It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can't people understand that there is no such thing as race?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

DP
edit on 10/18/2011 by IEtherianSoul9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Although i agree everyone should accept everyone else,

i also agree that we are all the human race..

However, i do feel within the human race there are sub species that show certain character traits or physical abilities that greatly out weigh the other species with the Race.

For example, Although Black, White Asian are seen as the defining races i see a clear distinction in Nordic People (norther Europeans) to those of hispanic or more imporantly mediterainian decent, i think then Middle eastern people are again a diffrent species within the race as are mainland/east asians, then aboriganies from australia certainley have a diffrent physical appearance (both male and female) than most other species, northern africans (egypt etc, essentially northern Sahara) are definetley closer to middle eastern than the more southern of africans, there is the native "indians" from the America's that all share a similar physicality and then the most northern natives of russian europe right through to alaska and canada including north pole and mongolia etc. are quite simalr, now i will give you, mid europeans, most white skinned and alot of "mixed race" darker skinned american and europeans would fall under a much more generalised "mongrel" type catagorey than a particularly unique "pedigree" if you will.

I don t think there is anything wrong with this though a dog pack is a dog pack even if its made up of a dobberman, two huskies, a wolf and a yorkshire terrier. to the same level we are certainley one Race comprised of many pedigree's (species) and mongrels...

there is nothing to be ashamed of in this... and i agree we should be proud to be one race

(i delibertly used dogs to summarise how people were wrong, there are diffrent ways to use the term RACE, i think some use it to describe the entire umbarella that is homo sapien and some use it to describe pedigree (or species if you will) but niether of these ways are wrong, just diffrent uses of english.)

I am proud of homo sapiens,
i am proud to be scottish,
i am proud to be British,
I am Proud to be European
i am proud to represent a Pedigree/mongrel of the homo sapien race
i am proud of my brothers and sister from any pedigree too
and
i am proud to be Human.

Just my thoughts though

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by IEtherianSoul9

But are there not differences of race as there are with culture.... Like you get more dark skinned peeps in hot countires and short white peeps in cold places... Black peeps cant swim as well as white and asians have a higher IQ than white.. I mean there are differences and there is nothing wrong with that..
We all have more in common than we have different...

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
If we can´t understand what the OP was trying to point out, we are F..!!

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This thread is silly. There ARE many biological differences between peoples of different races. They may be subtle but there are there, in the genes, in the DNA. Just because you can cause any one of them to grow up as another in a different environment means nothing. They were all classed as homo sapiens back before medical science found and understood the differences. Now you would leave homo sapiens as a parent category and sub categorize all others. Other than saying people belong to different races this sub categorization has not been done and rightfully for science it should be.
edit on 18-10-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenCo
If we can´t understand what the OP was trying to point out, we are F..!!

If the OP can't convey his message directly and fails at understanding the difference between the word "species" and "race", he is F.

Is it too difficult to say "We have more in common than differences, let's stop fighting over who is better. We are the human species. We are one and the same."

No. Instead he tries to argue that there is no such thing as a race. And so he even fails to make any type of valid point.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Whilst we are throwing around "race specific" inventions....here's a list of modern African american inventions. (i realize that some of these in the list repeat.

