It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disinformation & UFO's...Where's the truth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Disinformation is false or inaccurate information that is spread deliberately. It is synonymous with and sometimes called Black propaganda. It may include the distribution of forged documents, manuscripts, and photographs, or spreading malicious rumors and fabricated intelligence. Disinformation should not be confused with misinformation, information that is unintentionally false. It is an act of deception and blatant false statements to convince someone of an untruth. A common disinformation tactic is to mix some truth and observation with false conclusions and lies, or to reveal part of the truth while presenting it as the whole (a limited hangout).

"...deliberate spreading of false information to mislead an enemy as to one's position or course of action..."

"...distortion of true information in such a way as to render it useless..."

"...techniques designed to engage emotional support, disinformation is designed to manipulate the audience at the rational level by either discrediting conflicting information or supporting false conclusions...."

Another technique of concealing facts, or censorship, is also used if the group can effect such control. When channels of information cannot be completely closed, they can be rendered useless by filling them with disinformation, effectively lowering their signal-to-noise ratio and discrediting the opposition by association with a lot of easily-disproved false claims.

So, in review of what we understand about disinformation techniques and the Agencies that utilize said techniques, I ask the following questions:

-How do you think our government/military has used disinformation when dealing with the UFO phenomena against the American public?

-Has it been effective? Has it out-lived its usefulness?

-How have they utilized disinformation to cover up for Special Access Projects/Black Projects?

-In this age of technology & networking, how will disinformation techniques change to meet these challenges?

-With the explosion of technology and networking, does the military still have a need for disinformation?

Cheers!

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I will tell you the only real way to know the "Truth".

You have to see it for yourself with your own eyeballs.

I honestly can't imagine any other way you would be able to know for certain with high accuracy.

Having co-witnesses helps reinforce that it's not a hallucination as well.

Think of how rarely the mass population goes outside at night and just looks at the sky for a few hours. There is a valid explanation of why so many people don't see ufos too often. (They are too busy watching TV).

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I will tell you the only real way to know the "Truth".

You have to see it for yourself with your own eyeballs.

I honestly can't imagine any other way you would be able to know for certain with high accuracy.

Having co-witnesses helps reinforce that it's not a hallucination as well.

Think of how rarely the mass population goes outside at night and just looks at the sky for a few hours. There is a valid explanation of why so many people don't see ufos too often. (They are too busy watching TV).

I agree, "Seeing is believing," "The devil is in the details," and "The proof is in the pudding." (I also agree that Americans watch too much t.v., but that's for another thread! Lol) But what happens when what we are seeing has been mixed with disinformation? For example, let's say you and I are star-gazing and we think we see a UFO. The craft is hovering, saucer-shaped, and atypical of what we know of military aircraft. But let's say that craft is terrestrial in origin, and not from space. The truth we know at that time is false, seeing is not believing. But we believe whole-heartedly that it was aliens! How has disinformation shaped our understanding of the phenomena that hovers before us?

Thanks for reading and your reply!!

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911
-How do you think our government/military has used disinformation when dealing with the UFO phenomena against the American public?

-How have they utilized disinformation to cover up for Special Access Projects/Black Projects?

-In this age of technology & networking, how will disinformation techniques change to meet these challenges?

-With the explosion of technology and networking, does the military still have a need for disinformation?

I think they have successfully made it a taboo subject in at least half the population through ignorance and ridicule and misrepresentations in the media. It's still not taken seriously although considering the implications of the subject, it should be taken extremely seriously.

It has been an effective campaign, and I am unsure if it has outlived it's usefulness. We will have to wait and see about that one I suppose.

Yes disinformation is certainly an option available when it comes to covering things up, I would assume they employ tactics like this more often than not. Sun Tzu and all...

In today's world I can't imagine how disinformation techniques would be able to keep up with the free thinking Internet. There is always a part they failed to cover up, that's how it always works. There are infinite routes to figuring things out, so it is impossible to cover them all. You can cover the most typical routes though, which makes covering things up an art in itself. I see the current paradigm of disinformation propaganda as quickly becoming obsolete and being outpaced.

