It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism death toll vs all religions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Amazes me that atheism takes the hi moral ground over religion, any and all religions, not just Christianity.
Christianity is my faith and my perspective is a Christian one.
Its funny how religion is blamed for all the violence and wars and deaths, though lets look at atheism's list of horrors;

Stalins purges kill 61 million conservative figures
democraticpeace.wordpress.com...

Mao Tse Tung Mao's 70 million dead: conservative figures
en.wikipedia.org...:_The_Unknown_Story

Pol Pot Roughly 1.5 million again conservative numbers again
necrometrics.com...

From 1900-1987 over 250 million dead through Atheism's grasp for domination:

This link is the killer
www.hawaii.edu...

Hitler wasnt a Christian, those who say he was are lying lie. He was religious though, he was in to the New Age
www.rense.com...

This thread isnt about how good we are and how bad they are. Its not an Us verses Them thing.
Its a WE thread. Humanity is evil and will corrupt any ideology to drive power and greed.
Stop blaming religion, the facts above show clearly atheism has a much larger death toll and has created many more oppressive states and dictators than religions.

I could link a few sites to deaths caused by religions but I wont, go research it for yourself and see the numbers prove my point.

I am just trying to show that mankind is evil. Religions are evil, no question but not all religions are the same, as obviously not all atheists are the same.
Christianity, Jesus teaches that we are to be a sacrifice to others, both in the way we live and what we do.
Jesus died on a cross to show Christians what he expects from us.
If Jesus leads by example then his death is the example of how Christians should live.
There is nothing that justifies Christian violence, if you think there is, thats because you have been brainwashed by people lying to you, and people calling themselves Christians and not being Christian.

This isnt heaven on Earth. Atheism doesnt hold a moral place and the New Age is the old age tarted up.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
even most of the religious are uncover athiests . But for a good family name they just go with the religious doctrine...

even though their actions poitn the other way. Aslong as you can say hey im christian its good enough lol

majority of the world has been athiest , + the double standard "relgious" people that have killed far more numbers then that

the truly religious people of high morals and ethical principals with solid philosophy are very rare . its less then 1/10th of the whole worlds population since time. Rest athiests , and undercover athiests.

The only reason we have all these deaths is becasue of lack of religion . not because OF religion,.

the hippocrates in religion today help define that evfen deeper (suicide bombers, child molestors , spirtual healers, doctrine twisters etc.)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I don't get it...

Religious folk fall under the same umbrella that they preach - be they Christian or Muslim or whatever. You go to church together, pray at a mosque together or congregate as a group under the belief that you choose.

Athiests dont. We just go meh, when you're dead you're dead.

I in no way follow any of the brutal dictators you mention, yet you lump them as the same group as I.

About the only thing that we have in common is that when we die, that's it.

Pretty silly argument if you ask me.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by boony
I am just trying to show that mankind is evil. Religions are evil, no question but not all religions are the same, as obviously not all atheists are the same.

Importantly, not all atheists are the same.
It's more difficult to find two Atheists that believe the same things outside the frame of Atheism itself than in comparing Christians with Christians, or other groups.

I take offense to you comparing me to other atheists.

For instance, as an atheist, since I feel there is absolutely nothing after death, that makes life so much more precious to me. If I squash that bug, or kill something or someone else, to me that's it, done and did.
Thus, why would I want to take away something so precious as life in anything or anyone if this, regardless of what 'this' is, is it?

Others feel differently, of course. Most atheists define themselves according to their own self made and observed rule set. there's thus more flavors of atheism than there are other religions all together.

Edit: Further, isn't there some internet rule about bringing up a certain former leader of Germany that states whoever brings it up first, loses? or something along those lines?
Edit: Here's link: Godwin's Law

edit on 13-10-2011 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by boony

I am an atheist and I agree with this. People will kill people regardless of religion, the only difference being that these killers will use whatever belief system they have to rationalise why they did it to obsucre any possible society-given guilt.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix

Edit: Further, isn't there some internet rule about bringing up a certain former leader of Germany that states whoever brings it up first, loses? or something along those lines?
Edit: Here's link: Godwin's Law

Yeah, Huh you could be correct there. Godwins theory ay?
But
Could that be because my whole post is talking about despots and dictators? Yah think? Maybe?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by boony

Atheism has killed more than Religion? Wow...not even close. Here's a 'short' list that only covers those killed by Christianity.

(originally I was going to just quote the text but the list is so long that it would take multiple posts just to get the entire thing on here...so please check it out for yourself)

www.truthbeknown.com...

edit on 13-10-2011 by bhornbuckle75 because: No reason....I just like to edit stuff randomly.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
/implying Mao, Stalin, and other madmen's killings were related to atheism in any way.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75
reply to post by boony

Atheism has killed more than Religion? Wow...not even close. Here's a 'short' list that only covers those killed by Christianity.

(originally I was going to just quote the text but the list is so long that it would take multiple posts just to get the entire thing on here...so please check it out for yourself)

www.truthbeknown.com...

edit on 13-10-2011 by bhornbuckle75 because: No reason....I just like to edit stuff randomly.

No numbers listed?
I wonder why. Because none of those atrocity's listed, caused as many deaths as Stalin alone.
Go get the figures, from my quick glance the atheist based communist regimes of this world still have the biggest death tolls and your link is at best vague.
If you are so insistent, get the figures.
Communism is an atheist ideal. Not all atheists are communists but it is an atheist ideal. Communism states God does not exist.
Evolution is a atheist religion that has caused millions of deaths, we can throw them in under religion as well

Bring the argument forward and show the figures.
I will stand corrected if you prove me wrong.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Communism is an atheist ideal. Not all atheists are communists but it is an atheist ideal. Communism states God does not exist.

