It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pole shifts, ever heard of them?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Never heard of those things.
I will take a look into that.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

Little more looking into this topic and I find this, again hosted by Cornell

It's a paper by Giuseppina Nigro and Pierluigi Veltr, and was published by Universit`a della Calabria, Dipartimento di Fisica and Centro Nazionale Interuniversitario Struttura della Materia.

In particular the model is able to reproduce the dynamical situation in which the large-scale magnetic field jumps between two states which represent the opposite polarities of the magnetic field, reproducing the magnetic reversals as observed in geomagnetic dynamo and in the VKS experiments.

Sounds like they're modeling geomagnetic systems and are beginning to understand the possible mechanics of reversals.

One of the most fascinating and challenging topics in physics and astrophysics is the understanding of the generation and self-sustaining of magnetic fields in planets, stars, galaxies, etc. The most accredited mechanism is the so-called dynamo effect, i.e. the maintaining of a magnetic field against diffusive effects by the motion of electrically conducting fluid
emphasis mine

If the natural dynamo can be understood, could it be replicated in some form? What could you do if you could generate a self-sustaining magnetic field?

In 1955, Parker [5] suggested that the net effect of averaging many small scale turbulent motions would be to produce the large scale electric field (α effect) generating large scale poloidal and toroidal magnetic field. The latter can also be generated by the differential rotation (α-Ω effect).

So the magnetic field of the earth, sun, and other stellar bodies all begin life as small perturbations in electrically conductive elements and propagate out in a synergistic effect producing immense fields from the initial tiny motion.

Could these small scale turbulent motions be caused by the torsion field that is implied as imparting spin to all structure regardless of scale?

The middle graph below represents magnetic reversals (pole shifts). I find it very reminiscent of the magnetic striping you showed in the OP.

Not that the majority of the reversal happen pretty quickly, that is the line is thin as it switches domains from + to - relatively abruptly. There are, however, several occurrences as the line traverses the graph horizontally from left to right that the line is very thick, indicating that the field is both + AND - concurrently.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join