And your last question, I don't think there really is a need for disinformation in the first place. The population has always been pretty crazy and misled on it's own without any help. Myself included.

It would be nice if the topic was finally taken seriously for once though. I've had my share of inexplicable sightings and would like to be treated like a human being by my government and at least have them acknowledge the facts. I don't think anyone would ever believe them though since they have already lied so much about it.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

"I see the current paradigm of disinformation propaganda as quickly becoming obsolete and being outpaced." I feel this is an accurate statement. I think the effectiveness of "traditional" disinformation tactics will either give way to newer deceptive techniques, OR, more likely, will just go away. I think the way the Air Force has handled current inquiries into Area 51 substantiates this thought.

Example: Area 51, previous official Air Force comment: "There is no such facility designated Area 51." New official Air Force comment: "There is a remote detachment of Edwards AFB operating near Groom Lake."

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911
I think it's possible that they have infiltrated some UFO related organisations, maybe even getting to positions in which they could lead things in a particular way, I think that's the most effective way.

Looking at what we know now and what we knew some 60 years ago, I think it has been effective, if it has been used, and I think it has not out-lived its usefulness.

Presenting them as something else. I wouldn't be surprised if some cases that are presented as "clear evidence of Alien presence" were the specific cases in which they had been covering special projects, because if, at the same time, they present people that believe in Aliens as some kind of pariah, people talking about those cases would be less likely to be believed than if they were talking about special, secret projects.

The only difference is the way the information is spread and how easy it is to get information, so it really helps their work. Something like trying to find some event that happened on September 11, in any year except 2001; today that's almost impossible, not because the information does not exist but because is drowned in information related to a different event.

If they still want to keep something secret, then yes, things didn't change just because more people have more high end technology at hand, technology is a tool, not the reason for the secrecy.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

I think they have successfully made it a taboo subject in at least half the population through ignorance and ridicule and misrepresentations in the media. It's still not taken seriously although considering the implications of the subject, it should be taken extremely seriously.

It has been an effective campaign, and I am unsure if it has outlived it's usefulness. We will have to wait and see about that one I suppose.

Yes disinformation is certainly an option available when it comes to covering things up, I would assume they employ tactics like this more often than not. Sun Tzu and all...

In today's world I can't imagine how disinformation techniques would be able to keep up with the free thinking Internet. There is always a part they failed to cover up, that's how it always works. There are infinite routes to figuring things out, so it is impossible to cover them all. You can cover the most typical routes though, which makes covering things up an art in itself. I see the current paradigm of disinformation propaganda as quickly becoming obsolete and being outpaced.

And your last question, I don't think there really is a need for disinformation in the first place. The population has always been pretty crazy and misled on it's own without any help. Myself included.

It would be nice if the topic was finally taken seriously for once though. I've had my share of inexplicable sightings and would like to be treated like a human being by my government and at least have them acknowledge the facts. I don't think anyone would ever believe them though since they have already lied so much about it.

I suggest that some of you review the TV videos of the late Joseph Campbell. Pay attention to the segment about myths, how they are created and the purposes they serve for society, culture, and in our instance here, governmental operations and control. the modern word would be "social ingineering." The decades of official denial when the proof is in your face (if you have a sighting or an actual encounter) are meaningless. So there are those that do become convinced along the way with personal knowing; they will not be swayed. But those that don't get in the know are in limbo and that is where the myth building begins and it grows and grows without serious harm being done to the protectedd structure of society because there is no proof either way.

After a time, if there really is nothing to it, the myth evaporates on its own as nothing remains to tempt believe or occurrs to sustain it. If there is something of substance there, something actually far more than just there, something that belies a whole new universe of thought and being, then the myth grows until it is eventually realized in fact. Such as we have it now. We are being lead down the garden path to our mildly induced disclosure, at some day.

As for the original OP's questions for denial and secrecy, the UFO represent the greatest military weapon ever know. That is the short answer.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Thanks for the reply! You present some interesting views on disinformation. I think its a fascinating subject.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

"I don't think there really is a need for disinformation in the first place. The population has always been pretty crazy and misled on it's own without any help. Myself included." Well said!!! Myself included!!

new topics

top topics

join