Atheism is also an Objectivist ideal, and Objectivism goes against everything Communism stands for. Your argument is invalid.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Again?

This has come up in every Atheist subject thread (most started by Christian believers).

Atheist is not a belief - - - therefore nothing can be done in the name of Atheism.

Atheism means one thing. Lack of belief in a god/deity.

Beyond that - - - any belief or non-belief by an Atheist is individual.

It is in no way a group movement because of a single focus belief - - as in religion.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by boony

This thread isnt about how good we are and how bad they are. Its not an Us verses Them thing.
Its a WE thread.

I think that its a bit immature to add a WE in all of this. I do not place myself in the WE of this thread. I feel that I have the right to express that as by implying WE, I have included myself.

I have no reason to try to explain or add myself to people that have committed atrocities in the lives of many. No matter their reasoning for their actions, I have not participated in any way and never will.

The problem may be that "labels" have separated those that lets say.. kill and dont kill, to much.

I for one choose to be who I am, and many here I am sure would like to be remembered, but not as a "WE" of a thread where the concept of separation is those who murder.. and those who dont.
Just my 2 cents.

NRE.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Atheists believe there is no God. That is a belief.
Deny you believe God doesnt exist by all means, deny you are not an atheist. But wouldnt that then make you a theist?
It is also a group movement as attested by the many atheist forums on the net and the atheist conventions in most countrys. Religion

and Nosred your argument is invalid. Communism denies God making it atheistic in principle.
I can use your same argument to separate Christianity from all religions.

Its petty your argument anyway, as I stated in my first post, not all atheists are the same, as all religions are different.
Throwing you in to the same basket as other atheists is stupid, as is the atheist argument all religions should be judged as one.
Thats the point of the thread.
edit on 13-10-2011 by boony because: fun

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Throwing you in to the same basket as other atheists is stupid, as is the atheist argument all religions should be judged as one.
Thats the point of the thread.

I don't throw all of them into the same basket, I judge them each individually on their crimes. Very few religions on Earth don't have blood on their hands.

The three most violent and bloody religions still in existence are Christianity, Islam, and Judaism.

Religion is a dangerous thing. When people believe that they're doing something in the name of their god, they can leave sanity behind at the door.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

NO - it isn't.

I believe in a lot of things. Lack of belief is not a belief.

It is not a dis-belief. You'd have to first acknowledge a belief in god to disbelieve it.

I acknowledge nothing - - there is nothing to disbelieve - - in order for me to believe something else.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

It is also a group movement as attested by the many atheist forums on the net and the atheist conventions in most countrys.

Could you provide links for that?

As far as I know - - the only common movement - - is separation of church and state.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Deny you believe God doesnt exist by all means, deny you are not an atheist. But wouldnt that then make you a theist?
It is also a group movement as attested by the many atheist forums on the net and the atheist conventions in most countrys.

Wow, you could not be more wrong. You really need to do your homework before you make these types of assertions.

Atheism as an organized religion

One of the widest misconceptions, often used as a strong criticism, is that atheism is a religion. However, while there are secular religions, atheism is most commonly defined as "no religion." To expand the definition of "religion" to include atheism would thus destroy any use the word "religion" would have in describing anything. It is quite often pointed out that if atheism is a religion it would be akin to stating that the act of not collecting stamps is a hobby, or that being unemployed is an occupation. Following from this, atheists do not worship Charles Darwin or any other individual. Although some think that atheism requires evolution to be a complete worldview,[6] there is no worship of anything or anyone in atheism, and acceptance of evolution isn't exclusive to atheists - for that matter there is no necessity for an atheist to accept the evidence for evolution. By definition, if atheists worshiped Darwin as a supernatural entity, they wouldn't be atheists. This applies equally to the accusation by fundamentalists that atheists actually worship Satan.

Atheists, as a whole, are not a unified group, so accusation that "atheists" are doing x, y and z hold little water. In fact, a disaffection with organized religion, and the potential for groupthink, is what causes many believers to abandon faith and come out as atheists. It doesn't follow that such individuals would happily join another organised group. Debate within the atheistic community is robust - debates even about whether there is even an "atheistic community" at all, for instance - and the fact that this debate exists presupposes no dogmatic mandate from an organized group. It does follow from this lack of organisation that there is no atheist equivalent of the Bible, Koran, or other holy text. There are, of course, atheist writings, but one does not need to adhere to opinions held by Friedrich Nietzsche, Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens to be considered an atheist. Some atheists will actively oppose what these kind of authors do and say.

Source - Rational Wiki: rationalwiki.org...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I contest all atheists are the same
rationalwiki.org...

Atheists are a religion and they have conventions to cannonise their beliefs
www.atheistconvention.org.au...

The most violent religion is the religion that doesnt believe in a God, and its political wing Communism as the numbers above show.

This is a tail chasing argument based on communism's death tolls. You have no figures to justify your argument so you make stuff up. Religion has not caused as many deaths as atheism.

Atheists have and make a conscious decision not to believe. Thats a fact. You dont ignore, or dont care, or just remain ignorant, you make a decision to not believe. Religion.

As I said show me some figures that prove me wrong and I will even concede evolution is a religion.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

As I said show me some figures that prove me wrong and I will even concede evolution is a religion.

What does evolution have to do with Atheism?

One is science.

The other is lack of belief in a deity.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by boony

You forgot the French Revolution and Napoleon. I agree with you that religion can't be blamed for colonialism and so forth. Atheism can't be blamed for Stalin.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join