It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctic Whale Hunt won't be Canceled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

The annual Antarctic whale hunt will be carried out later this year under heightened security to fend off activists who have vowed to disrupt the cull, the fisheries minister said Tuesday.

The nation's whale hunts have become increasingly tense in recent years because of clashes with the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. The most recent expedition was cut short after several high-seas confrontations, and it was unclear if this year's hunt would come about.

Commercial whaling was banned in 1986 but Japan continues it's whale hunting under the guise of an allowance for limited killing for research purposes.

Whaling is a big part of Japan's cultural identity and the majority of it's citizens support it(mentioned in cited article). But with this still going on and the infamous rounding up and slaughtering of dolphins in Taiji...

Is it time to say "enough"? Can Japan put their cultural traditions behind them for the good of the environment and the saving of these species?

Sea Shepherd recently announced it is calling its effort to obstruct the December hunt "Operation Divine Wind" — a reference to the kamikaze suicide missions carried out by the Japanese military in World War II.

Source

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

The madness will not stop until somebody gets killed.

I wish they would stop hunting them.

Or at least settle on a number.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
reply to post by kalunom

The madness will not stop until somebody gets killed.

Some nearly did:

Last year's season was marred by repeated incidents with Sea Shepherd vessels, one of which sank after a Japanese whaling ship chopped off its bow. The boat's captain, New Zealander Peter Bethune, was later arrested when he boarded the whaling ship from a jet ski, and brought back to Japan for trial.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
While the Sea Shepard's have had some silly and wonky snafus they have been remarkably effective. Considering they have an all volunteer crew that is not bad. I look forward to each and every episode of Whale Wars and truly wish I could be of more help. I am not as nice as them though and there is no doubt I would care little about the Workers lives on the Japanese Vessels.

Three months before their last campaign I sent them diagrams of the exact prop fouling device they used to disable one of the vessels. it worked just as I thought it would. Although I have zero idea if they used my idea or if one of the other monkeys proposed it. I think it is high time to send them my plans for a submersable powered prop fouler..........

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I don't get some people sometimes, I bet most of these people that are going to protest this eat meat, I don't understand how they justify to themselves that certain animals deserve life more then others. Like the cow on their burger is less important than some other animal. I realize whales are very intelligent mammals but they protest pretty much any animal that is cute or something in most cases. This is coming from someone who has been a vegetarian since I was old enough to buy my own food too.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

Thankyou, I'm glad someone started a thread about the Japanese and their school children whale meat lunch box.
I am a rebel at heart and nothing makes me jump and spin like the Sea Shepards tangling with the whaling industry.
I watch all the episodes and love the prop foulers and rancid butter assaults they undertake. Reminds me of days when the neighborhood bullies would get egged or have their houses toilet papered. Their mission is much more dangerous. The environment they operate in is very unforgiving of complacency or ignorance.

Last year they were the most successful they have ever been in tying the hands of the Japanese fleet by outright maneuver, blocking the slip ways of the factory ship. Now they are threatening to "heighten security" huh? Tell them Shepards to look out, it seems the whalers don't know when to quit (go figure). It is a corporation with millions in profit at stake and they will find a way to be as dastardly as when they rammed one of their ships.

A safety addition to their operations would be more prior training in sea rescue scenarios in case of any more "accidental sinkings."

Good luck guys. Sick 'Em!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Autodidactic
I don't get some people sometimes, I bet most of these people that are going to protest this eat meat, I don't understand how they justify to themselves that certain animals deserve life more then others. Like the cow on their burger is less important than some other animal.

I must have not yet received the memo.

Are cows nearing extinction??
That sucks. I like a good bloody steak.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

You must have missed the memo about over 99% of all species that ever existed went extinct too.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kalencom

the fisheries of many countries are run by criminals, Japan Canada, Spain, China, etc.

the irresponsible "hunting" of whales, dolphins, seals. tuna on the basis of culture is a political cover to prevent any real look at fisheries and the destruction of the Ocean's life.

i have no sympathy for the criminals involved in this immoral activity.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Autodidactic

You must have missed the memo about over 99% of all species that ever existed went extinct too.

Ah ok. I guess that's a good enough reason to kill off all living creatures.
We should keep the tradition going?

top topics

join