It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keep track of your weight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I´m starting to work on my body, to lose 15 or 20 pounds (that´s all I´m above my normal weight) and dont to waste any money or time on buying a scale. So that´s it... I need to hear some ideas on how I can keep track of my weight, with unconventional methods.

Keep in my mind I dont necessarily have to know the exact number of pounds lost, but only if the diet and gym is working well.

So far I could only think on taking pictures of my body day after day on the same position and then compare them.

Any other ideas?

P.s: I dont know if this is the correct forum, if not, i´m sorry!
edit on 13-10-2011 by Croatoan2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Water displacement?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I'm not sure if your numerical weight loss goal should be the goal you have in mind. You posted this in the Survival forum. If you're exercising you might lose some fat (physical size) but gain weight (muscle) since muscle weighs more than fat. If you're exercising at all, I'm not sure if you should be worried about the weight # and more the fact that you're getting in shape, whether it be barely or immensely.

I've always had trouble when people want to reach a certain weight. If you're exercising and getting in shape it should not matter at all. You're becoming more prepared, it's good for you, and you're making a change.

I'm not saying that losing weight should not be a goal, necessarily, but I hope you have the right reasons. That being said, good luck all around

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Croatoan2011

They have a health and fitness forum. When trying to change your body, keeping track of inches is often a better measure of results than weight, and it also gets to the real thing you wanna work on, how big certain areas are.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
youll lose more if you dont keep track of every single pound every day.

its one of those psyche out things.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Are you feeling like your weight is part of your survival package? I understand that.

If you want an unconventional method, go buy some inexpensive pants, smaller than you wear, like Levis or something then continue checking to see when you can wear the next size down.

Another way is to belly up to your kitchen counter and mark where your belly rests.

Good luck to you and remember to drink TONS of water.
edit on 13-10-2011 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
What a coincidence, I started a rigorous weight training program and wanted to keep track of physical changes.
I'm currently taking full body pictures from different angels and take measurements of various parts of my body.
Biceps, triceps, stomach, chest, legs.
If you don't want to use a scale, I think this is the best way to keep track of it.
Let me know how it goes! It's good to see someone who's kinda doing the same thing I am.
PM or something.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
You know its a quarter to nine pm here, and I am halfway through a nice plate of pork chops I made on the BBQ, with mash potatoes and peas and a scoop of baked beans for a little flavor on the plate, with a Thai chili sauce out of the bottle because I am out of applesauce, and I was just thinking, if this was the dark ages, or even up to lets say 200 years ago, and this was Friday? I would be hung for not eating fish.

In some places I can't even imagine what would they would do to me for eating pork.

But you know, it tastes sublime.

I'm 10 pounds over weight and it just won't go away and I just can't figure out if its the King Dongs, the Twinkies, the sugar in the coffee, the coffee whitener that I just scoop into the cup, or the pop or what it is.

I get hungry. Even though I am fat. But at least I am not as fat as most people, since I am only 10 ok I am 15 pounds over weight too. It must be a genetic disorder.

If you can find a way to lose that poundage, let me know. I have tried slim fast, meal substitute drink, it didn't help. I tried the snacking approach, where you just keep snacking and keep burning calories. Didn't work.
Gave up drinking beer. Oh yes I am serious about losing weight you have to be to give up drinking beer.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I commend you for your decision and wish you luck.

That said, only girls care about weight. It is a non-issue.

Second, it's cliche but just do it. Forget about charts and graphs and pictures and weights, just get in the gym and work hard.

Lastly, eat healthy when you are hungry. Do not worry about not eating before bed or starving yourself, it is very counterproductive. Instead, always have healthy meals/snacks at hand. If you are hungry, get a craving for pizza or whatever, force feed yourself some healthy stuff and 20 min from that point you will be full and no more craving.

Most importantly, get your mind right. The mind is a powerful tool. When things get rough go into baby steps mode. Like when you don't want to go to the gym, take the baby step of getting in your car.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Are you crazy??

The more weight you have on when SHTF is the longer
you can go without eatinG!!

