It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Showdown looms at New York 'occupy' protests

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
It seems as though the private company that owns the property at which the OWS protesters are camping has decided its time to clean up the area. This has spooked the protestors into thinking they may not be able to return after the cleaning. So they have attempted to take matters into their own hands.

A source told NBC News' Michelle Franzen that protesters were hoping Thursday's cleanup effort would be enough to allow them to stay in the park, but demonstrators were prepared to hold their ground if they were told to leave.

The company said that the protestors would be allowed to return but only if they followed the rules set in place which include:

But the rules ban camping, tents or other structures, lying down on the ground, placing tarps or sleeping bags on the ground and the storage personal property -- everything the protesters have been doing since they set up on September 17.

Is this how the OWS occupation ends? Will Brookfield properties allow them to return with their gear and camp out?

Will the protesters go quietly? IMO, this may be turn out to be the event that either kills OWS....or turns a peaceful demonstration into a violent tragedy.

MSNBC
edit on 13-10-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
The protesters should use this as an opportunity to "Occupy Everywhere". Instead of seeing this as the simple way that the protests may come to an end, I see it as the simple way the protests end in this form.

Tomorrow seems like a wonderful time for each of the protesters to walk into their local bank branch, and end their business relationship. A walk on the banks. Not a run. If the bank refuses you your money, it's a good enough reason in itself to not bank with them. Simply return tomorrow and try again. PEACEFULLY. If everyone did this, it would mean a couple thousand bank accounts closed in one day. This is a nice way to send a little message. You're removing my right to peacefully assemble? I'm removing my money from the system. You've made enough interest off of it anyway.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by danj3ris

That's a great idea, but hasn't there already been a case where people tried to do just that at a Bank of America and were blocked at the door?

Do you think it would be that easy, or would they simply take a bank holiday?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Since this is on private property of which they kindly permitted these protesters to occupy they have every right to make particular rules for the protesters and/or ban them entirely. If the protesters occupied public property they would have to obey city rules and regulations but they would have more sympathy from the people if they were forced to leave tax payer funded grounds whereas being kicked off private property is a decision which should be respected.

If the owner of said private property decides to remove them from his/her property and they rebel it is trespassing which should earn no respect of Americans.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I've heard they are going to clean half the park at a time. So while that occurs all the protestors will go to one side of the park and wait for the area to be cleaned to return to.

These people have set up a mini community, its not going to be as simple as people grabbing a thing or two and leaving the area, its going to be complicated...

There's a mini library, sign making area, food area, media area, etc...

No matter what, it is our right as Americans to assemble peacefully and that cant be stopped. This clean up attempt will not close down these protests.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
according to Occupy Canada / Occupy Toronto it is a Canadian company called Brookfield Asset Management is doing the cleanup of the park, these next few days should be interesting,

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I think this is where the conundrum lies.

On one hand we want to respect the rights of the property owner, yet on the other I think this movement is just as important, if not more.

I am torn between the two, and I agree with another member that said it will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
The best thing is to clean up the park a bit, I would if I was there.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
reply to post by danj3ris

That's a great idea, but hasn't there already been a case where people tried to do just that at a Bank of America and were blocked at the door?

Do you think it would be that easy, or would they simply take a bank holiday?

Why would you need to actually go into the bank to withdraw your money. Im pretty sure most Banks have ATM's, right?

I know alot of Banks put a daily limit on ATM withdraws, but thats okay, because I dont know about all of yall but it would only take me a few days worth of Max withdraws to empty my account.

I think I may remove my money from my Capitol one account (even though they have treated me the best out of all the banks that I've used) and put with the credit union the company I work for has.

Remember remember the 5th of November, when everyone drew out their money and the banks yelled timber!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Bylaws, regulations and arbitrary rules that served only a few people sparked the protests, and now will end the protests.

Quite fitting really.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Why are the protestors not moving to a city owned park? In most cases across the country, Mayors are allowing the protest "occupiers" to remain, despite city ordinances that do not allow people in the city parks after a certain hour. Now, consider that if the protests in NY are disbanded, the rest of the cities across the country will have a very good excuse to do so as well, especially since they are mostly being tolerated as a supportive role to the original NY protest. In fact, our mayor specifically referenced that idea for allowing the occupiers to remain, for now...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
You know what gets me?!?!?! It's the insane hypocrisy of the US government...When the protests were going down in the Middle East/North Africa, the US backed the protesters and totally ignore the rule of law, property rights, etc. of those respective sovereign nations. Yet, the same sentiment does not apply to US citizens who posses, by birthright, the constitutionally guaranteed right to peacefully assemble.

Here is a nice montage worth watching....seriously, give it a view and then come back and tell me what is the difference between the OWS protest and the uprising in Egypt, Libya, Syria, etc....

edit on 13-10-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
You know what gets me?!?!?! It's the insane hypocrisy of the US government...When the protests were going down in the middle east/north africa, the US backed the protesters and totally ignoring the rule of law, property rights, etc... of those respective sovereign nations....yet the same sentiment does not apply to US citizens with the constitutional right to peacefully assemble....

Check this out if you havent seen it yet. It covers exactly what you were speaking of...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggyproductions05
No matter what, it is our right as Americans to assemble peacefully and that cant be stopped.

It can if it is on private property. The herd cannot trample on another persons rights.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

I understand that. What I was trying to convey is that although the cleaning may prevent that certain area to be used by the protestors but its not going to stop or even slow down the protests as a whole.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggyproductions05

You are probably right. They will lose steam the same way the tea partiers lost steam: disillusionment. The tea partiers were mad at the government, hence all the revolution talk. Many realized, even after the 2010 election sweep, no amount of name changes was going to restore America. A large portion became hopeless.

The other side of the coin is up in arms now, not that much is different now than during the tea partiers protest other than the majority party in the House. The too will realize that nothing will change things in ways other than what those in control want. In the meantime, now the Dems get a grass roots group to rally behind and manipulate.

In the end, they will be just as disillusioned as many of the tea partiers.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Maybe this plays a part, maybe not.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg's girlfriend serves on the board of directors for the private company that owns the park where Occupy Wall Street protesters have set up their home base, WND has learned.

www.wnd.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

This movement may lose steam, but only because of two things:

Winter and if it is co-opted like the TP was. It remains to be seen if anyone can really co-opt it at all.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

The MSM and Unions seem to be taking advantage of it. Dems have been supporters and Republicans have criticized it.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
~
In solidarity :
www.avaaz.org...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join