It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wall Street occupation inspires Canadian protesters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Inspired by protesters along Wall Street and in other U.S. cities, hundreds are expected to occupy Toronto's Bay Street in two weeks to air their various grievances against the financial system and its wealthiest companies. The protest near Wall Street in New York is entering its third week, and doesn't appear to be slowing down. In fact, a police crackdown has only emboldened protesters and some are now expecting the "occupation" to continue into the winter. The organizers of Occupy Toronto plan to descend on King and Bay Streets on the morning of Saturday, Oct. 15 to set a base of operation to prepare for a march on that Monday. Organizers hope the occupation will last into the following week.

toronto.ctv.ca...

CTV picked up the Occupy Wall Street story, they didn't seem bias about it, more neutral, but with the G20 veterans from the protests last year they may stop by as well.

Vancouver also starts in two weeks, so me thinks Occupy Wall Street is having far reaching effects on both sides of the border.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
And it spreads. This is going Global. Lets just hope the Police in Canada wont be as brutal as their counterparts in the NYPD. Good luck with your occupation.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Yea at first I thought this was just a North America thing as all I saw were cities in North America protesting all of what is going on these days.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
hopefully this will spread to the far corners of the western world,
even if it only wakes a few people up, the wall street protesters have done well and got the ball rolling.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by hypr2011

I knows, just remember follow your fellow American protestors, do no violence, swamp the police with truth and love. That way they cross the line, they will be the ones in the spotlight if they follow the NYPD.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
ea true I really don't know if I will be going or not, but spreading the word helps. However there is the one thing that may make things change is if the G20 veterans do anything violent, but we all seen and heard what happened at G20 right?

Toronto and Pittsburgh should both be what North America keeps their eyes on.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by hypr2011

What the same way they treated protestors During the G20 Riots in the UK. Yes knows far well how those things go. And agrees spreading the word is always useful. Need to get on face book also to let everyone know, your friends etc.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I want to thank the canadian protesters since now. A great contribution to create the critical mass of people we need. Now we know we never needed to wait for a leader to start the revolution, we all are leaders, and that is what the elites fear. This time, they can't stop us attacking a leader like they did with JFK, MLK, N. Mandela, Che Guevara or many others all over the world.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Yes, true, but they can kill our means of communication.
The internet.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
reply to post by Trueman

The internet.

I don't think they will do that. It will be shooting themselves in the foot. Even corruption uses the internet.

On top of that, killing the internet will bring the greatest attention and they don't want that at all.

"Hey man, why is the internet down?"
"Oh, just because of those peaceful protests for change"

From then on, the whole world is involved IMO. Fly the flag, and good luck Canada.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Hopefully it becomes more widespread here, there is a lot of social inequity in Canada, people think Canada is doing just fine, but we are just as prone to economic slowdown and hard times as anyone else

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
reply to post by Trueman

The internet.

The concept of an internet shut down is just another idea implanted in our minds. They loose more than us doing that, starting with the commercial impact that action would have. Fear nothing brother.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Anyone else getting flashbacks of the G20 protests? Hopefully we can stand up better this time (not that I was there, I mean us Canadians)...

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I hope not, because it would damage the credibility of well everyone. I did receive news a few hours ago that United Steel Workers Union is sending their support.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
why wasn't this planned earlier in the summertime? the weather can have an effect on the willingness of some people to go out and voice their concerns.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Way to go Canada! The people of the world have to stand together and break the bonds that make us slaves to the corporate elite and our governments.

For too long the world has been lied too, manipulated, over taxed, used as pawns for political gain and corporate interests, slaughtered for political wars, robbed of our earned income, persecuted for political dissent, controlled and manipulated by corporations, unknowingly poisoned by government controlled experiments, food and water additives, ignoring basic human rights, allowing corporations and government agencies to pollute our environment, and ignoring the voice of the people.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

"I can show you, that when it rains and shines, it's just a state of mind" - Rain, The Beatles (talking about how people run into the shade when the suns out, and just stay inside when it rains cause they're too fussed to just deal with it... my interpretation anyways)

I understand... Fighting against the corruption that has ruined this world would be quite bothersome if it start snowing... God forbid we actually have to go out in the cold...
edit on 2-10-2011 by SpreadLoveNotHate because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SpreadLoveNotHate

There is probably no better people suited to be protesting in the cold and snow than canadians, we were born on skates in igloo's eh.

Seriously, a little cold weather is not going to stop most canadians from supporting this cause if they feel inclined to do so, they'll just bring booze in Thermos to keep em warm.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
yeah because us canadians didnt ever protest before the occupy wallstreet protests

not

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
If Toronto police are as aggresive as NYPD, the protest will be longer, and more violent than it ought to be. Smart police forces would do nothing against peacfull protest.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join