1) Biscuit Cutter - A.P. Ashbourne
2) Super Soaker - Lonnie Johnson
3) Folding Bed - L.C. Bailey
4) Bicycle Frame - Issac R. Johnson
5) Coin Changer - James A. Bauer
6) Space Shuttle Retrieval Arm - Wm. Harwell
7) Rotary Engine - Andrew J. Beard
8) Airship - J.F.Pickering
9) Radiation Detector - Geo. Carruthers
10) Folding Chair - Purdgy/Sadgwar
11) Peanut Butter - George W. Carver
12) Hand Stamp - W.B. Purvis
13) Paints & Satins - George W. Carver
14) Fountain Pen - W.B. Purvis
15) Printing Press - W.A. Lavallette
16) Car Couple - Andrew J. Beard
17) Envelope Seal - F.W. Leslie
18) Letter Box - G.E. Becket
19) Laser Fuels - Lester Lee
20) Stainless Steel Pads - Alfred Benjamin
21) Pressure Cooker - Maurice W. Lee
22) Refrigerator - J. Standard
23) Toilet - T. Elkins
24) Mop - T.W. Stewart
25) Furniture Caster - David A. Fisher
26) Stairclimbing Wheelchair - Rufus J. Weaver
27) Guitar - Robert Flemming ,Jr
28) Torpedo Discharger - H. Bradberry
29) Window Cleaner - A.L. Lewis
30) Fire Extinguisher - Tom J. Marshal
31) Corn Planter - Henry Blair
32) Lock - W.A. Martin
33) Kitchen Table - H.A. Jackson
34) Galvanic Battery - Granville T. Woods
35) Video Commander - Joseph N. Jackson
36) Electric Raillway System - Granville T. Woods
37) Remote Controllers - Joseph N. Jackson
38) Roller Coaster - Granville T. Woods
39) Sani-Phone -Jerry Johnson
40) Cotton Planter - Henry Blair
41) Shoe Lasting Machine - Jan Matzeliger
42) Ironing Board - Sarah Boone
Lubricators - Elijah McCoy
Horse Bridle Bit - L.F.Brown
Rocket Catapult - Hugh MacDonald
Horse shoe - Oscar E. Brown
Elevator - Alexander Miles
Pacemaker - Otis Boykin
Gas Mask - Garrett Morgan
Guide Missile - Otis Boykin
Traffic Signal - Garrett Morgan
Lawn Mower - John A. Burr
Hair Brush - Lyda Newman
Typewriter - Burridge & Marshman
Heating Furnace - Alice H. Paker
Train Alarm - R.A. Butler
Airship - J.F.Pickering
Radiation Detector - Geo. Carruthers
Folding Chair - Purdgy/Sadgwar
Peanut Butter - George W. Carver
Hand Stamp - W.B. Purvis
Paints & Satins - George W. Carver
Fountain Pen - W.B. Purvis
Lotion & Soaps - George W. Carver
Dust Pan - L.P.Ray
Automatic Fishing Reel - George Cook
Disposable Syringe - Phil Brooks
Pencil Sharpener - john L. Love
Home Security System - Marie Brown
Insect Destroyer Gun - A.C. Richardson
Ice cream Mold - A.L. Cralle
Baby Buggy - W.H. Richardson
Blood Plasma - Dr. Charles Drew
Sugar Refinement - N. Rillieux
Horse Riding Saddle - Wm. D. Davis
Clothes Dryer - G.T. Sampson
Shoe - W.A. Detiz
Celluar Phone - Henry Sampson
Player Piano - Joseph Dickinson
Pressing Comb - Walter Sammons
Arm for Recording Player - Joseph Dickinson
Curtain Rod - S.R. Scottron
Doorstop - O. Dorsey
Lawn Sprinkler - J.W. Smith
Doorknob - O. Dorsey
Automatic Gearshift - R.B. Spikes
Photo Print Wash - Clatonia J. Dorticus
Urinalysis Machine - Dewey Sanderson
Photo Embossing Machine - Clatonia J. Dorticus
Hydraulic Shock Absorber - Ralph Sanderson
Postal Letter Box - P.B. Dowing
Helicopter - Paul E. Williams
Golf Tee - George F. Grant
Fire Escape Ladder - J.B. Winters
Motor - J. Gregory
Telephone Transmitter - Granville T. Woods
Lantern - Michael Harney
Electric Cutoff Switch -Granville T. Woods
Thermo Hair Curlers - Soloman Harper
Relay Instrument - Granville T. Woods
Gas Burner - B.F. Jackson
Telephone System- Granville T. Woods
Air-purification Device - Rufus Stokes
Foot Power Hammer- M. Headen
Umbrella Stand- W.C. Carter
Luggage Carrier- J .W. Butts

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
It is also racist to say things like 'black people have a natural sense of rhythm' or 'Chinese people are admirably hard-working'. Racists always fail to see this.

