Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Police to Seattle protest supporters: Honk if you'd like a ticket

page: 2
36
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ToneDeaf
.
sounds like a Republic of China

edit on 9/10/11 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)


pssst....that means Taiwan, the police over there are very non-draconian. But I get what you mean though...




posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Codazzle
yeah its pretty tough up here in seattle,

the cops arent here to mess around!

neither are we, i like how they helped pay for the ticket, good hearts..

STAY STRONG MY FRIENDS!


I understand your comment, it seems to me though that is exactly
what they are doing..

MESSING AROUND with protesters, now the drivers, who is next there own mothers?

I wonder if the cops mom drove by and honked would they give her a ticket?
If they would well then they are the BIGGEST POS I have ever known..



posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Where have I seen this happen before? Oh yes the Kelly Protests, people whom past who honked were stopped by police, and ticketed. One way of trying to stop people from supporting the protestors.



posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
i guess the seattle police have not visited rome or athens,....now thats what you call honking



posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
The good news is that the cops were doing their job and correctly enforcing the law.

If they ticket people outside of the time restrictions imposed by the law then we have a real problem.

And though I support the protesters, I also dislike unnecessary noise late at night.

So everybody now understands what constitutes a "peaceful" protest.


PEACE



posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
ok i have to admit i'm truly confused by this one


One the one hand, the story doesn't say what the infraction was so i'm "presuming" it was a noise ordinance of one kind or another (not looking it up right now) ... if that be the case, after 10pm, unnecessary civil disturbance should be addressed or the law wouldn't be there.

on the other hand, since it was just honking and not truly disturbing the peace, why the hassle?

does this ordinance / law state that no one can honk a horn after 10pm?
(some days i wish we had one of those) ... but, what if the cabbie was trying to get the attention of a potential fare?
so, does this mean that NO driver may use their horn after 10p or have they set aside specific ... "honking zones"? ;(

i find it odd that the story only indicates 2 cabs were pulled over.
i was by a FL protest site the other day and nearly every other car passing was honking ... but it was daylight/biz hrs. i just find it odd that no "civilians" are mentioned as being ticketed.
and, since most cabbies are "independent contractors", what message does this send to others?

either way, i do think the fine was outrageous ...

i would think a warning should have been sufficient

kudos to the protesters who pitched in to cover the expense

and thanks for setting a good example that we do take care of each other
edit on 9-10-2011 by Honor93 because: add txt



posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee


The good news is that the cops were doing their job and correctly enforcing the law.

If they ticket people outside of the time restrictions imposed by the law then we have a real problem.

And though I support the protesters, I also dislike unnecessary noise late at night.

So everybody now understands what constitutes a "peaceful" protest.


PEACE



Wow a definite sheeple answer above.

I have to subscribe to "Russia Today" to even get news about constitutionally allowed public gatherings going on. The U.S. has turned into Russia today of the 60's. It's like when Russia went democratic or else our spin doctors let it come out they were that the tightening of the noose here began.



posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Their argument is this; the automotive horn is a device designed for safety, not communication. So my solution is this; whistle, shout, let yourself be heard from the windows of your car. A “drive by protest” as it were. If honking has become taboo, change your method of communication. Place a sign on your car; let everyone recognize your support of the cause. If you let them silence you, you’re giving them a leg up on squashing this movement.



posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Are they not using these ordinances over the Noise level and the amount of time people in their cars are Honking. The done exactly that when drivers were honking in support of Kelly Thomas's Supporters. They are just trying to discourage and stop others from supporting these protestors. That in itself is ridiculous. I would challenge the over use of this power when it is your entitlement to support protests.

Have there been complaints from residents? That is a question I would be asking. If not then I would be questioning the validity of the Tickets.
edit on 9-10-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
YOu know whats funny, here in Califonia you have to pay $300 for running a stop sign but its only a $100 fine for having marijuana in your possession. Whats up with that? Sorry off subject had to vent what I experienced in court



posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
Are they not using these ordinances over the Noise level and the amount of time people in their cars are Honking. The done exactly that when drivers were honking in support of Kelly Thomas's Supporters. They are just trying to discourage and stop others from supporting these protestors. That in itself is ridiculous. I would challenge the over use of this power when it is your entitlement to support protests.

Have there been complaints from residents? That is a question I would be asking. If not then I would be questioning the validity of the Tickets.
edit on 9-10-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)


Originally posted by FugitiveSoul
Their argument is this; the automotive horn is a device designed for safety, not communication.


Right in the middle of a big hustling city..

Someone said horns are for safety and NOT communication?

Unless your deaf, your COMMUNICATING,
to someone a safety hazard/cut you off to close,
merging in your lane, *where did i park the car*,
THAT is a moot point..
A horn in every way IS a communication device.

Dumbest reasoning in the world if someone sticks to that...

Noise ordinance laws are used at night, they can ticket you ALL DAY for this!


So let me get this right,
the city of Seattle has a law,
where it must be illegal to honk your
horn at all and any time?

Sounds pretty DRACONIAN to me!!
edit on 9-10-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
This is the problem with TPTB. This is what our tax dollars are paying for? How absurd.

I won't be surprised if the cops up the charges to "inciting a riot". That appears to be how they operate. Instead of out trying to bust the real ciminals, they waste their time on frivolous stuff like this.

This is why taxes are so high. Now this "ticket" will need to be processed, then have a court hearing, tying up the court system, administrative staff..... all for what $114.00. The whole court process will costs the tax payer much more than that!

To serve and protect.... how is that protecting me?

THAT"S WHAT THEY DON'T GET. TPTB don't have any COMMON SENSE!!!!


