It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

yet again....Another dead satellite to fall in November

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Defunct German spacecraft will follow similar route as NASA's UARS

A defunct NASA satellite that fell to Earth last week sparked some worldwide buzz, but it's not the only spacecraft falling out of space.

The decommissioned German X-ray space observatory, called the Roentgen Satellite or ROSAT, will tumble to Earth sometime in early November, but it's still too early to pinpoint exactly when and where debris from the satellite will land, according to officials at the German Aerospace Center.

The 2.4-ton spacecraft's orbit extends from the latitudes of 53 degrees north and south, which means the satellite could fall anywhere over a huge swath of the planet — stretching from Canada to South America, German Aerospace officials said. [ 6 Biggest Uncontrolled Spacecraft Falls From Space ]

www.msnbc.msn.com...-XK2Akc

au.ibtimes.com...

Looks Like there all starting to fall.......The world is in bad shape and space is not having any good days either.
edit on 10/11/11 by awcgs because: remove unworking video

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review This Link
edit on Thu Oct 13 2011 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

That is quite a leap right there. From this↑

to this↓

Looks Like there all starting to fall......

Do you have any idea how many man-made objects are currently circling this planet?

*they're

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

That is quite a leap right there. From this↑

to this↓

Looks Like there all starting to fall......

Do you have any idea how many man-made objects are currently circling this planet?

*they're

Yes and the fact that there are so many of them is a accident waiting to happen and I fear it is just a matter of time.

www.space.com...
There are serious challenges ahead in mitigating space clutter now orbiting the Earth, problems that are exacerbated by the rise of small satellite launchings as well as using debris removal techniques that mimic anti-satellite systems.

Experts focused on the escalating menace of orbiting litter during ?Green Space: Addressing Space Debris - End of Life Operations,? a recent session at the Space 2009 Conference and Exposition in Pasadena, Calif., staged by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.

Recent maneuvers by both the space shuttle and the International Space Station to avoid speeding space junk have helped flag the issue. So too has the February 11 collision between Russia?s defunct Cosmos 2251 satellite and a U.S. commercial Iridium spacecraft ? purportedly the first time two intact spacecraft have accidentally rammed into each other.
Moreover, China?s anti-satellite test in January 2007 peppered low Earth orbit with thousands of fragments that continue to plague the safety of healthy spacecraft operated by multiple nations.

Over 20,000 objects are being tracked at present, noted William Ailor, Principal Director of The Aerospace Corporation?s Center for Orbital Reentry and Debris Studies in El Segundo, California. ?A large majority of those are in low Earth orbit,? he said, consisting of dead satellites, spent rocket bodies, as well as large debris fragments from collisions and explosions.

Ailor said that untracked objects ? greater than one centimeter in size ? are estimated to range between 200,000 and 600,000 bits of flotsam, such as slag from solid rocket motors, liquid metal droplets from nuclear reactors, as well as items like lens covers that are shed during operations.

These objects, most of which flitter through low Earth orbit, are of a size that could take out a satellite, Ailor added, or could reduce the performance of orbiting assets.

SO.....
I made quite a leap, Wonder Why?

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

edit on Thu Oct 13 2011 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Lets just hope that terrorists never get spacecraft and start aiming these falling satellites at skyscrapers

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by awcgs
SO.....
You're leaping a lot, we can't tell you why, only you know that.

You mention one satellite falling, and make a comment about them all starting to fall. If you wanted to support you're statement that they're all falling you'd need to show hundreds or thousands of them falling.

We have launched hundreds of satellites a year on average, and if they all fell it would thousands. The geosynchronous satellites are now supposed to be launched with a plan of putting them into a graveyard orbit since there is limited space available in that orbit. they probably will not fall anytime soon but many others will eventually.

Also, please add EX tags. I won't report your post but you can get banned for 3 days for what you did:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by Springer
Going forward, if you post something that is not 100% your own writing or work you must use the EX TAG, ...

Failure to do so will get you a MANDATORY 3 DAY POST BAN on the first offense...

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by awcgs

Yes and the fact that there are so many of them is a accident waiting to happen and I fear it is just a matter of time.
Obviously, everything is "just a matter of time."
That is a far cry from, "They're all starting to fall."

Not only this↓......

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
Also, please add EX tags.......
... but also, if you're gonna post dates, you may want to pay attention to them, and make any necessary adjustments.

That article was clearly written 2 years ago.

Date: 07 October 2009

When you copy & paste this↓,

Recent maneuvers by both the space shuttle and the International Space Station to avoid speeding space junk have helped flag the issue. So too has [color=E8FFBA]the February 11 collision between Russia?s defunct Cosmos 2251 satellite and a U.S. commercial Iridium spacecraft ? purportedly the first time two intact spacecraft have accidentally rammed into each other.
it should be modified to clearly show that this collision occurred on [color=E8FFBA]February 11, 2009. The year is an important bit of information.