Well elves have more dexterity then human and dwarfs have more strength.
What's racist about acknowledging perks to a race or people?

What's so racist about saying most black people have more muscle % in their bodies?
What's so racist about saying most asian people are smaller?

Simple global deduction based on experience and knowledge, do you fight the racism within you so much that racism is all you see?

Anti-racists are some of the worst offensive people I've met has contribute only on make the word "racism" linger and thrive like a pest.

Just the title : "Why can't people understand that there is no such thing as race?"
Well now you talk about it, I remember that racism exists!

Most of the racism was started and fulled by the elite to pit the masses against each other. The thing we need to understand is that :

There is such a thing as race but it just doesn't f&$#^ matter.
And that, people can understand.
edit on 18-10-2011 by User8911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
Eugenics had long been DEBUNKED as failed science.

Say that to the elite lol
They probably paid to get theses research done.

Eugenics is not 100% fool proof but I bet in a curve calculation over a long period of time, results would be noticeable and provable.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

But are there not differences of race as there are with culture.... Like you get more dark skinned peeps in hot countires and short white peeps in cold places... Black peeps cant swim as well as white and asians have a higher IQ than white.. I mean there are differences and there is nothing wrong with that..
We all have more in common than we have different...

"Black peeps can't SWIM"

Let's see. Are there a large majority of neighborhood swimming pools in the ghettos of America? Do you think that an African American who watches TV will pick to play basketball or start to participate in swimming classes. I don't think people realize how much environmental circumstances influence people. Why do you think so many South Americans participate in soccer? Because all you need is a ball and something for goal posts, whereas the equipment necessary for, say, hockey is expensive.

Why, if cold inhibits growth, are the Dutch, who a century ago ranked among the shortest people in the world, are now the tallest—a good two to three inches above Americans? Via www.divinecaroline.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Unfortunately because we are categorized by race at birth...simply look at your birth certificate.

AND

Our social security numbers even encode who and what race we are...

Sad but as they say C'est La Vie.

Baby.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

We do have more in common, genetically speaking. Differences spawn from the different environments in which we reside. We are ALL products of our environment.

Obviously the word race does exist, only because we have made the word and put a definition to it to label people for social reasons.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by vjr1113
reply to post by perroloco

asians and westerners have different eyes, does that count?

we are all different and we shouldnt be ashamed of that. most importantly we are all human.

Nope. The eye is not a different shape. The eye lid is.
If an asian man were able to take out his eye and put in on the table next to a caucasian eyeball and they were the same color you would not be able to tell the asian eye from the caucasian eye.
I wonder why dogs dont have this problem. They all look different yet to each other, they are still all dogs. Do you think the Great Dane looks down on the Chihuahua ? The standard poodle on the toy ?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
race is not significant from a biological perspective, I agree with that, but there are some differences that are not purely superficial like skin color, such as vulnerability to certain diseases, so I don't think you can as far as to say it doesn't exist, it just gets waaaay more attention than it deserves

we are ALL homo sapien sapien

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

I saw something on the discovery channel or history about this. They found a bone of a neanderthal in a cave that had enough DNA available to test and the test showed that Homo Sapian and Neanderthall do not share any DNA. Neanderthal died out and Homo Sapian thrived. We are not related to Neanderthal.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by GonzoSinister

However, i do feel within the human race there are sub species that show certain character traits or physical abilities that greatly out weigh the other species with the Race.

Just my thoughts though

no kidding

there are no sub species after sapien sapien

educate yourself

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

He is mixing "breed" with "race". I guess its similar but still they are all dogs. The "Breed" was a forced phenomena. It's important to the dog breeders but not to the dogs themselves.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GonzoSinister
...the human race there are sub species that show certain character traits or physical abilities that greatly out weigh the other species with the Race.

