It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Interesting EQ Swarm in Turkey & Greece.

page: 1
9
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Been watching quakes for about a year now and this is a first (at least for me).

Never seen so many in this area in such a short space of time:

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

I know many are watching the bigger ones and especially paying attention to the West US but this is intriguing as well.

Turkey & Greece...2 problem areas...one in a potential financial collapse and one on the brink of war. And now this.

Anyway, not drawing conclusions but thought I'd bring it up as at least I find it interesting.

Puter Man...you out there?


Got some light to shed?

Peace



edit on 12-10-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)




posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Interesting indeed....

Turkey is known to be a place "to look for" when it comes to EQ but like you said, i've never seen so many in such little time?!

Don't know what to think.

Totally flagging this cause I want to be kept up to date

edit on 12-10-2011 by FrankLY because: Flag



posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I was about to say that they're both very active seismic zones and such activity is normal... until I checked the live earthquake map.
That is one serious swarm!
It looks like it's focused on Greece



posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I look at the global incedent map probably at least once a day, and I havent seen a concentration like that in that area before. I am not saying it hasn't/doesn't happen, or even guessing at the reasons for it. I just find it slightly unsettling.



posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoNameBrand
I look at the global incedent map probably at least once a day, and I havent seen a concentration like that in that area before. I am not saying it hasn't/doesn't happen, or even guessing at the reasons for it. I just find it slightly unsettling.


I watch it daily and for the last year, haven't seen anything like it.

Wonder if anyone with more knowledge can explain it.

I know that these swarms come in cycles but this is still intriguing for the area.



posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
S&F I too have been checking globalincident daily for at least a year and I don't recall seeing that region so busy before, even though it is a pretty active region. Certainly worth keeping an eye on.

Peace



posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
The Global Incidents map just started listing earthquakes less than 5.0 from around the world. They used to only list a certain magnitude in other countries aside from the US, I think.

But I think that's still more than usual in that area.



posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deadscreameyes
The Global Incidents map just started listing earthquakes less than 5.0 from around the world. They used to only list a certain magnitude in other countries aside from the US, I think.

But I think that's still more than usual in that area.


Agreed,

They started listing 5.0 and less about 4 Months ago as I believe. Seen them popping up in Canada at that time.

Still, these are quite large in the amount and the area although active, hasn't seen this much activity in those 4 Months either.

Good point tho.

Peace



posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Intresting it appears to be around the infamous "37 paralell" as well. I have been watching over a year and NEVER seen a swarm so big and fast not even the fox islands in alaska



posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 


Happens in Greece and Turkey but nice little swarm that and there is a seismo station right on top of it in Greece: ITM.HL..HHZ.2011.285 and yesterday: ITM.HL..HHZ.2011.284 and the day before: ITM.HL..HHZ.2011.283

163 quakes in Greece, 71 in Turkey

Turkey in a minute when I find the nearest.

Here is the Greek quakes in Google Earth from EMSC listings for the last 7 days


Turkey - Last 7 days from EMSC


Seismograms in a minute
edit on 12/10/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by jude11
 


Happens in Greece and Turkey but nice little swarm that and there is a seismo station right on top of it in Greece: ITM.HL..HHZ.2011.285 and yesterday: ITM.HL..HHZ.2011.284 and the day before: ITM.HL..HHZ.2011.283

Turkey in a minute when I find the nearest.

Here is the Greek quakes in Google Earth from EMSC listings for the last 7 days



edit on 12/10/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)


Thanx,

Yeah, the station is right there I see.

The area looks like Alaska and/or Cali right now. Wondering if something is gearing up?

Like everything, wait and watch.

Peace




edit on 12-10-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 


Not so good a seismo for Turkey: ARG.HL..HHZ.2011.285. I will find another.

Note I edited above with the Turkey map before you responded. We crossed.

ANTO.IU.10.BHZ.2011.285 - a bit more central but not really catching too many of them.

The swarm in Greece is interesting - I will look back and see if it has happened before.

This one is in Armenia: GNI.IU.10.BHZ.2011.285 - not much use really.


edit on 12/10/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Yes, the thing is they now also use the data from the CSEM-EMSC site.
www.emsc-csem.org...
That's why it looks like that imo.
The quakes you see there are pretty normal, right Puterman?



posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire
 


Hi, yes I believe them to be reasonably normal. The specific area where there is a concentration a present had a similar swarm in Jan 2020 and in May 2009, so they are not unknown at that spot.

Obviously keep an eye on the area not least because according to my very rough estimates Greece is due, or even over due for a mag 6+ from memory. They are not very regular but they tend to be around every three to four years and three years was last Feb as I recall.

I need to dig up my spreadsheets and update them.

If you go to my links you should find Greece earthquake listings from NOA in Athens.


edit on 12/10/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)


Here you go: Hellenic Unified Seismological Network (HUSN) Note they don't bother with stuff under 4.5!!


edit on 12/10/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan
 


That reminds me of this post
www.abovetopsecret.com...
From April this year



posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by jude11
 


Not so good a seismo for Turkey: ARG.HL..HHZ.2011.285. I will find another.

Note I edited above with the Turkey map before you responded. We crossed.

ANTO.IU.10.BHZ.2011.285 - a bit more central but not really catching too many of them.

The swarm in Greece is interesting - I will look back and see if it has happened before.

This one is in Armenia: GNI.IU.10.BHZ.2011.285 - not much use really.


edit on 12/10/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)


Agreed about Greece.

We do see some nice EQ's in Turkey (Not so many swarms tho) but Greece seems to be on the side of abnormal as far as I can tell.



posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Ramping up a little?

Hope the 6 that Puter Man mentioned doesn't come up.


quakes.globalincidentmap.com...
23 minutes ago
Magnitude: 4.4
DateTime: Wednesday October 12 2011, 20:51:34 UTC
Region: Eastern Mediterranean Sea
Depth: 51 km
Source: CSEM-EMSC Feed



posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by intergalactic fire
 


Hi, yes I believe them to be reasonably normal. The specific area where there is a concentration a present had a similar swarm in Jan 2020 and in May 2009, so they are not unknown at that spot.



Jan 2020? Shouldn't that be in the predictions thread?

Im assuming you meant 2002?



posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NoNameBrand
 


Um no I actually meant 2010.


Yup better get it move to predictions .... Mods! Where are you?

Wonder if I can still edit.........



posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire
 


Mm, maybe I did get it right after all.


Date/Time UTC,Latitude,Longitude,Magnitude,Depth(Km),Location
2011-04-01 13:29:12, 35.728, 26.454, 5.9, 77.9, Crete. Greece
2011-04-01 13:29:11, 35.540, 26.630, 6.0, 60.0, Crete Greece


Top is USGS, bottom is EMSC




top topics



 
9
<<   2 >>

log in

join