Here is a video of the incident with an interview of the taxi driver. The incident is at 1:00.

edit on 9-10-2011 by Julie Washington because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alchemst7
YOu know whats funny, here in Califonia you have to pay $300 for running a stop sign but its only a $100 fine for having marijuana in your possession. Whats up with that? Sorry off subject had to vent what I experienced in court


That's a rather easy answer.
Running a stop sign is dangerous, Marijuana isn't!
Running a stop sign can kill you and others.
Having marijuana in your posession can't kill you nor can it kill anyone else.

I agree with the poster who said that we need to get a little more creative in how we show support if this
honking of the horns is now going to get us ticketed.

What I'd like someone to tell me is.....What happens if you refuse to pay the ticket?
What happens if you say enough is enough and put your foot down?

I think we all know the answer.
The fact that you could actually LOSE your freedom for showing support for the ideas of another is
exactly what we are facing.
edit on 9-10-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Reply to post by popsmayhem
 


My brother received a citation for excessive honking after a high school football game. It was a rivalry game and our team won, and the crowd was going crazy. Everyone whooping and hollering im the parking lot, and people driving off honking their horns in celebration.

The rival school's district police were pulling people over and giving them citations for excessive horn honking.





 
Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com
 

edit on 10/9/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem
 


That's why I try to avoid driving in Seattle, or even driving trough Seattle.
Not only is the place a little on the gloomy side, and everybody takes themselves way to seriously there, and the cops there are ticket happy as well, they will give you a ticket for the stupidest of things.

I once even got one for speeding when i was coming down a hill on the a main city highway not even really in the pedestrian areas, I had my stick-shift in neutral so I picket up speed going down the hill and when I got the bottom of the hill, there was a bike cop hidden in the corner were no body could see him.

And the messed up thing is.
There were people in front of me going faster or the same speed as me. I think they just pick up on the people who have crappy cars because one guy in front of me by a couple of cars and was going faster then me was in a nice BMW, and the car I was in was an old beat up Toyota. Oh yes they have there quotas to fill, and pressures from above to adhere to, really if it came down to it, the police is just the long arm of the elite or those in power.

After all is that not what all of them say after every war, even after WW2 everybody every, soldier, low ranking officer, high ranking officer, policeman, and everybody else down the chain. What was sum of all there quotes? When asked why they did as they did.

"We were just following orders"
edit on 9-10-2011 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)
edit on 9-10-2011 by galadofwarthethird because: freaking spelling.



posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by popsmayhem
 


My brother received a citation for excessive honking after a high school football game. It was a rivalry game and our team won, and the crowd was going crazy. Everyone whooping and hollering im the parking lot, and people driving off honking their horns in celebration.

The rival school's district police were pulling people over and giving them citations for excessive horn honking.





 
Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com
 

edit on 10/9/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)



I wouldn't call driving by and giving A honk to the Seattle protesters
excessive.
These are not crazy sports induced mobs (can we say Canada hockey riots :lol


This was a cab driver on the job working,
who drove by and gave one little honk!!!

I get where your coming from, these situations are totally different.

Honking for this protest is almost worth getting a ticket to fight in court..

Honking and going ape crap over a sports team? Sounds half dweeb deee deeeee deeeee.



posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   


Do they not see that they are only making it worse, the police crack down is getting worse and worse with the protest.

How long before a 2nd shot heard round the world?

The more authority you throw at the protest, the worst the uprising is going to be.

Isn't this why we bombed the # out of Libya for cracking down on protesters?
edit on 9-10-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl


Do they not see that they are only making it worse, the police crack down is getting worse and worse with the protest.

How long before a 2nd shot heard round the world?



Nail hit on the head!!!

At first I thought the protesters were over reacting
to the police behaviors. (read my older posts)

Now I can totally see how the police really ARE inciting
and wanting to rise tensions!!!

I mean, I can not support the police on this one
it is totally crazy.

The police WANT a RIOT to break out!!
So they can get off on hitting people
and spraying tear gas fetish.



posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Incidents like this, the pepper spraying.. and soon, I'm sure; beatings and then they'll deploy the LRADS..
Every time they ratchet it up, it angers more and more people, until they snap.

If this happens, America will never be the same again.. Another revolution.

I think the Wall street people should also be in front of the Capitol, DEMANDING every single Senator (And reps) to resign and elect new people.. not ancient fossils that have been there for decades. If they can't agree on how to handle problems, maybe we need NEW 'leaders' that can! BOTH Dem and Reb are horribly guilty.
edit on 10/9/2011 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)
edit on 10/9/2011 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pharyax
Incidents like this, the pepper spraying.. and soon, I'm sure; beatings and then they'll deploy the LRADS..
Every time they ratchet it up, it angers more and more people, until they snap.

If this happens, America will never be the same again.. Another revolution.

I think the Wall street people should also be in front of the Capitol, DEMANDING every single Senator (And reps) to resign and elect new people.. not ancient fossils that have been there for decades. If they can't agree on how to handle problems, maybe we need NEW 'leaders' that can! BOTH Dem and Reb are horribly guilty.
edit on 10/9/2011 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)
edit on 10/9/2011 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)


Well, I do not think we can say EVERY senator, and REP. are bad.
That is a a broad generalization.

There are a few good ones in there.. (there has to be)
I hope, I really hope for the sake of our country...

Back on topic, I found it odd that the Seattle police department decided to put a
sign up saying your not allowed to honk, AFTER the fact of them writing tickets..

That is like hitting you with a knight stick, THEN warning you to move....

Shouldn't you be warned first!!!????!!!

Or at the very least, not give that TAXI driver a ticket because
there was no sign up yet!!!
edit on 9-10-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)






top topics



 
36
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join