Counter productive.

If you have the skills you need and the guns
the extra weight will not kill you....

Actually like a bear who stores food for the winter..

A person 150lbs over could easily survive 6 months without eating
if water is available..

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Wow, thanks a lot for the answers!!! I didn´t think I would get as many as I did... thanks

First of all, sorry again for not posting this on the right forum. If it can be moved by someone, feel free to do it.

@idk42: Yes, you are right I wasn´t clear... my goal is just to reduce my little belly lol. To do so, I plan to stop eating some things and ride my bycicle 10 miles a day, while taking every chance I got to walk as much as I can... MAYBE stop drinking beer (just kidding, I almost never drink). Muscles are not my goal.

@Evolutionsend: Nice, what do you think about measure from my back to my navel? That should work, right?

@antar: Thanks for the advices! Yes, my reasoning was to post it here bc I thought I would like to know some tips to check my own health in case of a _______ (who knows what?)

@GmoS719: What are you doing to lose weight?

@soldita: Believe me, I´m not the type of person who is obsesive with the way they look. I just wanna lose some pounds to feel more comfortable with myself. Thanks for the tips! P.s: wish I had a car lol the good side is that today I bought some equipment to exercise at home. I´m as lazy as any other 21 year old boy, so thats important

@popsmayhem: Maybe I want to live more comfortable until this SHTF comes...
edit on 14-10-2011 by Croatoan2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
A scale costs like 10 bucks OP, just buy one....

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
A scale costs like 10 bucks OP, just buy one....

haha I know, money it´s not the problem... I dont know... I just dont feel the need to buy one. Maybe because I dont want to be thinking "oh, I lost 2 pounds, GREAT!" or "I gain 1 pound this week, F*CK". I just want to be something more natural, like comparing myself from today with the one from 2 months later and see the differences with my own eyes.

Maybe I should buy a scale

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Maybe not, just be happy with the body you have, and try to take care of it the best you can.

It's just a shell, it isn't really You...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Maybe not, just be happy with the body you have, and try to take care of it the best you can.

It's just a shell, it isn't really You...

Thanks, I´m trying to do just that. Actualy, this is not a very important part of my life, I was just bored and trying to find some unconventional methods to keep track of my loss of weight. Just for fun

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Replace every can of soft drink with water, drink only water and if you don't lose a stone every six months when doing regular exercise, then you are not drinking only water.

Water.

link   
You could always use a rope to measure how much your losing. Just wrap it around and mark it or you could use a measuring tape which would make things easier for you.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

link   
The thing about a scale is that you aren't always looking to lose weight, but to lose fat. Many people get discouraged because they feel like they are putting forth great effort towards eating better, exercising, and working on overall health...only to have the scale say you haven't lost weight. That wouldn't be a true reflection of your results. You probably did lose some fat weight but you gained in muscle weight.

The answer is to use a ribbon measuring tape, which you can find at a garage sale (old women have them) or at any grocery type store, for about $1.00. I have two, and one is in my bathroom. The last time I was on a scale was at the Drs. Measure around your stomach, hips, arms, or wherever you are looking to make improvements and track it that way.

edit on 10/14/11 by Ameilia because: grammar

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

How do you feel?
That was alwats my true scale, I was a bit over weight when I was younger but I was a big boy.
I did notice when I was out with my friends I could keep up even with the slender ones, no excess breathing Etc.
Nowadays I just feel fat and old, I don't need a scale to tell me that.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
Are you crazy??

The more weight you have on when SHTF is the longer
you can go without eatinG!!

Counter productive.

If you have the skills you need and the guns
the extra weight will not kill you....

Actually like a bear who stores food for the winter..

A person 150lbs over could easily survive 6 months without eating
if water is available..

lol yeah if you want to live in a FEMA camp. if your 150 lbs over what you should be how are you going to bug out with your 30-40lbs bag and walk 15-20miles a day to get to safety?

its not going to happen. youll fall to the ground after 5 miles
edit on 14-10-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join