Here is a simulation of that accident. It is not flawless, but nonetheless, it is still an interesting video.

SO.....
I wondered the same...

There is no denying that there is way too much crap floating around up there, but it is not all starting to fall. Sometimes, it doesn't hurt to keep in mind that many people are extremely gullible. No reason for trying to push unnecessary falsified fears onto others who may believe it.

edit on 10/11/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

your right, but was my threat about a another satelite fallin to earth? yes
was it about ROSAT, a German X-ray telescope? yes
and when is it to fall? November 2011
What happened in 1998 was part of a reply to

Defunct German spacecraft will follow similar route as NASA's UARS That is quite a leap right there. From this↑ to this↓ Looks Like there all starting to fall...... Do you have any idea how many man-made objects are currently circling this planet? *they're

and I in returned said:

Yes and the fact that there are so many of them is a accident waiting to happen and I fear it is just a matter of time. www.space.com... There are serious challenges ahead in mitigating space clutter now orbiting the Earth, problems that are exacerbated by the rise of small satellite launchings as well as using debris removal techniques that mimic anti-satellite systems. Experts focused on the escalating menace of orbiting litter during ?Green Space: Addressing Space Debris - End of Life Operations,? a recent session at the Space 2009 Conference and Exposition in Pasadena, Calif., staged by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. Recent maneuvers by both the space shuttle and the International Space Station to avoid speeding space junk have helped flag the issue. So too has the February 11 collision between Russia?s defunct Cosmos 2251 satellite and a U.S. commercial Iridium spacecraft ? purportedly the first time two intact spacecraft have accidentally rammed into each other. Moreover, China?s anti-satellite test in January 2007 peppered low Earth orbit with thousands of fragments that continue to plague the safety of healthy spacecraft operated by multiple nations. Over 20,000 objects are being tracked at present, noted William Ailor, Principal Director of The Aerospace Corporation?s Center for Orbital Reentry and Debris Studies in El Segundo, California. ?A large majority of those are in low Earth orbit,? he said, consisting of dead satellites, spent rocket bodies, as well as large debris fragments from collisions and explosions. Ailor said that untracked objects ? greater than one centimeter in size ? are estimated to range between 200,000 and 600,000 bits of flotsam, such as slag from solid rocket motors, liquid metal droplets from nuclear reactors, as well as items like lens covers that are shed during operations. These objects, most of which flitter through low Earth orbit, are of a size that could take out a satellite, Ailor added, or could reduce the performance of orbiting assets. SO..... I made quite a leap, Wonder Why?

Now there was no ex tags... my bad, but I believe I was on topic and had correct dates as for my Quote of

Looks Like there all starting to fall.......The world is in bad shape and space is not having any good days either.

It was an expression of my feelings. you know..... Whats next? an after listening to this nbc video which i did not include,, I made the statement "looks like there all starting to fall" which was my opinion after hearing The words "They can`t stay up there forever"
www.youtube.com...

Uploaded by ItsLikeMOXNEWSd0tCOM on Oct 6, 2011

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
So Tell me again, Is the event I`m talking about, Happen in 1998 or is it to happen in 2011. Thank you for reminding me of the tags and If I need to be banned for it than I will take my punishment like a good ATS member.

There is no denying that there is way too much crap floating around up there, but it is not all starting to fall. Sometimes, it doesn't hurt to keep in mind that many people are extremely gullible. No reason for trying to push unnecessary falsified fears onto others who may believe it.

Yes your right. there is alot of space junk up there and over time some of it will return to earth, as for the gullible people out there, live is not a fairy tail. My intentions was not to but unnecessary falsified fears onto others, but to relay, that everything that go`es up must come down, and eventually they will come down. Most ats members are not stupid and most are not gullible, so give them some respect and let them decide for themselfs, if it is worth doing the research or becoming paranoid over a fact of truth. This satelite will fall in nov. 2011 and more will follow. If you feel I`m wrong..That`s your opinion. The only mistake I made here was not butting the tags in and not giving enough info on this topic.
Peace

edit on 10/12/11 by awcgs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by awcgs

I had a somewhat lengthy reply typed up, but it's not worth it. I deleted it.

For some reason, you're twisting things around. I don't even know what you're talking about, in parts of that post. I figure that you have most likely confused yourself, almost as much as you're confusing me.

I'll just leave it at this:
[color=FFADC6]Your rite. There all fallin. Run for the hills. Get out while you still can!