...northern africans (egypt etc, essentially northern Sahara) are definetley closer to middle eastern than the more southern of africans...

Try telling that to a qualified Anthropologist. There are subspecies of Homo sapiens? There was a subspecies of Homo sapiens but they are now extinct!

Homo sapiens idaltu is an extinct subspecies of Homo sapiens that lived almost 160,000 years ago in Pleistocene Africa.[1] Idaltu is from the Saho-Afar word meaning "elder or first born".

Homo = Genus
Homo sapiens = Species

That's IT. How can people be a different species? Differences in skin tone and physical characteristics DOES NOT create a new subspecies.

Also, Africans express the most genetic diversity, more than Europeans or Asians. There has been a large influx of people (especially foreigners) into North Africa via the Levant and southern Europe throughout history. So of course people of Northern Egypt may resemble people from South-West Asia.

Comparative studies of ethnically diverse human populations, particularly in Africa, are important for reconstructing human evolutionary history and for understanding the genetic basis of phenotypic adaptation and complex disease. African populations are characterized by greater levels of genetic diversity, extensive population substructure, and less linkage disequilibrium (LD) among loci compared to non-African populations. Africans also possess a number of genetic adaptations that have evolved in response to diverse climates and diets, as well as exposure to infectious disease.

edit on 10/18/2011 by IEtherianSoul9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Thank you!

Some people commenting on this thread are in serious need of an Anthropology 101 class.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ahmonrarh
Whilst we are throwing around "race specific" inventions....here's a list of modern African american inventions. (i realize that some of these in the list repeat.

I picked a few of these at random.

14) Fountain Pen - W.B. Purvis
Google tells me this patent was supposedly in 1890.
But wikipedia says

The earliest historical record of a reservoir pen dates to the 10th century. In 953,
Starting in the 1850s there was a steadily accelerating stream of fountain pen patents and pens in production.
In the 1880s the era of the mass-produced fountain pen finally began.

so it really doesnt seem that this Purvis guy had anything to do with the invention, at all.

8) Airship - J.F.Pickering
Google tells me this patent was from 1900.
But many airship flights were recorded during the 1800's and as far back as 1785 the english channel was crossed. The idea that the airship was invented in 1900 is totally absurd.

15) Printing Press - W.A. Lavallette
Google tells me this patent was from 1878.
But Gutenberg invented this around 1440.
The idea that the printing press was invented in 1878 is totally absurd.

9) Radiation Detector - Geo. Carruthers
Google tells me this patent was from 1969.
The term "radiation detector" is a bit vague, but in any case detectors for all forms of radiation were well and trully established by then.
The idea that the "radiation detector" was invented in 1969 is totally absurd.

Peanut Butter - George W. Carver
According to wikipedia,

and were mashed to become a pasty substance by the Aztec Native Americans hundreds of years ago.[2] A number of peanut paste products have been used over the centuries...

The claim that Carver invented peanut butter (around 1900) is totally absurd.

Horse Riding Saddle - Wm. D. Davis
According to Google, Davis got this patent in 1896.
But saddles in various forms had been in use for hundreds of years before this.
The claim that the saddle was invented in 1896 is totally absurd.

18) Letter Box - G.E. Becket ...
Postal Letter Box - P.B. Dowing

At least one of those has to be wrong. Becket, 1892 and also Dowing 1891 are both well and truly well after the invention of the letter box. This claim (for either of them) is simply false.

Shoe - W.A. Detiz
So... shoes were invented in April, 1867?!?!?!
Now this is just being rediculous.

Looking through the rest of this list doesnt reveal any truth. It seems that somebody has decided that if a black person got a patent even slightly related to an object, they get the credit for actually inventing that object.
Totally bogus.

Edit - found a website that debunks all of the list.
Its a shame that people have to lie about black inventions.
link

edit on 18-10-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join