It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stoics, What's the point of living if you don't feel anything?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
"What is the point of living if you have absolutely no emotions and thus can't care for anything or have empathy?"

Who has absolutely no emotions? Psychopaths? They're the only ones who could answer. And while there may be one or two psychopaths as members here, I doubt they're going to come forth and explain it to you.

Your question reminds me of something like: What's the point of having children if you eat them as soon as they're born?
In other words, how many people actually do that?

I think you may be wanting to ask a question, but haven't landed on it yet. What brings this up? Why do you ask? Is there someone you know who has absolutely no emotions?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I'm not understanding Stoicism

The creative universal consciousness manifests as everything from serial killer to vegetable.

Everything is simply an experience, whether pleasurable or otherwise.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Interesting thread. One of the things I've found in aging (yikes, I'm almost 60!!!) is that the gradual and often painful accumulation of wisdom shows up how many bad judgments you've made, and that it is best to reserve judgement as much as possible. By making judgements you miss the really important intricacies of people and events, and at any rate, many times you will make bad or overblown judgements. By releasing yourself from faulty quick conclusions you can gradually release yourself from fear, revulsion and hate, which after all hurt you far more than anyone else.

I believe that the best part of any religion is the part that teaches this release, though I believe Sidhartha (Buddha) stated it the most clearly. Of course in tempering these negatives, the tempering of the euphoria of youthful existence - and the newness of life - goes hand in hand. It's like a manic-depressive who is gradually healed and moves to the middle, away from the extremes. Stoicism is perhaps a good word for the outward projection of these traits, though there are others that might fit better (stoicism has kind of "putting on a face" regardless of inner chaos connotation).

Of course there are many "adults" who never go through this transition, for one reason or another. They're the ones you really need to look out for!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
OP I think you're saying "if you can't feel, why do anything"

but everyone feels something, no matter what they claim

my life is just breaks between endorphins

no one is a robot

I promise, if I stop feeling entirely, I'll off myself

on the other hand...... why should I bother to off myself either? if I don't care if I live or die... isn't the easiest thing to just keep on livin?

death will find me eventually anyway.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

If you can't feel, there's not reason to keep living OR kill yourself. You might as well just stay in one spot doing nothing.

No feeling of motivation to move or to eat or to drink or to do anything at all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join