[color=A3D7FF]Good luck dodging the space bullets.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
LEO satellites decay and re-enter the atmosphere all the time. In the last month, 34 satellites or pieces of satellites re-entered the earth's atmosphere. One was UARS. The others were all unrelated. A whole bunch more are forecast to burn up in the next 60 days. One is ROSAT. UARS was interesting because a NASA shuttle put it in orbit, and because of its size, but it is not unique. Most of these go completely unnoticed and unreported by the media, but the phenomenon is nothing new and what is being reported now is only the tip of the iceberg. That's not to say it's something you should worry about, it's to say that so many satellites do this so often that it's clear that the real risk of being killed by a falling piece of a satellite is quite low. Debris hitting the ground is nothing new, but earth is a big place.
www.eclipsetours.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The earth's surface is a big place, LEO to geosynchronous orbits is even a much larger space, an exponentially larger space. Think of the average depth of the deep ocean, maybe 5 miles deep from the surface, then consider LEO begins about 220 miles AROUND that, and geosynchronous extends over 22,000 miles further OUT AROUND that, (earth is about 7,900 miles in diameter, about 25 miles greater at the equator). This is the space littered with objects that number about the same amount of people in an average city. Looking at the real data doesn't make it look so crowded now does it.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

look All I said was that a Satelite in Nov.2011 is going to fall back to earth. then I stated that there all going to fall. Now in time they will loose there orbit and fall. that`s a given. all tomorrow, I don`t think so. I was bringing to the attention that this Satelite that they lost control of in 1998 or so was now going return back to earth in the first week of Nov. 2011. as for "there all falling down". It was a comment I made in regards of the last Sateliye that fell in the last month. So I retract the statement of there ALL falling and revise it as Some are falling. Now ...to be exact, In November in the first week, a Satelite [ROSAT, a German X-ray telescope] will fall back to earth.And there not all falling just a few,but maybe more in the future. My statement in the original post was not accurate. Again they are not all falling,,,Just at least 2 have. So I ask the question....How many more will fall as close in time as the last two?
I Stand Corrected. Now someone call and tell msnbc that they can stay up there forever.
Watch and listen...www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
what the hell is causing all of these satellites to die?

and dont give me this "it happens all the time crap" because it doesnt. until recently.

i think theres more going on up there than we realize!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnrelentingLurker
and dont give me this "it happens all the time crap" because it doesnt. until recently.

Yes, it does. Don't tell me it doesn't, I've been tracking satellites for years now and have seen the fact that their orbits get lower until finally they decay and re-enter. Here's a list of satellites that re-entered in 2000:

1999-073C
MOLNIYA 1-57
MOLNIYA 1-67
PROGRESS-M 42
STARSHINE
SL-12 PLAT
MOLNIYA 1-64
COSMOS 1093
COSMOS 2106
SL-12 PLAT
PROGRESS-M1 1
MOLNIYA 3-36
LACE (USA 51)
GRO
COSMOS 1005
COSMOS 1145
SOYUZ-TM 30
MOLNIYA 1-68
SL-12 PLAT
COSMOS 1077
SL-12 PLAT
SL-12 PLAT
EARLY BIRD
SL-12 PLAT
COSMOS 1278
SL-12 PLAT
COSMOS 955
SL-12 PLAT
BATSAT
SL-12 PLAT
PROGRESS-M1 2
INTERBOL 1
TUBSAT N1
SL-12 PLAT
OFEQ 3
COSMOS 2306
PROGRESS-M1 3
MOLNIYA 1-76
COSMOS 2373
QUICKBIRD 1
IRIDIUM 79
SL-12 PLAT
IRIDIUM 85

Here's the list of satellites that have re-entered so far this year:

2009-028E
QBX1
SMDC ONE
QBX2
PROGRESS-M 08M
MOLNIYA 3-49
TACSAT 2
PROGRESS-M 07M
ORBVIEW 3
SOYUZ-TMA 1M
HTV 2
PROGRESS M-09M
COSMOS 1222
WIRE
COSMOS 1793
SOYUZ-TMA 20
ATV 2
OGO 5
RASAD 1
PROGRESS-M 11M
HAWKSAT 1
COSMOS 2388
SOYUZ-TMA 21
UARS
CP6

Pretty standard stuff actually. The only difference between then and now is the media attention.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Thank you...maybe not all [wrong choice of word] but many. I believe this is just the beginning. Most of them have been up there for many of years, and the orbits will decay over time and what will go up must come down. Been happening for along time and will continue, especially now that the shuttles are not going to be able to go up and repair them.
or did I word something wrong in this comment, which is my opinion not fact.

top topics

join