It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Euro zone eyes yet another "comprehensive strategy"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
At what point will the EU ask its citizenry what to do? After all, they're not doing a very good job of it on their own.
What really annoys me is how much they make in expenses each time they sit down to talk about the crisis, stuffing themselves on exquisite food, staying in top hotels or luxury apartments (second homes) paid for by the European tax payer, armed with throngs of lawyers, personal assistants, chauffeurs, etc.

"Hopefully next year we won't be talking about Greek debt," Etienne Davignon, 79, a Belgian former European Commissioner and patriarch of the European project, joked in his closing remarks.

"Either it will have gone or we will have gone."

As the journalist points out -

Barring such game-changers, expect the euro zone debt crisis to rumble on and on, if it doesn't explode.

Perhaps this is the week when Germany and France push their central economy/government idea and then the situation will be utterly removed from the citizenry of the various countries in the Eurozone. Or, perhaps, they'll introduce the idea of the two-tier Euro.

Euro zone eyes yet another "comprehensive strategy"

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Aestheteka

Originally posted by Aestheteka
At what point will the EU ask its citizenry what to do?

Most Germans I know strongly oppose the so called "EU Financial Stabilisation Mechanism" or even the concept of a EU-currency as a whole... at least the way it was introduced was highly irresponsible.

Greece for example should've never joined the Euro.
Their budget was never balanced enough to keep the deficit within the limit of 3% of their GDP.
The second the greek deficit fraud was discovered, Greece should have been kicked out.

Recent forecasts say our economy just barely dodged a recession so we're doing okay for now...
If Germany didn't have to bailout other EU-members we would do great and the German "powerhouse" probably could counter the meltdown we're in now a little.

So I guess the EU wont ask us... they don't like what they would hear.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
What I would like to know is what "comprehensive strategy" are they going to come up with THAT will bring any kind of viable resolution apart from inspiring a little short-term confidence to keep the financial markets in upward tick?

The Australian treasurer stated, as per this article and news clip:

"The time for half-measures is over, the time for blame-shifting is over," he said after a meeting of G20 finance ministers in Paris which ended yesterday. "I am encouraged that they have received the message, and we will await the outcome, but as I say the time for action is running out and I think the world will expect a very substantial and comprehensive package of reforms by October 23."

What rabbit are they going to pull out of the hat? Suddenly policy makers will have a concrete strategy to deal with the Eurozone debt crisis after some three years of urinating in the pond? Will be interesting to see what they come up with, and at a time where as the vid points out, Spain is looking to miss its budget and deficit targets, Greece is still in big trouble if not on the brink, Italy also heading down a similar and rapid fate, and many of the other countries showing weakening growth and possible recessions.

new topics

join