It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movie Apocalypses – could they really happen?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Here's a list of some of the more popular film extinction events.
ATS really needs an Eschatology forum.
Anyway, with the build up to the release of 'Melancholia', Yahoo lists the most prevalent end of time scenarios and the scientific probability of each - Movie Apocalypses – could they really happen?

I've been waiting to see Melancholia for quite some time. There is something very scary about that film. The fact that it's designed for a non-conspiracy audience (e.g. women) and there is no happy ending, more like it is telling us to prepare ourselves for what's coming.

Ironically, concerning the Infertility section, I do in fact sit on an old microwave on my balcony whilst having a cigarette.... Luckily I've already had my brood.

edit on 3-10-2011 by Aestheteka because: spelling

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
So now it's established fact is it? -

In the real world, or should that be universe, it’s generally thought that Earth is unlikely to be the only life-bearing planet in existence - we are indeed (probably) not alone.

Amazing how the 'real world' has changed in the last decade....

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Not sure if this is against T&C but the film Melancholia has been uploaded to putlocker. Haven't seen it yet but looks very interesting.

Melancholia

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JustBreathe11

Man, I could marry you for that

Good call!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Aestheteka

Glad to help.

Thanks for bringing that film to my attention.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Big things have already happened in mankind's history.
Read Velikovsky.
The Flood that came from an exploding Saturn entering mankind
into the age of Saturn. "Ben Hur" had times delineated in the papyrus
Impuwer or was that "The Ten Commandments", whichever had the
time of Exodus.

www.google.com...

12th, and 11th centuries BC, global catastrophes, Bible, Papyrus Impuwer, Medinet Habu Tablets, Homer, Illiad, Odyssey, Hinduism, Roman, ...

Times were bad for years.
Rocks were thrown down from the sky over the Arabian peninsula that later
on Lawrence of Arabia had to cross over.

As long as the cosmos stays cool we can keep going from the last event in
600 BC when Danial ended the exile under a new calendar which we still
have today.

Other than Earthquake and tidal waves, tsunami is Japanese for title wave
set forth in the official international language, we might do OK from now
on.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I found the first half of Melancholia to be slow and tedious but the movie did redeem itself. A very dark movie. Certainly provides food for thought but left me with a general feeling of foreboding. The movei The Black Swan hit me about the same.

Personally, I worry about a lot of the science fiction I see, as I watch the scientific developments make them possible. Let's face it, we've seen a good bit of 1984 come to pass. I've seen articles on batteries that are powered using body heat and motion and of course, I think about The Matrix. Then, you see the developments in robotics and AI and scenes from The Terminator play through my mind. The latest Planet of the Ape movies very neatly explained how the rise of the apes could occur. Clone movies... well, who's to say it isn't occuring now?

I so miss the good old days when the only scary movie I could seriously contemplate coming to pass was Cujo.

top topics

join