another "First" Spaceport?

I think we are now on the world's 8th or 9th "first" Spaceport.

Kazakhastan, I think, actually had the first. Jacksonville, FL has been boasting the first one for a few years. Last time one of these threads popped up, I researched and found about 6 other spaceports already in existence with FAA certifications.

I'll look and come back and post a link to the other post.

ETA:
Here is a post with links to 3 other posts.

A Different Thread about the New Mexico Port

and another one.
edit on 18-10-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

For there to be a real spaceport; don't they need spacecrafts? What kinds of vehicles do they launch in Jacksonville and Kazakhastan? Could I call my farm in Lubbock a spaceport and get some kind of grant to develop a restaurant and observation deck to watch for incoming hang gliders, or hot air balloons?

edit on 18-10-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen

Which is? You cant act like you have proof of some super secret technology without atleast throwing us a bone as to what is.

TR-3Bs for one, that's just one technology I've seen and taken pics of myself. Some pilot must have got in a lot of trouble for flying so low over the highway in April 2009 when I saw it.
Silent triangular craft with a plasma ball lightning in the center, went from a bright dot in the sky to over my car at 200-300FT inside 30 seconds.

I'm sick of hearing about anything LESS than that stuff being perpetrated as "cutting edge technology", they are liars, hoarders, and drunk on the power they have over us by holding back these technologies from the people.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Richard Branson could have founded that company in the UK, thereby providing thousands of British people with work in all aspects of the business. He could have based it in the UK, from one of our many ex-RAF airfields, which would also provide work to many British people in the construction industry. The company that makes the craft was also founded by Branson, which also could have been based in the UK, providing many jobs for engineering graduates, technicians and ultimately money into our economy. Since Mr Branson declined to support his own country and its population, I now withdraw my support for his brand portfolio. I will no longer make use of, purchase, sign any contract with or otherwise make financial payments to the Virgin Group and its affiliates, and those companies affiliated to Richard Branson.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Good question. I am skeptical of the whole space tourism thing, but it does seem Virgin Galactic is the only game in town with actual working vehicles so far. One of then links earlier said the Nova Scotia plans included space craft, but no details were included.

My brother launched a balloon with camera equipment as part of a college project, and it reached at least 120,000 feet with good film, and the film had to be sent to NASA and the DoD, and when he got it back the majority of it was erased. Only about 7 useable minutes out of 25+.

So, if they won't allow an amateur balloon with low res spinning camera, then what are the chances they will allow routine spaceflights in high-tech privately built vehicles?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
If they were using the technology that's only exclusively available to elite private space projects and/or gov't/military applications, the average citizen could book a trip into space for less than $100 dollars each.
Instead they will be using technology that is hardly cost effective and no where near what human capabilities have discovered, or rediscovered.

Suppress the good stuff and show us the Flintstones technology, I'm quite sick of hearing about it personally.

I feel similarly.

And, quite outraged on occasion about the Shuttle crews who died for no good reason . . . for a charade.

It will be interesting to see how the guilty are dealt with over time.

People really do reap what they sow.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pregnant
Richard Branson could have founded that company in the UK, thereby providing thousands of British people with work in all aspects of the business. He could have based it in the UK, from one of our many ex-RAF airfields, which would also provide work to many British people in the construction industry. The company that makes the craft was also founded by Branson, which also could have been based in the UK, providing many jobs for engineering graduates, technicians and ultimately money into our economy. Since Mr Branson declined to support his own country and its population, I now withdraw my support for his brand portfolio. I will no longer make use of, purchase, sign any contract with or otherwise make financial payments to the Virgin Group and its affiliates, and those companies affiliated to Richard Branson.

You raise a good point and one that I would stand behind you on. That being said, Branson is a business-man and he knows that the market for such is virtually non-existent in the UK as opposed to here in the states. That's my take anyway. Cheers!

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

My brother launched a balloon with camera equipment as part of a college project, and it reached at least 120,000 feet with good film, and the film had to be sent to NASA and the DoD, and when he got it back the majority of it was erased. Only about 7 useable minutes out of 25+.

Why did his film have to be sent to them, and better yet, how did they even know about it, and your brother's information? Are you saying if I sent up my digital camera attached to a balloon and it reaches 120k feet or more, I will have to surrender it to these alphabet agencies??

Did that apply to this father & son team that did the same? If it did it's news to me.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I suppose we should be thankful for the income into the State.

And we are.

However, please stay away, folks. NM has enough people already! LOL.

We certainly have more than enough clueless liberals throwing good money after bad.

Branson is a pretty sharp cookie. He'll probably end up figuring out a way to make money out of this expensive hobby.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

His was part of a college/NASA program, and maybe it was just the college being extra cautious. It didn't seem like a big deal at the time, but when it came back 75% erased, that is when it became a big deal to him.

I don't suppose there is anything stopping an amateur from doing it, but if it exposes any items of national security, it will undoubtedly be seized and/or erased.

My point was that if they are that restrictive of the things they know about, then they are surely watching and regulating this private space stuff very, very carefully. They have no-fly zones on the moon now, LOL!

top topics

join