It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2009 TMB lurking again at Lunar Distance 0.9

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
If you are not aware, unofficially, Earth has more than one moon.
One of these is the 10 meter Asteroid named 2009 TMB making a 0.9 LD approach in a week or so.
Another of Earth's extra 'moons' is a bit larger asteroid called 2003 TN107, but next closest approach for that one isn't for another 50ish years.

Anyway, here's an old article on both of them:
Extra Moons

and if you scroll down to the bottom of this next page for the listing of asteroid approaches, you'll see a listing for 2009 TMB with a Lunar Distance of 0.9 listed in red for October 17.

The DOOM Map

Please note, there's nothing to be alarmed about. these asteroids have been in near earth orbit for millions of years, and they pose the same non-threat they did before you ever knew about them.

Edit: Also, not to be alarmed about is an even much bigger Asteroid 2005 YU55 making a close approach to Earth on Nov 8 at a Lunar Distance of 0.85
2005 YU55 Close Approach

edit on 10-10-2011 by nineix because: added 2005 YU55

edit on 10-10-2011 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I didn't know we had more than one moon!

But 10 meters? It has to be the smallest one! But if it was to fall on Earth, I don't think it would be very very dangerous, no?
It would probably, mostly vaporize during entry. ( Notice I didn't say re-entry... )

Thanks!

EDIT: Welcome to ATS, by the way!

edit on 10-10-2011 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
When I was a kid, we didn't even hear about a wildfire in California, or I wasn't paying attention.
Now we can be informed if a used rocket hull flies by from the 60's-70's space race mistakenly identified as a UFO or NEO, until it was correctly identified as being man made, on it's own solar orbit. Really this happened earlier this year if I'm not mistaken.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Yes, I remember about that rocket story. I wonder what it will look like, after a few million years of dust collecting in space! And being hit by small projectiles along the way...

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
There is only one natural object orbiting Earth, and that is the Moon. The handful of asteroids that some people consider as extra moons are in orbital resonance with Earth. However, they orbit the Sun.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Mogget

This is true and some refer to these objects as 'Trojans' or trojan moons, though the real orbital dynamics are centered around the barycenter in a Lagrangian point of stability to a smaller mass like the earth, but it could appear that way if you took the trojan and earth without the sun and diagram it. Being in an earth lagrangian point virtually assures a collision is impossible.

Now a more complex simulation of the 'horseshoe' orbit.

new topics

top topics

join