It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Aims to Build a ‘Data Eye in the Sky’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I continually refer to the Science fiction greats for two reasons, one I love the imagination that it takes to blend hard science and human truth, into something that most consider pulp, two, they have most often been correct in their predictions, I site Jules Verne, George Orwell, and William Gibson as my top three, however Asimov will always be the pen-ultimate, forgive the pun, I see great achievement and despair if his visions of our future come to pass, seems we are one foot that direction, just a question though, did any of these scientists see Terminator?
www.nytimes.com...

More than 60 years ago, in his “Foundation” series, the science fiction novelist Isaac Asimov invented a new science — psychohistory — that combined mathematics and psychology to predict the future.

This is what is frightening.

The most optimistic researchers believe that these storehouses of “big data” will for the first time reveal sociological laws of human behavior — enabling them to predict political crises, revolutions and other forms of social and economic instability, just as physicists and chemists can predict natural phenomena.

Gearing up for thought crime anyone? and the 1984 aspects of this are just ridiculous.

Some social scientists and advocates of privacy rights are deeply skeptical of the project, saying it evokes queasy memories of Total Information Awareness, a post-9/11 Pentagon program that proposed hunting for potential attackers by identifying patterns in vast collections of public and private data: telephone calling records, e-mail, travel data, visa and passport information, and credit card transactions.

While the data that is being "allowed is restricted too

The automated data collection system is to focus on patterns of communication, consumption and movement of populations. It will use publicly accessible data, including Web search queries, blog entries, Internet traffic flow, financial market indicators, traffic webcams and changes in Wikipedia entries.

It would seem to me a simple matter of want to switch the data collection to the former discussed information and that may already be a "built-in" aspect of this so called "Data Eye in the Sky"

The government is showing interest in the idea. This summer a little-known intelligence agency began seeking ideas from academic social scientists and corporations for ways to automatically scan the Internet in 21 Latin American countries for “big data,” according to a research proposal being circulated by the agency. The three-year experiment, to begin in April, is being financed by the Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity, or Iarpa (pronounced eye-AR-puh), part of the office of the director of national intelligence.

IARPA another alphabet agency dealing with domestic information...What the hell?? who are these jokers and how far is their reach?
en.wikipedia.org...

The Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity (IARPA) is a United States research agency under the Director of National Intelligence's responsibility. In January 2008, Lisa Porter, an administrator at NASA with experience at DARPA, was appointed director[1] of the activity formed in 2006 from the National Security Agency's Disruptive Technology Office (DTO), the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency’s National Technology Alliance and the Central Intelligence Agency’s Intelligence Technology Innovation Center.[2] The Director of National Intelligence in a September 2006 speech stated that the goal of the agency[3] is to conduct research that
Cuts across multiple IC agencies;
Targets new opportunities that lie in the white spaces between agencies;
Provides innovations that agencies avoid because of current business models; and
Generates revolutionary capabilities that will surprise our adversaries and help us avoid being surprised.

Holy crap

The Metaphor Program is a two-phase project designed to first develop automated techniques for recognizing, defining and categorizing linguistic metaphors and then use that information to characterize differing cultural perspectives. The Program is headed by Heather McCallum-Bayliss. On May 2011, IARPA issued an open solicitation for private sector parties to participate in the Program.

Cultural perspectives?? by linguistic analysis, so listening in on, or reading peoples communications without their awareness and defining what the person may or may not due based on their cultural background.

This should be disturbing to anyone that has a thought in their head.
I digress last bit from the article ill post

In its most recent budget proposal, the defense agency argues that its analysis can expose terrorist cells and other stateless groups by tracking their meetings, rehearsals and sharing of material and money transfers.

Or any other extremist, forgot that part, and we know who is on that list... anyone they put on it.
edit on 12/08/11 by LanternOfDiogenes because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/08/11 by LanternOfDiogenes because: forgot the link sorry

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
This already exists, it's part of a program that combines Echelon with biometrics and uses complex data sifters to predict future outcomes based on probability matrices.

I authored a thread about it in RATS, called "The Biometric Matrix : You can't HIIDE from the BAT"

Apparently I'm only allowed to discuss the biometric aspect, because any time I tried to author threads on the rest they were 404'd. Why? Because I know where to look for information and the information was undeniable.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Also, another reply in a different thread might help this discussion as they are similar in nature. Add this to my biometric matrix post, and you start to see something scary. Echelon at work.
(This is in reference to Minority Report, where the previous poster refuted it on the grounds that Echelon isn't run by clarivoyant children. We know that, of course, and instead they use things like these as well as unfettered access to all data over their DARPAnet.)

The Post :::::::: Below

Google and CIA Invest in Predicting the Future : Wired

Sorry, you were saying about clarivoyant children?

The company is called Recorded Future, and it scours tens of thousands of websites, blogs and Twitter accounts to find the relationships between people, organizations, actions and incidents — both present and still-to-come. In a white paper, the company says its temporal analytics engine “goes beyond search” by “looking at the ‘invisible links’ between documents that talk about the same, or related, entities and events.”

The idea is to figure out for each incident who was involved, where it happened and when it might go down. Recorded Future then plots that chatter, showing online “momentum” for any given event.

“The cool thing is, you can actually predict the curve, in many cases,” says company CEO Christopher Ahlberg, a former Swedish Army Ranger with a PhD in computer science.

Which naturally makes the 16-person Cambridge, Massachusetts, firm attractive to Google Ventures, the search giant’s investment division, and to In-Q-Tel, which handles similar duties for the CIA and the wider intelligence community.

Here's their website, and a video description.
www.recordedfuture.com...

Analytics, the type of data collected explained by SAS, a firm that sifts / collects and bases decisions off of it. Instead of thinking like a business, try to look at it as if you were a government wanting this software and you see how powerful it is.

Think Social Media isn't an important aspect? The government would spend thousands, if not tens of thousands or more on creating a dossier on someone. Now, you do it yourself for free.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
SAS are the same people that brought spiders to bear for market research if I remember correctly. and you say your other topics got 404'd eh? well that is interesting. You had a lot of information there my friend. Things like this are the reason I do no internet transactions and I dont have an ATM/CC. If you dont think that doesnt cause issues sometimes...try top get your "free" credit report without a card... next to impossible.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LanternOfDiogenes

Teehee, I couldn't resist the post grubber
I was being nice

join