It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: Banned Books and The Loss of Free Thinkers

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   
In case my last post didn't make sense... these books are usually banned because they incorporate racist terms. ATS automatically deletes the word that these books are often banned for... One of which I used as an example, above, that was deleted...

...which is extremely ironic... because this op/ed piece complains about censorship but automatically deletes the words that the books on this list are banned for.

I hope that someone in management here notices the irony involved. Censorship IS WRONG... but complaining about censorship and then editing any post that notes what this censorship is because of is... contradictory...

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Looking back... maybe the above is still not clear... so let me break it down:

1.S-O wrote a piece decrying censorship.
2.I wrote a post stating that most book 'bannings' are because of racist language.
3.My very post was edited by the ATS censors because of the example I used.
4... Which kinda undermines S-O's point.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 04:28 AM
link   
holy crap how close are we? now they are trying to steal our history ?!

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams 3. My very post was edited by the ATS censors because of the example I used. 4... Which kinda undermines S-O's point.
Not really. There is a distinct difference between ideas and the language used to express them. www.abovetopsecret.com... We've made clear our need for automated censors. For example, a quick query of the database reveals over 3,000 occurances of the "F-word" (spelled correctly) in ATS posts (not BTS). A site-ranking spidering system would catalog that level of significant vulgarity and place our domain on block lists. Which is more important... expressing your swear-word or expressing your thoughts? Pick one... and only one.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join