It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Helping-Others-Focused Personality Vs. A Mean World (and an OWS opinions advice tip for chatroom)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I live and am most happy when I am helping others. This is usually fine. But lately, as I've joined ATS and taken a probably very unhealthy addiction to the chat room/BTS/Off Topic communities on this forum, I'm starting to realize that helping people through the internet is a bad idea.

I am a creative individual with lots of ideas and goals. My main goal is to help others through my hands. I am an artist, and a student massage therapist.

Obviously, I cannot help internet-related communities and relationships through my massage hands. So, I love doing graphics and graphic design.

Recently I just did a bunch of graphics and forms and certificates for an organization out of NYC that is raising awareness for activities that keep young people off the streets. The CEO was very happy with my work and if I wasn't in full time work and school right now I'd be working more with her.

But I slightly digress, because that's not what I'm upset about. Or was upset about.

I am talking about trying to help a person into the ATS chat room. This person was, contrary to popular belief, fully aware, from my perspective of my actions. Maybe not as clear on my intentions but I was fully available to this person and would have ceased my mission in helping them had they given word of their discomfort or unease. No mention was mentioned. I sally-forth-ed.

I would post pics and transcript of the conversation but that's pointless, as I could be accused then of photoshoping the chat together for my own gains, or whatever. The last thing I want to do is start more trouble, because I don't want this person's name impinged either. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Yes, this person hurt my name by pretending naivete, and reporting me... rather than just saying to me.... "HEY?! WTF, mate? Could you not do that?" or "I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but I'd rather you not." ....

The person said nothing to me in our real-time conversation via Skype instant messaging. So I worked on an icon... The person told me it wasn't half bad and gave me a thumbs up emote. Mind you during this time I wasn't making posts. This person had plenty of opportunity to tell me to stop doing what I was doing.

I was trying to work the account up to 150 posts and then I was going to turn the account over to the person to use to get into chat room. The person knew this. I posted in the Title Section "Temporary Account of

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by rschmfem

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

But that doesn't mean you should stop trying to be helpful. Keep your chin up...it gets worse as you progress through life.

You can't let others get you down.
edit on 14-10-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by rschmfem

Quick thought about your on-the-job situation. You work for a boss who is responsible for what you do and don't do. Bosses don't like to be surprised. Could you go to the boss and say "I notice we're short-handed in the copier room today, mind if I spend half an hour running off copies?" If you get approval first you're a little more protected when things go wrong.

Working with the opposite sex (chat room or on the job) is always a little risky.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Yeah, I see your point. It would be better. But that kind of defeats the point of them initially being simple, little random acts of kindness. I don't plan them, I just go with the flow...

:X

But yes, probably best to make them less random on the job.
Thanks you for your insight

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I like the random, spontaneous acts also. People are strange, though. It seems they rarely understand what the other person is thinking. Misunderstandings pop up frequently.

I've always tried to make my "helps" small and obvious, like holding open a door, until I think that person understands and accepts me.

Or, perhaps, if you're with someone and you're heading out for a vending machine break, you can offer to pick up something for them as well. Maybe bring some inexpensive flowers for the main reception desk some day. I'm sure you can combine your brain and your heart to achieve success.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
I like the random, spontaneous acts also. People are strange, though. It seems they rarely understand what the other person is thinking. Misunderstandings pop up frequently.... I'm sure you can combine your brain and your heart to achieve success.

TY
I appreciate your kind words. I really do.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Sometimes selfless acts can go unappreciated Rsch..So don't feel down about it, or blame yourself.

If you were genuinely were trying to help out..Better to stay positive & not worry about it, coz you tried your best to help out, that's all you can do.

P.S. - I like your Signature

new topics

top topics

join